Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #301

DW came up with a framing job for me, a poster print that was her grandfather's. So in addition to a custom 19x30 frame from Craig Frames I ordered Krylon Preserve it spray, which is supposed to help with the acid burn (makes it turn brown) Linco Document cleaning pad, blades for the circle/oval mat cutter, 60 yds, Scotch acid-free ATG tape (used in double mats) the book The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lighroom and Photoshop for Printing, and vacuum cleaner bags.

We'll see how attempting to restore this poster works out. If nothing else I do have some good photos to work from and perhaps with several day's work in Photoshop I can do it digitally and reprint it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train_poster-1.jpg (141.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg train_poster-2.jpg (97.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg train_poster-3.jpg (144.4 KB, 10 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #302
Recycles dryer sheets

Military dog tags with emergency contact numbers for wearing while cycling

Ok so I'm a dog :P
Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #303
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

replacement batteries for our uniden cordless phone handsets. Bought 1 at radio shack for 18.49. bought 2 from amazon for about 6 bucks a piece.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I am a substitute teacher for Middle Grades Math. I wish the sixth (and 7th and 8th) graders I interact with were semi-competent in ANY operation involving fractions!
I am becoming quite concerned over what is being taught lately. I was in a local bakery and ordered a half dozen doughnuts. The young person behind the counter had to ask how many that was. I find that very sad.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #305
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A new red SanDisk mp3 player, to replace the one I washed and ruined 4-5 years ago. I decided it was time to stop punishing myself for that and to just fork over the money for a new one that is just like my old one, more or less. I had been using my iPhone meanwhile, but prefer a dedicated mp3 player and tomorrow I will have one (again).

Amazingly, it was $34.99 yesterday when I ordered it, almost $10 cheaper than it is today.

The nightlight I ordered a few days ago has been fabulous - - better than I had even imagined. It's just bright enough without being too bright. I am sleeping much better now because I can sleep in total darkness.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #306
Moderator Emeritus

An extra-strength lint roller. And that one came right out of the cats' allowance.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #307
Full time employment: Posting here.

--coconut oil
--rechargeable AA batteries (for wireless trackpad and keyboard, camera, LED flashlight)
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Major retailers seem to have stopped selling replacement cutter and foil parts for electric razors so I had to buy them on line at Amazon.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I am becoming quite concerned over what is being taught lately. I was in a local bakery and ordered a half dozen doughnuts. The young person behind the counter had to ask how many that was. I find that very sad.
Perfect opportunity for you to create a baker's half dozen.

"Half dozen? Sure, it's about 9 or 10, give or take."
Old 07-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #310

A 24" monitor for my DS as a birthday gift.

Amazon offered a $60 gift card during check-out if I applied for their credit card. I saved $60 on the purchase and have another credit card that I really don't want or need. But it's hard to pass on easy money.
tulak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #311

Today was an expensive day. I paid my kids for their labor on the driveway.

Older son was motivated and put in a lot of hard-working hours - his goal was a "super gaming computer he'd build himself.". He found a guy who does reference designs in different price lists then ran the designs past me. I helped him update/refine some of the items - and $850 later on Amazon, he'll get the various pieces of his new super-gaming computer on Monday.

Younger son pretty much stopped putting in hours when he'd earned enough for his goal - an Xbox 360. (He had no interest in working enough to get an Xbox One.) Ordered him a bundled unit with a couple games - plus 2 more games, an extra console, and a charger/batteries for the 2 consoles. Came out to about $360.

It was an expensive day.

As Freebird mentioned above - Amazon has a charity program where if you go through smile.amazon.com, and have a selected 501(c)(3) charity designated, some small portion of the sale goes to the charity. I was treasurer of a 501(c)(3) when this first came online about 2 months ago - when I handed over the books to the new treasurer a few weeks ago we had not received any of the money yet. I have no idea what percentage goes to the charity - but the prices are the same on Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and smile.amazon.com.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #312
Full time employment: Posting here.

A battery for my cell phone (Droid Pro). It is advertised as "new" but have doubts since it was $3.85 with free shipping (not Prime though). For such a low price it was worth taking a chance on getting a good battery.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #313
Gone but not forgotten

Since so many people raved about it I tried a free month of Amazon Prime . It was convenient always getting free shipping so I actually impulse shopped more than usual not a good thing . I also streamed videos . Most of the titles available were older so-so movies . I then tried the kindle library option . Very poor selection and only a few books that interested me . I am glad I tried it but I will not be subscribing . Most of the items I buy from Amazon are either kindle books which load free or presents for my grandchildren and they always total more than $35.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #314

New bluetooth Polar HRM strap & sensor - It replaced one that had seen 26 months of daily use.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #315

This flashlight. It is bright when used with one AAA battery!

But order these also, then it is super bright!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't ask them how many inches or feet in a yard or how many ounces in a pound. Their responses will frighten you!

Last purchase was a CANZ 808 bluetooth speaker which I sent to Seattle for upcoming Girls (Week-long) Weekend. Great sound out of a little speaker.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #317
Recycles dryer sheets

A cargo net for my car's trunk...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #318
Moderator Emeritus

A glass pitcher for making ice tea. I broke the old one.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #319
Give me a forum ...

One of these beauties:

Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp

I've been doing a decent amount of crawling through muck underneath my house and honing my plumbing skills lately. It's kind of like work (the crawling through muck and getting my hands dirty part). I also know way more about sump pumps than I could have imagined. I went with the plastic+glass+steel impeller instead of the cast iron impeller. The old one worked for 14 years, so I'm replacing it with the same model. At $120, it wasn't much cheaper than the el cheapos at home depot or Harbor Freight. Hope to get another 14 years out of it (and may call the plumber next time it fails!).
Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A new red SanDisk mp3 player, to replace the one I washed and ruined 4-5 years ago. I decided it was time to stop punishing myself for that and to just fork over the money for a new one that is just like my old one, more or less. I had been using my iPhone meanwhile, but prefer a dedicated mp3 player and tomorrow I will have one (again).

Amazingly, it was $34.99 yesterday when I ordered it, almost $10 cheaper than it is today.

That's a great little player. I've had one for several years (black and 2GB internal at the time), and use it quite a bit. It has a micro-SD slot, so I bought some cheap 4 and 8 GB cards, and I can have different mixes of music on each card. It even handles the open source formats like .ogg and .flac (lossless).

I just wish they made one with a larger display and a few more buttons so you don't need to go through so many menus. But it seems the next steps up do much more (that I don't need), and get much more $ fast.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote