Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #881

Got a surprise yesterday when the Amazon order I placed on Wednesday afternoon was delivered - and that was with free shipping!

W2R - I had my first cup of coffee from the Aeropress this morning and I like the flavor and clarity compared to the French press I had been using. So far, so good.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #882
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Got a surprise yesterday when the Amazon order I placed on Wednesday afternoon was delivered - and that was with free shipping!

W2R - I had my first cup of coffee from the Aeropress this morning and I like the flavor and clarity compared to the French press I had been using. So far, so good.
Great to hear! Thanks for the coffee report. I need to get one of those.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #883

Ordered and air filter and cabin filter for DW's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. Getting all the maintenance items pulled together for the 40K mile oil change/filters/etc event that will take place in our garage next weekend.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #884
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

popsicle molds for leftover smoothie mix
Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #885
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost everything at this point, excepting groceries and some clothes . . .

Amazing how many things we now purchase online compared to just a few years ago.

In the last week alone: four new fall clothing items from H&M (me), laptop (DH), gifts for a grandchild's upcoming birthday, and two travel books for scheduled 2016 trips.

Compared to one purchase at a brick-and-mortar during the same time period.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #886
Full time employment: Posting here.

I needed a bunch of stuff this last order, so it's a bit spastic.

Internet provider is charging to lease the modem, so I wound up doing the math and seeing that buying one would pay for itself within a year. So I got this Motorola wireless modem.

I was having a battery problem with my motorcycle, and needed to know if it was the battery, the rectifier, or some kind of wire problem, so I wound up getting this basic Innova multimeter.

I needed to clean the chain on the bike while I was at it, so I got this aluminum chain grunge brush.

I'm stoked that I also found this generic pack of ink for my printer. I was skeptical that it would smear or not work or explode or turn up dried up or something, but holy crap, $10 for a giant pack of ink and it's working great.

Alton Brown had an episode once on Good Eats where he made stove top popcorn with a stainless steel mixing bowl. I gave it a try. It's a PITA. I wound up getting this Presto hot air popper. It's another item I was skeptical about, given the price, but it's doing awesome so far.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #887

Just got home and the Ring doorbell is here. It took al of 3 minutes to get it up and communicating with my wifi and Android phone. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes to get it mounted at the front door tomorrow morning. Has an excellent 720p HD camera.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #888
Recycles dryer sheets

A selection of goodies for my photography hobby: Arca-Swiss quick release plates for my tripods/camera bodies, quick-release ends for my camera neck-straps, and neoprene lens covers in various diameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 AM   #889

A variety of TastyCakes that I saw on some food show 'Unwrapped 2.0.'

They don't have TastyCakes in our area and they were featured on the above show. So I ordered some. Let me tell you they looked better than they tasted....I still have some in the freezer I'm, trying to give away
Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 AM   #890
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I've been using an Aeropress for years and can't go back to regular drip coffee.

Hmmm I've had a few recent Amazon Prime orders that have arrived a day later than promised. Anybody else having the same experience?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #891
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Hmmm I've had a few recent Amazon Prime orders that have arrived a day later than promised. Anybody else having the same?
No, but I've had several orders arrive the day before they were promised. It's inconvenient if I am not home and have to collect them later from a shipping depot. It seems to happen with the heaviest items!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #892
Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm I've had a few recent Amazon Prime orders that have arrived a day later than promised. Anybody else having the same experience?
I was having that problem with their USPS delivery when they first started doing that with most orders here. But not lately. Maybe Amazon had a little talk with the USPS or something.

In fact, I got my recent (pre-ordered) video game early on Friday, the day it was released by Nintendo. OK, that was the day it was promised, but I was skeptical. I got it faster than others did who pre-ordered it from other websites.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #893

USPS does not deliver to my address. Getting Amazon to understand that and not deliver via USPS has been a struggle lately. I have had many items returned to Amazon marked either "refused by customer" or "moved/address unknown". (If this were done by a non-government entity, it would be considered fraud, they charge for the return postage.) I had this problem about a year ago and got it straightened out. It started again about a month ago. Amazon now says there is a flag on my account to not ship via USPS. I recently had another shipment via USPS. Went through the same hassle of getting it straightened out. I hope it works for a while. I depend on Amazon for a lot of things way out here in the boonies.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #894
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ordered a portable battery charger for my phone. It should permit 1-2 full charges of the phone when I am far away from an electric outlet. And an extension USB cord for the other times near but not near enough to an electric outlet. Another 1st World problem solved.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #895

Finished the installation of the Ring wifi enabled doorbell. The whole process was easy; the most time consuming was getting motion sensor adjustments just right so that the wind blowing on the pine tree out front did not set off the detectors. The whole system works very well.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #896

Quote:

Yes, I have found that if I order anything on a Thursday, I will not get it till Tuesday or later, well past 'two days'.

But the most frustrating is having packages held so I didn't get it too early. Before I bought Amazon Prime, I would wait for standard (free) delivery and as I would track the package I would notice that it would arrive in my city and not be delivered until it was in the promised time, sometime sitting there for 3 days!! Trust me my city is not that big.

I guess if the free delivery made it as fast or faster than Amazon Prime there would be no reason to buy it (even though I bought it for the streaming video).
Old 10-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #897
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought an OTG cable, an Ethernet to USB 3.0 cable with a USB hub, a 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive with a micro USB connector on the other side, and a mattress protector for the queen size 100% all natural latex mattress that I order from Sleep EZ. I am most excited about the new mattress. My 19 year old hard college futon mattress is painful to my nearly 40 year old body.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #898
Administrator

For my cataract surgeries, they want me to wear loose clothing that does not go on over my head. I don't have anything like that, so I ordered a very cheap oversized plain blue shirt that buttons down the front, just to wear to the surgeries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Yes, I have found that if I order anything on a Thursday, I will not get it till Tuesday or later, well past 'two days'.
I ordered mine with Prime yesterday, and it is promised on Monday. It better not be later than Tuesday or I'll send it back and buy something locally. So far it has shipped and is in Kentucky so we'll see.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #899
Recycles dryer sheets

What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

Quote:

I believe I read somewhere that the Aeropress is one of the best methods for minimizing acids and/or oils and that the conventional French press is one of the worst. Having used both, I believe there's something to that. At least my reflux thinks so...

Quote:
I've been using an Aeropress for years and can't go back to regular drip coffee.

I'm inclined to agree. Our Keurig flat-lined a few months ago and now that using our Aeropress has become pretty much second nature, I've lost interest in replacing it.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #900
Administrator

Three pairs of cheap readers for $9.99.

I determined the strength that I will need, by trying on readers at CVS. Would have bought them there too, except they were ugly and cost 7-8 times as much as these including tax and free Prime shipping.

As some of you know, I am getting cataract surgery and having the "distance only" lens implants installed. My left eye was done last Thursday, and the right eye will be done this Thursday. Right now I am only able to read using my right eye (that has not yet had the surgery).

I ordered these readers from Amazon on Saturday night, and they arrived today via USPS. They are fine for the eye that has already had cataract surgery, so I will not go through a period of not being able to read.

These readers are cheap (in all senses of the word), and the hinges on the ear pieces do seem a little stiff so they are hard to unfold. Maybe that will get easier over time. At any rate, once I have them on they are comfortable enough.