Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
When checking out, for me, there's a choice of shipping method. Since I'm a Prime member, 2-day shipping is the default. But I just click on a no-rush selection if I want the $1 credits. The $1 credit is per item and not order. So, if I order 5 prime eligible stuff, that's $5 credit if I want them all no-rush.
Hmmm - I ordered 2 things and only got $1 credit!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #562
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of these. DW likes hard boiled eggs but no matter what she does (and she's read up on about every method out there) the egg still sticks to the shell. Sometimes but not others with no discernible pattern.

So I ordered one of these:

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow but may be delayed because of weather. I'll let you know how it works.
Well we did order an egg cooker. A different one.

The Dash Go.

It has a shutoff switch. We tested it - hard boiled and even soft-boiled which was the real test. It did very well on the soft-boiled, which is difficult to do. We'll just add a wee bit more water.

Very pleased as this really simplifies things.
But the main thing is - it's so cute!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.0 KB, 12 views)

Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #563
Administrator

I was going to order this last night, but with Mardi Gras and the associated craziness on Tuesday I think I'll wait and order it on Monday. With my Prime membership, I'll probably get it on Wednesday or Thursday and that would be better.

Anyway, although I already do primary backups of my laptop computer on my portable external hard drive, I'm going to use this thumb drive for secondary backups. I used to use my desktop computer for my secondary backups, but recently gave it to Frank since I wasn't using it for anything else.

I'm getting the 64GB one so that I can keep five 12GB backups on it. I was going to get the smaller one but with the "Wheee!!!" factor this weekend, I decided why not just GO for it.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #564
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night I ordered a Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro. I think that it might make it easier keeping track of my long walks, hikes, and bike rides.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #565
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmm - I ordered 2 things and only got $1 credit!
Bummer. I must have must looked at the shipping summary where the shipping showed no-rush shipping and just assumed since that is no-rush, there'd be a credit for each item instead of each shipment. Sorry about that.

I guess the way around that is to make separate orders under prime, but that could be a lot of boxes
Old 02-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Last night I ordered a Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro. I think that it might make it easier keeping track of my long walks, hikes, and bike rides.
I use a free app on my smart phone called Runkeeper. I'm not a bike rider but that's one of the activities it tracks. Besides viewing on your phone, you create an account and view on your laptop. Walking/hiking it gives a google map of where you've been, time, distance, elevation, calories. You can link with your friends and link to places like Facebook.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #567
Recycles dryer sheets

Powdered beet juice. I've read beet juice can assist in avoiding blood pressure increase.

Taste is not too bad....
Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I use a free app on my smart phone called Runkeeper.
I have Runkeeper on my iPad, but it's too bulky to drag along with me. And I have an iPhone, but it's an old 3GS and isn't much good for anything anymore except for my calendar and notes, and an occasional google search. I'm too darn cheap frugal to spring for a new iPhone.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #569
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I have. I've used it for a year and I really enjoy it. It doesn't tell you much while you're on the walk or run or bike ride. But all the info and a nice map is available when you sync it to your iPad by bluetooth and it's super easy. The battery lasts pretty long too unless you use it all day. I seem to only need to charge it every couple of weeks, but I don't use it daily either.

I wish it were just a wee bit lighter, but overall I'm really happy with it. If I'm wearing a shirt with a pocket I don't notice the weight. But I don't like it to dangle free from my neck.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I have an iPhone, but it's an old 3GS and isn't much good for anything anymore except for my calendar and notes, and an occasional google search.
Same with my phone. It's a only good for making phone calls, what a waste!😏
Old 02-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #571

Quote:
I have Runkeeper on my iPad, but it's too bulky to drag along with me. And I have an iPhone, but it's an old 3GS and isn't much good for anything anymore except for my calendar and notes, and an occasional google search. I'm too darn cheap frugal to spring for a new iPhone.
I've got a Samsung Galaxy 3s mini, free with my phone plan. I like the Runkeeper because you can set it to "announce" every 5, 10, 15 minutes your distance, time and pace. It's great incentive when you are trying to improve your times.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #572
Full time employment: Posting here.

12 12-count boxes of Expo dry erase markers. 48 black, 48 red, 24 green, and 24 blue. Go wild!!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #573

A while back one of my cousin's sons asked me what bands I saw in the 60s and 70s so I made a list. Then I saw this black hoodie on Amazon with this on it: "I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands". So I ordered it.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #574
Give me a forum ...

