Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #781
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought the Amazon Kindle Voyage as a birthday present for myself and a book about Washington's spies in the reveloutionary war. Prior to this I used a first generation Nook reader. Readers have come a long way and I am loving the Kindle.
Bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:17 AM   #782
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ordered a pair of two-way radios for my FIL to replace one that DW left in a rental car. Unfortunately, my FIL had a stroke and won't be driving anymore. We ended up returning the units which cost us about $10 for shipping and restocking.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #783
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A nice mandolin. Not for everyday use, I'm comfortable with a chef's knife. Foods that require many fine chopped veggies or sweet potatoes fries... Very much needed, it does require a healthy respect of the sharp blades. I knew that and proceeded to reinforce that on my first use. No stitches just a very small nick, didn't know I did it till there was blood on the food. :what:
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #784
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Easysurfer, I have no idea.

Back to our most recent purchase from Amazon, I just ordered this:

It's a new 1 TB portable external data storage device. I mentioned earlier on this thread (post #563)that I have been doing dual backups, one on a 64GB thumb drive that I just got, and one on my old, much smaller E-Go portable external hard drive. The E-Go just bit the dust, and I was pleased to discover that new, bigger drives are pretty cheap these days.
And, less than 2 months later the USB end of the shoddy connecting cord that came with it, broke. A replacement is on its way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #785
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post
I bought the Amazon Kindle Voyage as a birthday present for myself and a book about Washington's spies in the reveloutionary war. Prior to this I used a first generation Nook reader. Readers have come a long way and I am loving the Kindle.
I have an original Kindle 2 that is showing its age. The ON/OFF switch function is becoming intermittent. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading but haven't spent the time to see what I want. I will probably get the un-purchased next-to-last version, knowing me.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #786
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
And, less than 2 months later the USB end of the shoddy connecting cord that came with it, broke. A replacement is on its way.

I really like the Amazon basic cables.

I've ordered new ones for my iDevices to replace the Apple versions. They are cheaper and so far much more durable.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #787
Moderator Emeritus

Artscape "new leaf" decorative window film, to provide some small level of privacy for the kitchen window of my new-to-me house without having to deal with mounting blinds or curtains at this busy time. Apparently it can be re-positioned easily, and can be removed leaving no residue.

Also some yellow duct tape:

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #788
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked up a couple of these for our 2 week Florida Vacation next month:

Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent

DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #789
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
Picked up a couple of these for our 2 week Florida Vacation next month:
Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent
Thanks for sharing that. Looks like it could be great for hot days on the Pickleball (tennis) court.

Learning pickleball
Image: http://i.imgur.com/pEjyVWi.png
eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #790
Moderator Emeritus

Bosch HCBG600T Blue Granite 6 Piece Hammer Drill Bit Carbide Tip Tapcon Set

41J6CCGYKKL.jpg

I'm building a screened-in patio and need to drill lots of holes in concrete for Tapcon fasteners. Extra drill bits area a plus.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #791
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroscott View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Looks like it could be great for hot days on the Pickleball (tennis) court.

Learning pickleball
Image: http://i.imgur.com/pEjyVWi.png

Absolutely! They are currently in stock ~ they were out of stock for about a month. I was a day late last month and I made sure to get in on them as soon as they were back in stock this time around!
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Tick Tock Tick Tock
Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #792
Give me a forum ...

Tick Tock Tick Tock

I got an alarm set for when the virtual door opens for the Amazon Prime sale. At the stroke of midnight, I'll have to go through my Amazon Wish List to see if there are any bargains to snatch up.

Of course, Walmart isn't standing idle. It might be fun seeing them duke it out and cough up some good bargains :

Quote:
Walmart on Monday announced it will offer an online sale to rival Amazon's Prime Day this Wednesday.

Further, Walmart will offer free shipping for orders of more than $35 for 30 days. It ordinarily offers free shipping on orders exceeding $50.
Walmart to Crash Amazon's Prime Day Party | E-Commerce | E-Commerce Times
Old 07-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #793
Moderator Emeritus

Now that I have Amazon Prime, I order stuff a few times a week. Most recent item was a compact camera tripod.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #794
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Bosch HCBG600T Blue Granite 6 Piece Hammer Drill Bit Carbide Tip Tapcon Set

Attachment 22016

I'm building a screened-in patio and need to drill lots of holes in concrete for Tapcon fasteners. Extra drill bits area a plus.
Great idea - the masonry bits break easily
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #795

Ordered a new more comfortable seat for my bicycle.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #796
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great idea - the masonry bits break easily
Yeah, hammer drills are tough on them!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #797
Give me a forum ...

Being in love with the small tip of the Thermapen and its measurement speed, I wanted to get another one for the 2nd home. However, the frugal self cringed at the cost.

Then, I happened to see a Thermapen knockoff, at only 1/5 the price. Claimed accuracy of +-0.9F vs. +-0.7F of the Thermapen. Speed of 4-5 seconds vs. 3 seconds. NSF approved (whatever that means).

I do not have an Amazon Prime account, but along with an accessory for my RV, get free shipping for this order.

Will post a report once this meat thermometer is in hand.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #798
Give me a forum ...

Going on an upcoming long drive. Gotta make sure those in the back got enough juice in their electronics:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portable power bank.jpg (8.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #799

A Radio Flyer All-Terrain Stroll 'N Trike Ride On for my granddaughter who is turning 1 year old next month.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #800
Moderator Emeritus

Neiko 12008A Quick Change Hex Shank Cobalt Coated Drill Bit Set, 13 Piece

Bits.jpg