What is the first music record you bought?

In-a-gadda-da-vida - what a great song.
Thanks for the memory I'd almost forgotten! When I was a teenager, my buddies and I wore the grooves off two albums, listening to them every day after school: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (mimicking playing the drum solo every time) & Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Attachments

• 220px-In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.jpg
    220px-In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 220px-Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band.jpg
    220px-Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for the memory I'd almost forgotten! When I was a teenager, my buddies and I wore the grooves off two albums, listening to them every day after school: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (mimicking playing the drum solo every time) & Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Oh yes, Sgt. Pepper brings back lots of teen memories. What a great period for music! :cool:

T-bird

IIRC this was the first album I ever bought, then age 15. I lived in Germany at the time, so it may not have been as popular in the USA. Not that they were my favorite band, that was and will probably always be The Beatles...#1 on my iPod/iTunes.

Have this on vinyl and CD. Also had it on 8-track. My first big-name concert was Steppenwolf, March, 1970, which was the tour they recorded for this album.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, I can still leg slap the solo even without the song playing. now where are my truck keys?

Have this on vinyl and CD. Also had it on 8-track. My first big-name concert was Steppenwolf, March, 1970, which was the tour they recorded for this album.
So cool. I would have given anything to see them play - then and still now, one of my favorites.

One night in high school, after dinner, everyone sitting around the living room watching tv (mandatory attendance). In my best antisocial way I was listening to music with headphones - Steppenwolf. All of a sudden I notice everyone staring at me. That's when I realized I had been singing along with the music - The Pusher Man. guess which line I sang out loud. :LOL:

My first big show was Jimi Hendrix, Dec 1 '68 at the Chicago Coliseum. The ticket was a birthday gift, my folks had no idea what they were giving me.

Last edited:
My first real rock & roll concert was Santana in 1972 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. I loved it, though my ears were ringing until at least noon the next day, seriously. And I've never been anywhere with more smoke in the air. Fun thread, brings back great memories - I think...

Ok now we are talking concerts, Jefferson Airplane, 22 March 1970, Baltimore Civic Center.

Mea culpa. We are hijacking this thread unfairly. Let's get back to david1961's original question
What is the first music record you bought?
and someone can volunteer to start a new thread on first concerts - which is a great topic.

OK, 1st album was:

OK, I'm going to have to [-]take back[/-] revise my original answer.
Strange... I don't recall losing any brain cells until many years later in college.

One night in high school, after dinner, everyone sitting around the living room watching tv (mandatory attendance). In my best antisocial way I was listening to music with headphones - Steppenwolf. All of a sudden I notice everyone staring at me. That's when I realized I had been singing along with the music - The Pusher Man. guess which line I sang out loud. :LOL:

I remember borrowing the soundtrack from Easy Rider from a friend. My mom was what I'd call somewhat "out of touch", and I was able to [-]BS[/-]... persuade her it was an anti-drug song... :angel:

I'm definitely young for this crowd. My first one was this one, Split Enz, a band from NZ, in 1980. The record itself was colored, which was very cool at the time.

And to really ruin my reputation, my first concert was to see Paul Young (he of the "Every Time You Go Away" fame. But oh, was he hot stuff to me at 13! :cool:

Attachments

• Split_Enz_-_True_Colours.jpg
    Split_Enz_-_True_Colours.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 58
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

I still have that album and all my others in the garage in boxes. I wonder how they've held up through several heat waves? Maybe I should take a look and see.

I remember borrowing the soundtrack from Easy Rider from a friend. My mom was what I'd call somewhat "out of touch", and I was able to [-]BS[/-]... persuade her it was an anti-drug song... :angel:

:confused: Ummm, it was (and is) anti-drug.

-ERD50

:confused: Ummm, it was (and is) anti-drug.

-ERD50

Anti-hard drugs, more precisely. After all, he did smoke a lotta grass...

Written by Hoyt Axton, who also wrote Snowblind Friend, from Steppenwolf 7.

Speaking of Steppenwolf 7, the song Renegade is one of my favorite Steppenwolf songs.

Another from the eight-track archives... :LOL:

Renegade -- Steppenwolf - YouTube

First 45: "Superstition", Stevie Wonder, 1972. Funky!

First LP: "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road", Elton John, 1973

Some great music.

Yeah... some of us are actually to young to have bought a "record" for our first musical experience... : o )
First cassette tape: Twisted Sister ! (ha.. 10 year olds have no taste)
First CD: INXS 'Listen Like Thieves' still stands up.
First MP3: The Pogues

Yeah... some of us are actually to young to have bought a "record" for our first musical experience... : o )

Don't think I ever bought a pre-recorded cassette tape, just mixed my own from my LP collection.

Don't remember my first eight-track, but might have been Grand Funk Live...

Live Album (Grand Funk Railroad album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First CD was Santana's Greatest Hits. Had the short, "radio" version of Evil Ways... :mad:

Johnny Cash - Live from San Quentin - I have no idea why.

Bad news, Koogi. If you bought Twisted Sister, then you ARE old enough to have bought records.

It happens I just bought a record 2 weeks ago. Patterson Hood. LIstening to it now. Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom