Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #541

I ordered a new bookbag for my kid (his is literally ripping at the seams from the weight of his books.) Also an extension cord that is super flush/sideways to the wall socket and rated for under carpet. And finally, methylfolate vitamins (an add on item so I took advantage of the other stuff to order this.) Amazon is the cheapest/easiest place to get the methyl b9.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, Amazon Prime is $72 today only, January 24.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just ordered Turbo tax premier for $53.99, including state. Got the discs. For some reason it makes me more comfortable than just downloading. But I know the first thing I will need to do is download the updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #544

One of these. DW likes hard boiled eggs but no matter what she does (and she's read up on about every method out there) the egg still sticks to the shell. Sometimes but not others with no discernible pattern.

So I ordered one of these:

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow but may be delayed because of weather. I'll let you know how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooker.jpg (113.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of these. DW likes hard boiled eggs but no matter what she does (and she's read up on about every method out there) the egg still sticks to the shell. Sometimes but not others with no discernible pattern.

The trick is to use older eggs. Fresh eggs, when boiled, are harder to peel.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
The trick is to use older eggs. Fresh eggs, when boiled, are harder to peel.
So we've heard, but still get random results. So we'll see if this gizmo works - the reviews were generally pretty good.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #547
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So we've heard, but still get random results. So we'll see if this gizmo works - the reviews were generally pretty good.
I'm interested in the volume of the buzzer on yours. Mine looks very similar but I can hardly hear when the eggs are done.
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So I ordered one of these:

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow but may be delayed because of weather. I'll let you know how it works.
Oh boy - now you have me looking at them. With all the discussion of boiled eggs lately. I'm such a disaster at peeling boiled eggs, that I think the steamers are probably worth it for us.

I have the same prob no matter how old the eggs.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #549

I just ordered two pairs of boys uniform dickie brand pants. The cheap target pants are getting shredded by younger son. He's got 2 more years at this public magnet school that requires a uniform. These pants are adjustable at the waist, and I'm going to hem them so I can let them out as he hits his growth spurts. Best of all they're indestructible. (He's already got a pair.) He'll be excited - they're not hand me downs from his older brother. I got a good deal - 2 pairs for $25... not bad for 2 pairs of school pants that will last several years.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I'm interested in the volume of the buzzer on yours. Mine looks very similar but I can hardly hear when the eggs are done.
Yay, it works! And the buzzer is reasonably loud but not too loud (highly subjective of course) and it stays buzzing until you unplug it. We did six new eggs bought yesterday and six that are about 3 weeks old.

After cooling in ice water the eggs peeled easily with no discernible difference.

Another first world problem solved.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #551
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yay, it works! And the buzzer is reasonably loud but not too loud (highly subjective of course) and it stays buzzing until you unplug it. We did six new eggs bought yesterday and six that are about 3 weeks old.

After cooling in ice water the eggs peeled easily with no discernible difference.

Another first world problem solved.
I just ordered this one, which came today. Have not unpacked or tried it yet.
According to video's, it tells you to rinse them in cold water right after cooking. I hope it doesn't have to be ice water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I just ordered this one, which came today. Have not unpacked or tried it yet.
According to video's, it tells you to rinse them in cold water right after cooking. I hope it doesn't have to be ice water.
The directions for mine just said cold water but DW wanted to speed up the process. Oh, and crack them over a sink or at least a towel. The directions for all of them have you poke a hole in the blunt end where the air bubble is to let vapor escape. During cool-down that fills with water which of course comes down on your socks if you're standing up and not wearing shoes.

Don't ask how I know....
Old 01-31-2015, 06:09 AM   #553
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Honda Vortex Blue Pearl Touch-Up Paint (Color Code B553P): Automotive

Touch up paint. Got a small scratch on the side mirror from parking too close to a wall.

The wall won
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #554
Give me a forum ...

For you Amazon Prime folks, do you usually go the 2-day delivery or use the no-rush to get the LBYM $1 off on music and movies.

I like the option of choosing and I just ordered a nice bicycle repair stand (figured I'll do the lube myself this year and save the tune-up cost) along with some other bicycle stuff.

Oh, I chose no-rush for my order
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repair stand.jpg (52.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For you Amazon Prime folks, do you usually go the 2-day delivery or use the no-rush to get the LBYM $1 off on music and movies.

I like the option of choosing and I just ordered a nice bicycle repair stand (figured I'll do the lube myself this year and save the tune-up cost) along with some other bicycle stuff.

Oh, I chose no-rush for my order
It depends on the order. If I don't need it quickly than I'll just take the credit. I'm not even sure how many credits I even have..between the included books, streaming videos and music, I haven't bought anything that would require the credits in quite a while.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
It depends on the order. If I don't need it quickly than I'll just take the credit. I'm not even sure how many credits I even have..between the included books, streaming videos and music, I haven't bought anything that would require the credits in quite a while.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
The credits do expire though. Probably within 90 days or so as I've ordered stuff not long ago choosing no rush shipping and received emails reminding me use up the credits by March. A dollar here, a dollar there do add up when renting out movies that aren't already included with Amazon Prime
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the no rush credits must last only about 90 days. The bicycle repair stand I ordered yesterday with no rush and just got an email saying I have $1 off credit on a movie rental, for example, and the credit expires on April 30.

The funny thing is even under no rush, the delivery for that order is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Sometime no-rush takes longer, other times, I don't notice a difference than regular 2-day. No complaints here
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #558

I just ordered 2 containers of Charlie's laundry soap. One for my son and one for me.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #559

Hmmm. I don't recall being offered the "no rush" option very often.
But I will say the 2 day can be considered "loose". I ordered something on a Thursday evening. The 2 day shipping promised it would be delivered by the following Wednesday (and it was). I can't figure out how 4 business days (plus 2 weekend days) = 2 days total.
Ironically, I ordered something later that evening and it was delivered Saturday (so really 2 days).

It doesn't stop me from ordering through Amazon. I'll be putting in an order this afternoon once I find out what color baseball pants/socks/belts younger son's team will use. If they're not grey pants, I definitely need to order.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #560
Give me a forum ...

When checking out, for me, there's a choice of shipping method. Since I'm a Prime member, 2-day shipping is the default. But I just click on a no-rush selection if I want the $1 credits. The $1 credit is per item and not order. So, if I order 5 prime eligible stuff, that's $5 credit if I want them all no-rush.