Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So strange to see the USPS Grumman out front Sunday to deliver 3 bags of Doggie Dental Treats. My world she is a changin'.

(We did discuss whether Amazon would purchase the Post Office and add it to their drone fleet.)
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/ADX-Durable-Al...pr_product_top

We have a bigger flashlight and lantern for camping, been meaning to get a smaller one that does both to pack when traveling.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #223

A box arrived today with some more picture framing/hanging stuff, a dusting brush (twice I've had to disassemble a framed photo because some bit of dust snuck in there) and this will hopefully help) little soft plastic cushions to go on the back of the frame and hold it off the wall. That allows air circulation behind the frame and in areas with high humidity can be important for mold prevention. It also reduces the attraction to insects since there's no little crack to hide in.

Another box should arrive tomorrow and that'll be it for a while.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuixiu View Post
Just ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/ADX-Durable-Al...pr_product_top

We have a bigger flashlight and lantern for camping, been meaning to get a smaller one that does both to pack when traveling.
That looks very nice! I notice one of the reviews says that he has operated it for over 30 hours without needing new batteries.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #225
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just bought a replacement windshield washer pump for the car, and two replacement remotes for the garage door opener.
Quote:
I am not happy with Amazon!

Placed an order with them early on Tues. Received an email that the order got shipped today. I had hoped to get it before the weekend, so that I can take it with me back to the boonies home to do some work. And this is not the 1st time for me that the order is not shipped until the 3rd day. Definitely not happy!

I have been buying from eBay, and these small mom-and-pop vendors often ship the same day if you place an order early in the morning. Digikey, an electronic part vendor, has that as a policy.
So, the order was placed on 6/24, which was last Tuesday. I got the garage remotes on Sat 6/28, but where is the windshield washer pump?

Logged onto Amazon. It says "Preparing for shipment". What preparation? It has been 1 week. It sounds like they don't have it on their shelf, and have to go out to get it. By the way, this item is shown as sold by Amazon, not an outside vendor.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, the order was placed on 6/24, which was last Tuesday. I got the garage remotes on Sat 6/28, but where is the windshield washer pump?

Logged onto Amazon. It says "Preparing for shipment". What preparation? It has been 1 week. It sounds like they don't have it on their shelf, and have to go out to get it. By the way, this item is shown as sold by Amazon, not an outside vendor.
Contact Amazon - I've had a couple items seem to get 'stuck', even when they still show 'in stock' on-line. They suddenly ship hours later. Just a glitch I think.

One time they said something about I used 'rewards' for part of the payment, but those rewards were not fully credited yet, or still WIP or something? Then why did they appear for me to use? I assume they got that bug fixed.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That looks very nice! I notice one of the reviews says that he has operated it for over 30 hours without needing new batteries.
Yeah isn't LED stuff great? Our LED camping lantern (too bulky to pack) is supposed to run for 20 hours on bright mode, something like 7 days on dim. It is crazy.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #228
Gone but not forgotten

I bought a Florida Gators cane for my SO who will be having knee surgery in the near future and is a giant Florida Gators fan .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #229

We stopped ordering anything physical from Amazon a couple of years ago because the shipping costs were frequently more than the cost of the books etc. We still use Amazon for e-books but that is all.

For free delivery of books, we like the Fishpond service.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah isn't LED stuff great? Our LED camping lantern (too bulky to pack) is supposed to run for 20 hours on bright mode, something like 7 days on dim. It is crazy.
LED Lantern is very useful. Handy in the attic, back yard, and in small work space (does not give off much heat).

Latest purchase was a set of Briggs and Stratton power washer nozzles. Cheaper than a stores off brand set, and delivered next day for free, as they added it to an order placed previous day with Prime.

N
The challenge is deciding which color nozzle to use. The original three nozzles were obviously different in pressure and color. Now I have to pause and try them out. Playing with water in the back yard is so much fun.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #231
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nite Ize Steelie Car Mount Kit for Cellphones

I didn't order it, DW did and gave it to me for Father's Day. By far, the best, most versatile mounting system for car phones I've seen. DW is waiting for them to go on sale again to buy one for herself and pick up a couple more for gifts.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
We stopped ordering anything physical from Amazon a couple of years ago because the shipping costs were frequently more than the cost of the books etc.
You shouldn't have to pay for shipping from Amazon since it is free for orders over $35.

Either buy enough books at once or stack your order with their ever expanding inventory of other household items. Cat food, household cleaner, light bulbs, spices, etc. there is almost always something to stock up on.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #233
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You shouldn't have to pay for shipping from Amazon since it is free for orders over $35.
Note that traineeinvestor posts from Hong Kong.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #234

Ohh!

I retract.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #235

Update on previous post - after using my new Breville Smart Oven for several weeks, I really like it. Large enough for a casserole or frozen pizza, good controls, shuts off automatically when time is done. Excellent purchase! If it weren't for this thread, I probably would have bought another cheapo toaster oven, so thanks!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #236
Recycles dryer sheets

A box of deck screws.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Pickelball paddles and balls. Ordered June 22. Still waiting. amazon.ca
Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

One of those folding camp chairs with a cooler bag hanging off of it. Made a resolution to myself to get to the beach more often this summer. Need more than a beach towel to sit on.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
One of those folding camp chairs with a cooler bag hanging off of it....
Like one of those mentioned near the end of this clip?

After giving away my 30+-year old cheap dining table via Craigslist, I just ordered from Amazon a nice little table for my new digs for under $100 (which includes ~$50 in shipping charges).

Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Running belt by Camden Gear. Want to use an iPhone running app and I don't think I'd like an iPhone armband. It can clearly hold an iPhone. Hoping to get rid of slight spare tire. (I can dream, can't I?)