Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine wanted to go back home to Chicago for the weekend. After a long night of drinking, he decided he wanted a "souveneir". We drove around Chicago at 3:30 am looking for said souvenir. Mind you, this was in his 60's era Lincoln with the suicide doors, so not conspicuous at all....... He finds an unchained one on some street corner and decided to take it.

I am SURE he will get busted by the cops, so I pretend to pass out in case one comes by. He gets it into the trunk somehow and the trunk actually SHUTS!!!

On the way back to his house, he asks if I want to see where William Perry lives (NFL player nicknamed the "Fridge"). I say no, but he drives there anyways, SHUTS off the car, and proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs (Fridge, YOU SUCK!!!), until the lights come on in the house.

My friend jumps into the car and we take off. From that point forward, I DROVE.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sober? Work-related? Selling the ship's brow banner.
Oh...please tell me you're going to put this kind of stuff in your book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I have too many....you guys would think I was a danger to myself if I posted them........
When are you starting your book?

After reading these posts, it's no wonder we all want to retire early.... We're worn out...

Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We regularly had bottle rocket wars, one ending with a sweater on fire.
I almost forgot about bottle rockets! My crazy Kansas cousins who came up with the M-80 in the apple routine also shot bottle rockets at my brother and I. I remember seeking safety in my Grandad's old pick up truck until they ran out
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Multi-gendered group skinny dipping. :-)
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh...please tell me you're going to put this kind of stuff in your book!
Oh, it already went in a book...

It was a different Navy then. Sigh.

Besides I can't see how this story could possibly further the causes of ER or career enhancement, other than as an example of why we should all strive to be financially independent as soon as practically possible.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Not sure, but tequila was probably involved...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My DH has been on permanent tequila restriction ever since we were dating. When we lived at the beach, he had a very bad habit of disappearing from the house, going down to the beach, going swimming naked, then losing his clothes. No more tequila!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was in elementary school, my best friend lived out in the country, right across from a huge field that was about 3/4 mile long and 1/2 mile wide. The guy who owned it ran sheep, but he had given us permission to ride my friend's horses in it so long as we didn't chase or harass the sheep.

So one summer day, having read a little too much Marguerite Henry (Pride of the Palio), we shimmied into our swimsuits and onto the horses sans tack (no bridles, no saddles). We drew lots and my BF lost; she rode to the far end of the field. We faced the horses towards each other and then, whooping like maniacs, kicked them into full gallops.

When we got abreast of each other, we tried to shove each other off the horses. This is at a dead run, with nothing to hold onto. The first couple of times we missed, but finally we started getting "good" at it and one or the other of us went flying. I fell so hard that I plowed a 6-foot-long furrow in the field with my shoulder.

It's a miracle we didn't break our necks. It's even more of a miracle neither of our parents found out.

Whether or not this was better than stealing the neighbor's ATV and joyriding through three acres of ripe wheat (which I had done with another friend at the tender age of six) remains to be determined...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #29

Awesome Urchina--I have suffered under the same delusions, mine perhaps brought on by Linda Craig's Chica de Oro series. I attempted to jump from one horse to a loose, very skittish horse in a field who was peacefully eating grass until this object dropped from the sky onto his back!

I lasted about 10 seconds before getting dumped and felt like I totally deserved it! Good thing we never figured out your game--surely would have killed ourselves!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

OK, another one, this is quite stupid:

The Mississippi River Bridge, La Crosse, WI

I jumped off THIS bridge on a dare in the middle of the night, how dumb was that? Luckily I was wearing a life vest and had a boat waiting for me nearby. 68 feet is a LONG way down, to me.........

NOT worth $100, even though that was 1983........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Awesome Urchina--I have suffered under the same delusions, mine perhaps brought on by Linda Craig's Chica de Oro series. I attempted to jump from one horse to a loose, very skittish horse in a field who was peacefully eating grass until this object dropped from the sky onto his back!

I lasted about 10 seconds before getting dumped and felt like I totally deserved it! Good thing we never figured out your game--surely would have killed ourselves!
That's not bad! I think rodeo bronco riders only have to stay on for 8 seconds.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Dropping water balloons ...

Out of the Atlanta hotel's 'way-up-there' floor, during a Speech and Hearing Association convention. We were all ****-faced drunk. We filled up 7 or 8 balloons, plus we added some creamers from the coffee trays. We had to unscrew the anti-suicide jumper windows. Said window was almost directly over the hotel's entrance.

Worst part was when we ran out of balloons, so, in a totally ****-faced drunken flash of inspiration, I suggested we use condoms. That was a real hit. We fill these with a mixture of cream, milk, sugar and water, and--leaning 'way out, with another drunk's hand on my leather belt-- we dropped these for a while.

