Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #521
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Ordered a Hario slim burr grinder which arrived today. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning
Oh, sure, you'll be fine with that. For a few weeks. And then it's big brother for a few more weeks.

But then you'll be craving this bad boy...

I know. I've been there...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #522
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New light box.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #523

Well I certainly hope the hario is so good I want to upgrade. Currently using a blade grinder with my french press which I understand is a big faux pas.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 AM   #524
Recycles dryer sheets

Electric shaver. Normally do a yrly blade replacement but price of a new, on sale electric razor was almost the same as replacement blade for three year old razor. No brainer.

New cold weather cycling pants and jacket. Have more time to bike and don't want to wait till mid Spring.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #525

I did not get this on Amazon, but such a great deal I had to tell someone. Bed Bath and Beyond. It was the display model and they said they were going to carry it in catalog but not in the store. I ask if they would sell the display and how much. No book, no box, but a $149 oven for $75! It pays to ask.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #526

Sipping my coffee now made with my burr grinder. I think it turned out a little smoother and less bitter but I'm not sure I could tell in a blind test.

I will have to play the coarseness setting a bit -- it seems that there is still some variation in the size of the coffee grounds (but way better than a blade chopper).
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #527
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I certainly hope the hario is so good I want to upgrade. Currently using a blade grinder with my french press which I understand is a big faux pas.
Oh! The little Hario is perfect for use with a 1 liter French press. Set it for a moderately coarse grind, fill it, grind for maybe 45 sec, and you're good to go. Back on topic, I got all three Hario grinders through Amazon. The biggest holds two days of decaf espresso grind. The mid-size one usually has a couple days of 'leaded' espresso grind, and the little one... erm... does a moderately coarse grind for the Sunday morning French press.

The little grinder is neat. It's easily hand-held, and unlike the blade grinders, won't make all that 'flour' or coffee dust that makes French press or metal filtered coffee (like espresso) cloudy and bitter. You can walk about while grinding. It doesn't need to sit on a table.

Latest thing ordered: Magnetic jewelry clasps for DW, who reached her 'lobster-claw' clasp limit this morning.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #528
Recycles dryer sheets

What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I just ordered brake pads for my Dodge Ram 1500 from Amazon. I had the truck in the dealer to get a recall item fixed. Service department said I needed new brakes and quoted me $399 for front brakes and to turn the rotars. Yikes! I will do it myself for a lot less.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #529
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I just ordered brake pads for my Dodge Ram 1500 from Amazon. I had the truck in the dealer to get a recall item fixed. Service department said I needed new brakes and quoted me $399 for front brakes and to turn the rotors. Yikes! I will do it myself for a lot less.
Interesting, too, how these repairs tend to be in even $100 increments. You may not even need to turn the rotors if you aren't experiencing brake pulsation. Just deglaze them.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #530
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Interesting, too, how these repairs tend to be in even $100 increments. You may not even need to turn the rotors if you aren't experiencing brake pulsation. Just deglaze them.
I'm surprised the dealership quoted on turning rotors. Most dealerships don't have a lathe to chuck up a rotor and face it off, let alone even know how to do jobs like that.

I guess they would send the rotors out to a shop or just call and tell you that new rotors are needed for an additional $200.

I changed the front brakes on my 2002 Dodge Ram last summer in one hour and that included new pads and rotors. The total cost was about $100 in parts.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #531

I just ordered Stella Dora annisette cookies. They're REALLY hard to get around here but are a key ingredient for my husbands favorite cake (Italian cream cake). Since it's his birthday next week I ordered the cookies from amazon. Last year I spent the time to go down to our Little Italy neighborhood and checked the two specialty grocers down there, Filippis and Mona Lisas, (where I've had success in the past) and found nada... Stella Dora randomly starts/stops shipping their products to the west coast. I ended up ordering from amazon. This year I saved myself the trouble and just ordered them off amazon from the start.

Seems weird to order a grocery item from them...
Old 01-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #532
Give me a forum ...

Got a new toy to match my toy battery charger :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tester.jpg (212.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

I just spent the $100 free gift card I got by signing up for a DiscoverIt Chrome card at Amazon over the Christmas holiday.
I bought suet blocks for the birdies, truffles and Bella Coola loose leaf herbal tea for me, and some office supplies and replacement shaver heads for Mr B.
Free is good !
Old 01-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #534
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Got myself an 8-bay battery charger. I didn't really need it as I have two other chargers (4 bays at a time), but it will be convenient (and fun) to have fresh batteries on standby.

Amazon.com: Tenergy TN162 8-Bay Smart AA/AAA NiMH/NiCd Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

So the charger arrived, but when I opened up, realized there is this tiny tiny piece of paper stuck in between the LCD screen and LCD cover.

The charger was brand new too. Where is quality control?

I ordered a replacement and this charger is going back for a refund.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

ZTS Mini 9R Battery Tester - ZTS MINI-MBT9R - Auto Battery Testers - Amazon.com

Oops. I did it again and just ordered another battery tester

I really don't need it as I've been moving to all low discharge rechargeable batteries and once a battery from a set (such as in a CD player) goes kaput, I just recharge the entire set which is like replacing with all new (if I was using alkalines) batteries.

But the tester could be fun (until I get bored) . Plus, it may come in handy to show me how much juice is in my 9v garage door opener remote battery and/or smoke detector battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zts mini tester.jpg (25.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #536
Moderator Emeritus

In the middle of the night last night, I discovered a momentary bargain. The Fujitsu mobile document scanner that I wanted was very briefly listed for $19 less than the lowest it has been listed for over the past year (I've been watching it!). So, it is on its way to me now.

I am going to use it to scan in my file cabinet contents, which will make hurricane evacuations or moving (once I find my dream house) much easier.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In the middle of the night last night, I discovered a momentary bargain. The Fujitsu mobile document scanner that I wanted was very briefly listed for $19 less than the lowest it has been listed for over the past year (I've been watching it!). So, it is on its way to me now.

I am going to use it to scan in my file cabinet contents, which will make hurricane evacuations or moving (once I find my dream house) much easier.
That scanner looks nice! I've been eyeing a portable scanner (looking at a Doxie) myself but got side tracked and bought a blood pressure monitor instead
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #538
Moderator Emeritus

ordered two light sensors @ $21 each.

41A6hTL8MJL.jpg
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The Fujitsu mobile document scanner that I wanted was very briefly listed for $19 less than the lowest it has been listed for over the past year (I've been watching it!). So, it is on its way to me now.
I predict that you'll love the fuji scanner. We have a slightly different model and it's been fantastic for going paperless.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #540
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I predict that you'll love the fuji scanner. We have a slightly different model and it's been fantastic for going paperless.
Oh good! Glad to hear this. I was slightly dreading the work involved in all the scanning and shredding ahead (but it's got to be done). Once I get the older stuff scanned in, hopefully scanning new items every week or two won't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
That scanner looks nice! I've been eyeing a portable scanner (looking at a Doxie) myself but got side tracked and bought a blood pressure monitor instead
Believe me, I can relate to that. Besides, the BP monitor is more important.

I bookmarked this scanner (the Fujitsu 1300i) quite some time ago and have been checking it nightly. I wasn't planning on buying it this month, but just had to jump on it last night around 1:30 AM when the price dropped radically like that for just a few hours. It hadn't dropped at all at 10:30 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
ordered two light sensors @ $21 each.
Those look great! I love automated lights and they can save energy, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote