Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #621
Recycles dryer sheets

Just ordered a GSM SIM for H20 wireless for a penny. They are cheaper there than on ebay. I need this to have some kind of cell service for my mother who is going into a nursing home. Will ad this to a wireless terminal base and plug her old legacy phone into it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did I get this idea from this thread? Not sure but it looks like a winner. It's a little rock for hiding your house key and cheap at less then $5:

Amazon.com: Hide-a-Key Fake Rock - Looks & Feels Like Real Rock: Office Products

Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Did I get this idea from this thread? Not sure but it looks like a winner. It's a little rock for hiding your house key and cheap at less then $5:

Amazon.com: Hide-a-Key Fake Rock - Looks & Feels Like Real Rock: Office Products
That's been around for 30+ years. All the burglars know about it. Besides, LBYM and put the key in a zip-lock and hide that under a real rock.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's been around for 30+ years. All the burglars know about it. Besides, LBYM and put the key in a zip-lock and hide that under a real rock.
I'm hoping that you are kidding.

I use a hidden key all the time when I go out for runs. Not just for an occasional emergency. I'm planning on putting this little fake rock next to real ones.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #625

Quote:
Well, the fake rock has been around for as long as I can remember. I'm 65. Since most burglars are younger people, maybe they don't know about the old-school stuff.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #626
Administrator

There are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

I don't keep a key hidden outside any more because of my own alternate solution, a keypad entry. I purchased it from Amazon a year ago and love it.

The battery hardly seems to run down at all, and I replace it anyway every January. Also, Frank and I have each other's keys in case we need a backup. I haven't needed his help yet, luckily.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #627

Quote:
Well, the fake rock has been around for as long as I can remember. I'm 65. Since most burglars are younger people, maybe they don't know about the old-school stuff.
OK, I will just put up a sign that only young burglars are allowed.

Thanks to W2R for an alternative. Might consider if I get antsy.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #628

I bought this, it took over a month to get here. Played with it for a day, took it outside, so I would have more room. Flew it totaly out of control, over the house, almost out of site, it dropped like a rock, and that was the last time I saw it. This thing was really tiny. Smaller than the palm of your hand.

I have one of these on order do tomorrow

Hopefully it will last more than two days. I think I will take it to the golf course this time.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #629
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:

I use a hidden key all the time when I go out for runs. Not just for an occasional emergency. I'm planning on putting this little fake rock next to real ones.
I agree with Walt. Oldest trick in the book. Right up there with under the door mat.

I like the one I saw recently in a Family Handyman e-letter. I'm going to do it myself. I don't know how to point the link directly to it, but if you go here and flip through to the 10th page there's an easy hiding place you can set up with your other utility lines. I think it would be pretty secure, especially since that stuff is usually in a side or back yard. As far for going out for runs, why not just in a pocket or wristband or something. I would think going to the same spot every day to get a key would be a big giveaway.

I like the home made book box hiding place on the first panel too. I have a weakness for secret compartments. In a previous house I did one like the air return hiding place, except with a pull down shelf on a spring. It was great!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #630

The fake utility line (item 12 on the link) looks like a good idea that I could pretty easily put in. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #631
Give me a forum ...

For my travels.

There may be better wallets out there, but I like the idea of having the driver's liscense and passport right there without any fumbling around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallet.jpg (19.8 KB, 19 views)
Nimbus Toothbrushes
Old 04-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #632
Recycles dryer sheets

Nimbus Toothbrushes

These toothbrushes are awesome. Old school (manual brushing), but they are super soft and really clean well. The ratings on Amazon reflect their quality. Five for $16.49 including shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nimbus.jpg (12.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 04-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #633
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
These toothbrushes are awesome. Old school (manual brushing), but they are super soft and really clean well. The ratings on Amazon reflect their quality. Five for $16.49 including shipping.
But do they fly?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #634

Happened to see this thread right after ordering a pair of topsiders and a case for my Chromebook.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #635

This is an indoor smoker.

This had 97 - 5 star reviews, 30 - 4 star reviews, and only 6 - 1 and 2 star reviews, so I took a shot. It is amazing! Got it today, and cooked baby back ribs. Used a rub on it with no sauce. They were smokey, tender, and down right good. The house had a smoke odor, but it was a good odor, like good food cooking.

I use pellets to smoke outside, and block in my bigger smoker. I took some of my pellet mixture and ground them up in a kitchen grinder. They worked great. The 'wood chips' you use are more like saw dust or chain saw clippings.

If this thing had not worked out I think DW would have closed my Amazon account. It has been rather busy lately.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #636
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For my travels.

There may be better wallets out there, but I like the idea of having the driver's liscense and passport right there without any fumbling around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So does the pickpocket.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #637
Give me a forum ...

Ordered a yellow ThermoPop instant read thermometer for grilling, a case of Gosling's Ginger Beer and a downhill ski edge sharpener so I can touch up the edges of our skis before putting them away for the season.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For my travels.

Royce Leather European Passport Wallet at Amazon Men’s Clothing store:
If you got separated from your Passport in a foreign country, lack of picture ID would be a problem!....
Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #639
Give me a forum ...

I got several Kindle books to educate myself about physical and psychological issues I've been having directly associated with menopause. I scored 7 out of 10 on the menopause symptom checklist.

I am already on a low dose of Rx medication to help moderate hormonally induced mood swings. It is working well, but my energy level and mental acuity is down due to interrupted sleep from intense night sweats. Argh.

One that caught my eye is "Why Isn't My Brain Working ?" by Datis Kharrazian. I am already up to Chapter 12. Fascinating reading about how the human body systems operate and system interdependencies.

He is a huge proponent of simple and easy to do diet changes to help the body do what it is supposed to do. He also gets a bit carried away with the herbal supplement thing, which I will bypass.

A lot of the discussion about cognitive function degradation does not apply to me at this stage of my life. However, I am gaining knowledge about decline that can be prevented to a certain extent by proactive measures.

I feel educated and gratified that "No, I am not losing my mind" than before I read this book.

Knowledge is indeed powerful.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #640
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I feel educated and gratified that "No, I am not losing my mind" than before I read this book.

Knowledge is indeed powerful.
After enduring the winter you just went through, I think that ANYBODY would feel like they were losing their mind! I know you are used to the winters up there, but still, give yourself a pat on the back for sailing through it so smoothly once again.