I'm pretty sure we got some folks.

I stumbled back to bed, about 2:00 AM. Got up, ate, gave my talk on objective analysis of vocal disorders without the use of instruments. Then packed up and flew home.

My wife -- at the time -- helped me un-pack, and 'commented' upon the 5 unused condoms that she found in my suitcase. She didn't say anything about the handful of 'non-dairy creamers' she also found. There were issues of truthfulness and believability. The divorce came on about 5 years later, after being systematically ruined.

I was about 32, then.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
All I remember of that night was bouncing off the hallway walls from one side to the other on the way home. Remember the hangover much better.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
All I remember of that night was bouncing off the hallway walls from one side to the other on the way home. Remember the hangover much better.
Ah...the Human Pinball trick.
Ever take a ride on the Horizontal Ferris Wheel ?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ah...the Human Pinball trick.
Ever take a ride on the Horizontal Ferris Wheel ?
You don't want to be ridin' below me on the Ferris Wheel!

Just kidding, I was the one who got "rained" on; don't remember which ride; it had spinning cages, may have gone round like a ferris wheel.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
You don't want to be ridin' below me on the Ferris Wheel!

Just kidding, I was the one who got "rained" on; don't remember which ride; it had spinning cages, may have gone round like a ferris wheel.
The Horizontal Ferris Wheel is when you stumble into your room, lay down on the bed, and the room starts spinning.
Putting 1 foot on the floor is futile.
Sitting up is futile.
Resistance is futile.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Horizontal Ferris Wheel is when you stumble into your room, lay down on the bed, and the room starts spinning.
Oh yeah, that's right, I was home.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

It was in Boulder, Colorado in the winter ...

... of 1962, I think. Some how, I'd gotten friends with the fencing club, and we'd somehow gotten plowed on 3.2 beer (you have to fast for several hours, first, then 'tank up' fast). We all had on our gear, and so the little car bristled with ancient weaponary, including a rapier-and-dagger kit. Anyway, there were 7 of us in an old, standard VW beetle (the one with the air-cooled engine in the rear). It was COLD, and the streets had been plowed, in such a way that the curve of the road, that shunted water off to the drains on either side, had been reversed.

So we were driving in a sort-of 'U'-shaped snowy ditch, up the center of the street, which was glare ice. Somehow, the overloaded little car made it almost to the top of the hill, and then the tires spun.

And then, with 7 drunken undergraduates yelling obscene things and waving foils, epees and sabers out the windows, and with the tires spinning uselessly on the ice, we slid backwards down the street for some 20 blocks or so, gaining speed with every block.

We hit nothing, and no one official saw us. We finally plowed into a deep snowbank, which jammed the stubby tailpipes of the VW back into muffler, we climbed out, and managed to walk back to school.

I had to chip the car loose the next day, as it was effectively buried in dirty, half-melted and re-frozen snow.

Then, of course, that summer, I took it into the Rocky Mountains, to a dude ranch, where I managed to bend the crankshaft (from the inside), herding horses with it.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #39
Administrator

I was always a "good little girl" and never pulled any crazy stunts. That was because my two big brothers pulled such hair-raising stunts that there was no point! Besides, I saw the consequences which were awful.

For example, my oldest brother was stopped by the police when driving the family car ten miles from home on the other side of the city... when he was seven years old.

They pulled off many more equally outrageous stunts. The only stunts I was involved in were theirs, such as when we purposely ditched our parents in Tokyo at ages 6 (me), 10, and 11, and spent a lovely afternoon window shopping by ourselves. Our parents were freaking out because thought we were lost.

The next year we were visiting New Orleans and my oldest brother sneaked out of the hotel room and spent the night carousing, drinking, and watching the adult shows on Bourbon Street. They didn't really check ID's on Bourbon St. so even though he was just 12 he had a ball (and my parents were furious).

Six years later my other brother blew up the toilet at college with some chemicals from his chemistry lab (yeah, REAL mature! not. He had to pay for it, too.).

I don't remember this one because I was too young, but back when I was a baby, they dropped a heavy, room-sized oriental rug off a 20 foot balcony from the second floor on top of our baby sitter, who had been chatting on the phone for a long time - - it knocked her down and completely covered her, and she never saw it coming. She never came back. But me? Nope. No stunts that I can recall.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Putting 1 foot on the floor is futile.
Sitting up is futile.
Resistance is futile.
Is this related to the bed turning into a cylinder?

Also recall laying on the bed, watching the ceiling crawl into one corner.