Related to all this, I just learned something today, and will share it here.

I'm slightly annoyed by Amazon constantly sending small thing in big boxes. On one hand, it just seems wasteful and not environmentally friendly, but also, some things get delivered by the post office, and when the tiny thing I ordered comes in a big box that doesn't fit in the mailbox, the delivery person needs to drive up our driveway, get out and set the stuff on our porch, where it is exposed to the elements, and there's a chance I won't even see it.

Turns out they have a 'packaging feedback' page:

www.amazon.com/packaging

It shows each recent order, and is easy to leave feedback. My first feedback was - why isn't this link right on the 'recent orders' page? Why did I have to learn about it elsewhere?

Ahhh, I see that when you go to 'order details' there is a "Leave package/delivery feedback". But I guess my brain saw that as "package delivery" feedback. But when you use that link I gave, it says "Rate Our Packaging", which is what I want to do.

So anyhow, I plan to leave feedback on every one of these that is way over-packed. Maybe if more people do this....?

-ERD50
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Related to all this, I just learned something today, and will share it here.

I'm slightly annoyed by Amazon constantly sending small thing in big boxes. On one hand, it just seems wasteful and not environmentally friendly, but also, some things get delivered by the post office, and when the tiny thing I ordered comes in a big box that doesn't fit in the mailbox, the delivery person needs to drive up our driveway, get out and set the stuff on our porch, where it is exposed to the elements, and there's a chance I won't even see it.

Turns out they have a 'packaging feedback' page:

www.amazon.com/packaging

It shows each recent order, and is easy to leave feedback. My first feedback was - why isn't this link right on the 'recent orders' page? Why did I have to learn about it elsewhere?

Ahhh, I see that when you go to 'order details' there is a "Leave package/delivery feedback". But I guess my brain saw that as "package delivery" feedback. But when you use that link I gave, it says "Rate Our Packaging", which is what I want to do.

So anyhow, I plan to leave feedback on every one of these that is way over-packed. Maybe if more people do this....?

-ERD50
Thanks for the info; that problem has bothered me for a long time. I once ordered a pair of 32GB micro SD cards and they came in a box that could have held a 3TB hard drive. An envelope would have been better.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #576
Give me a forum ...

10 grain bread mix and gluten free pasta, just to try it out.

I'm going to make some Mediterranean flatbread using homemade Greek style yogurt. Yogurt is made, just waiting for the bread mix delivery.

Recipes here...
Piadina Romagnola (Italian Flat Bread) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
and
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Garlic-...r_results_p1i3
Old 02-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
10 grain bread mix and gluten free pasta, just to try it out.
Please do post how that turns out. I have had to be on a gluten-free diet for going on 25 years now and I'm always interested in gluten-free options.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #578
Recycles dryer sheets

Spectrum 49170 Under Cabinet Wine Rack and Stemware Holder, 6-Bottle/6-Stems, Chrome

Was looking for ideas for making one from wood to match the cabinets (I built those myself a few years ago) and saw this one. Decided I liked it, DW concurred. And now, I am enjoying the partial bottle of Merlot that just didn't fit in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wine Rack.jpg (436.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #579
Give me a forum ...

I just got one of these Amazon.com: [New] TROND G5 SMART Desktop USB Wall Charger / Portable Travel Charging Station (40W / 8.0A, 5 Port, 5ft Power Cord), for Apple iPad Air / Air 2, iPad Mini Retina 2, 3; iPhone 6 Plus 5s 5c 5 4S; Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 2 3 4; Googl

It's so compact! I really needed a little USB multi port charging station on my nightstand, and this is very nice!

5 ft power cord, and no brick! It also is a surge protector.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #580
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I ordered a new bookbag for my kid (his is literally ripping at the seams from the weight of his books.) Also an extension cord that is super flush/sideways to the wall socket and rated for under carpet. And finally, methylfolate vitamins (an add on item so I took advantage of the other stuff to order this.) Amazon is the cheapest/easiest place to get the methyl b9.
So I gotta ask ... are the methylfolate vitamins helpful? I was researching it to both help my DW (has some anxiety/depression issues) and to help mitigate my peripheral neuropathy issues (feet).

I just ordered several books about Greenhouses and gardening ... gotta have "more" hobbies once I RE.