Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #481
Recycles dryer sheets

By the way, I just got a deal from AMEX for $15 back on a minimum $15 dollar purchase from Amazon. AMEX card holders should check their cards' available deals.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Just ordered a speed light flash for my camera
You're gonna love that. I ended up buying three of them, thinking about a fourth. Put them on bookshelves and such, bounce the light off the walls/ceiling, and the room is evenly lit. No dark spots, no highlights.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You're gonna love that. I ended up buying three of them, thinking about a fourth. Put them on bookshelves and such, bounce the light off the walls/ceiling, and the room is evenly lit. No dark spots, no highlights.
Thanks for the review! A lot of the reviews on Amazon said the same thing - they went back for more. I gotta shoot a group family shot on the 20th. I'll probably get this one and order more and get those in time
Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #484
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
By the way, I just got a deal from AMEX for $15 back on a minimum $15 dollar purchase from Amazon. AMEX card holders should check their cards' available deals.
GBoy, I'm a new AMEX card holder through Costco. Does it depend on who you got your card from which deals you get? When I look at my "deals" there are 18 and most are for companies I don't use or never heard of.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the review! A lot of the reviews on Amazon said the same thing - they went back for more. I gotta shoot a group family shot on the 20th. I'll probably get this one and order more and get those in time
I shot these with two speedlights bouncing the light off the walls/ceiling. The room was actually pretty dim but it doesn't look like it was lit with flash. That's what I like about them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tater_and_Rosa-1.jpg (138.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Tater_and_Rosa-2.jpg (139.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Tater_and_Rosa-4.jpg (169.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Tater_and_Rosa-5.jpg (229.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #486

Great shot, Walt.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #487

Wow - that's really nice and bright! I tried to take a 4 generation shot - BIL, MIL, niece and her 2 kids in our living room on Sunday. Even with my 2 construction reflectors, the room was dim and the best I could do was 1/15 sec, F4.5 at ISO 400. 1/15 sec is not good for portraits, but I wanted to keep ISO down. I'll be able to speed up the shutter when I get the speed light(s)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #488

Love the kitty shots, Walt!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #489
Full time employment: Posting here.

Christmas is coming, Christmas is coming! So I have been getting a few gifts. 10mm Fisheye lens for my son. Some Blurays for various people. A couple of cell phone cases for family phones that are old so stores don't stock cases anymore. Some Boston Bruins gear for my elder DD who is clearly not part of the family! Some decals for some of the family's MacBooks. This online shopping is great!!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #490
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow - that Black Friday online shopping really caused a delivery snarl! I had UPS delivery exceptions from both Amazon and the Apple store. The reason - "trailer didn't get unloaded"!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #491
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
GBoy, I'm a new AMEX card holder through Costco. Does it depend on who you got your card from which deals you get? When I look at my "deals" there are 18 and most are for companies I don't use or never heard of.
I have a blue cash preferred card.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #492

Quote:
Even though we have a whole-house humidifier it doesn't do that great of a job so after reading your post and several other reviews I ordered one too. It should arrive Tuesday.
After seeing this post and researching I bought this too. I did not buy from Amazon. I bought from AllergyBuyers Club because they did not charge tax or shipping. Amazon did and I don't have their credit card or prime account. I could have gotten $70 off if I applied for their credit card but I was not ready to do that.

I'll have to wait until Dec 15th as AllergyBuyers Club had just shipped out the last of their inventory last Monday. I hope this works better than the ones I have had in the past that don't last very long. I like the way this humidifies a room with steam. Thanks you guys for posting about this humidifier!

Warm Mist Humidifiers, Great Selection | AllergyBuyersClub
Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #493
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even though we have a whole-house humidifier it doesn't do that great of a job so after reading your post and several other reviews I ordered one too. It should arrive Tuesday.
Curious as to why your whole-house didn't do the job for you. I've found them to be fantastic.

I recently had to replace the original (27 yo?) humidistat (micro-switch got intermittent), and I see the newer ones have a control that allows it to turn the blower fan on to increase humidity if the furnace run time isn't sufficient to do the job (might be the case in a milder climate?). They recc running a hot water line to the humidifier in this case.

I've just found the whole-house humidifiers to be superior to the stand-alone units in every way.

-ERD50
Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #494
Give me a forum ...

Amazon - cheap earmuffs cause winter is here and I still like to wear my Stetson.

And Savoie's Dark Roux - cause they do it way better than me who 'ain't' a patient cook.

heh heh heh -
Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #495
Moderator Emeritus

Christmas gift for the cats, a scratcher and lounger:

Old 12-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #496

Last order was a "Fire stick". I received it yesterday.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #497
Recycles dryer sheets

Christmas gift to myself, first time in many years that I purchase something just for fun!!

I am toying with the idea of buying a Drone next yaer. FLIR ONE Thermal Imager for iPhone 5/5s
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #498

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Curious as to why your whole-house didn't do the job for you. I've found them to be fantastic.
In the past they have been for me too, but in this house the air-headed furnace installer placed the furnace and the A/C refrigerant lines in such a way that there was no flat side on the hot air plenum to put the humidifier. The other sides are occupied by a wall, a staircase, and the return air duct. So the humidifier is on the cold air intake, and therefore does not humidify as well as it would if installed properly, on the hot air side.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #499
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the past they have been for me too, but in this house the air-headed furnace installer placed the furnace and the A/C refrigerant lines in such a way that there was no flat side on the hot air plenum to put the humidifier. The other sides are occupied by a wall, a staircase, and the return air duct. So the humidifier is on the cold air intake, and therefore does not humidify as well as it would if installed properly, on the hot air side.
My humidifier is mounted on the cold side duct.

A 6" round duct runs from the hot side to the humidifier. So the higher pressure on the hot side pushes air through the water soaked elements and into the vacuum of the cold side.

6" actually seems over-kill, and a flat duct could work in a tight place. Or maybe yours just has a fan, rather than depending on the blower pressure differential?

Another thing that increases performance is to feed it hot water (assuming the unit is rated for it).

-ERD50
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My humidifier is mounted on the cold side duct.

<snip>

Another thing that increases performance is to feed it hot water (assuming the unit is rated for it).

-ERD50
I'm not sure there is even room for a duct. But it does at least get fed hot water. I doubt that does much since it cools so quickly.