What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

Wow! That would work well for my earplugs when flying! I am always losing one or both.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

For tiny items like this I use the smallest Ziplok bag. Advantage is that you can see what's inside.

I just ordered the Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Wireless IP Security Camera. We're trying to replace our crappy security system in FL with a web cam or two, and also a wifi based thermostat. We're not really worried about the security aspect, as our house would be fairly difficult to break into and stealing all of our good stuff would barely get us above the deductible. We just want to be able to look around every now and then. I prefer this one to the Nest because I don't want to have to pay for cloud storage since I'm already going to have to pay to keep internet access active. I'm going to set up an ftp server and upload to that.

For the thermostat I'm just looking for something that I can access and control remotely. I don't really care about the learning aspect, or remote sensors, or anything like that. I just want one that will reconnect automatically if power or wifi drops and comes back up, and that I can access from my PC. Phone would be nice, but not necessary. We just want to make sure it's maintaining the temperature while we're away for 6 months. And isn't too expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now I'm looking at the Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat as an inexpensive but functional starting point.

I use that exact thermostat at our mountain house, so I can turn the heat up when we leave our main house and arrive to a nice warm vacation home. I would recommend it.

It was easy to install (I did it myself). IIRC, I had to connect an available, but previously unused, wire at the furnace end so that the thermostat had power. The included directions were clear enough for me to figure out. Then you run through a start-up process that connects the thermostat to your wireless network. A free app for my phone and iPad allows me to control the thermostat; there may be a pc interface but I never looked for it.

The thermostat automatically reconnects to the wireless network after a power outage.

This may seem weird but the thing I ordered this afternoon was a toilet install. We have some issues with the toilet on our main floor and just decided to replace it completely with a Toto (Who I believe make the best in the world). Amazon had a great price so I went to order and noted that they had a checkbox to include installation for $112. Now, I have replaced toilets before and it is not difficult. However, at this price which includes getting rid of the old toilet it seemed reasonable, so I included it. I didn't know that Amazon had such a service and the reviews are all good. Just seems cool to me to order a toilet install from Amazon, let you know how it turns out.

Shell Rotella T-6 motor oil for my diesel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CHT4W6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

51mYlqIQdSL._SY90_.jpg

Just ordered Wild Card Bananagrams, Uno, and Monopoly card game for when our grandkids visit. They were tired of the games we have and asked for these.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The Monopoly card game is great, Ally - much faster than the board game version but still fun.

Today I ordered a bluetooth speaker for DS's birthday gift next week, a replacement wheel cover for my Prius (discovered one missing last week and Amazon is about $25 cheaper than the Toyota dealer - I could have gone even cheaper with a knock-off on eBay but decided to stay OEM), a replacement iPad charger and cable to replace the one DD took back to NYC accidentally (??) after her Christmas visit, and a pair of tweezers for DH.

A hot air popcorn popper and some popcorn. As long as one doesn't load up the butter and salt it is actually a low calorie snack.

Here's what I didn't buy from Amazon:

Google Chromecast - Walmart.com

Decided that for $35, I should just try it out. I swear I had it on my wish list at Amazon, but I couldn't find it. OK, my poor memory. So I try searching Amazon - I find some cables and such, but no Chromecast. Some googling, and I find that Amazon dropped it, as it competes with their Fire products.

Hmmmm. Well, that's Amazon's prerogative, but it annoys me. I use Amazon a lot, and if I search there, and don't find all the product choices, that makes Amazon less attractive to me. I think it's short-sighted of Amazon, if their Fire product line is so great, let it compete.

-ERD50

Here's what I didn't buy from Amazon:

Google Chromecast - Walmart.com

Decided that for $35, I should just try it out. I swear I had it on my wish list at Amazon, but I couldn't find it. OK, my poor memory. So I try searching Amazon - I find some cables and such, but no Chromecast. Some googling, and I find that Amazon dropped it, as it competes with their Fire products.

Hmmmm. Well, that's Amazon's prerogative, but it annoys me. I use Amazon a lot, and if I search there, and don't find all the product choices, that makes Amazon less attractive to me. I think it's short-sighted of Amazon, if their Fire product line is so great, let it compete.

-ERD50

I don't know. I assume I have not bought it yet. :)

From the old joke, "Q: When was the last time you had sex? A: OMG! That was the last time!".

However, the most recent thing I bought from Amazon was:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSNPB96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At any rate, I did have the Chromecast on my Amazon wish list - I was planning on buying it from Amazon. I thought that was close enough for this thread-jacking pastime group.

-ERD50

Not quite my last buy, but I did notice that Amazon has quietly raised it minimum for free shipping (non prime members) to $49.

Not quite my last buy, but I did notice that Amazon has quietly raised it minimum for free shipping (non prime members) to $49.

Bummer, I had not noticed.

Double-bummer. Prime really has near zero value for me (I'm not speaking for others), so this is a bummer.

Time to be more aggressive at checking out the competition. Although it seems i buy a LOT from Amazon, I saw my total last year was just $1500. A $99 'tax' (Prime) on that isn't very attractive.

-ERD50

Double-bummer. Prime really has near zero value for me (I'm not speaking for others), so this is a bummer.

Time to be more aggressive at checking out the competition. Although it seems i buy a LOT from Amazon, I saw my total last year was just $1500. A $99 'tax' (Prime) on that isn't very attractive.

-ERD50

How much did you pay in shipping? I'd bet it was close to 99 or more... and if you like streaming movies - the combo of free shipping and streaming movies makes it cost effective.

I switched to prime when I had several purchases in a row where I had shipping charges over $10.... I looked back at my receipts and realized I should have bought prime sooner.

I'm finding the Amazon prices aren't necessarily as competitive as they once were. I've been an Amazon shopper since 1999 but recently I've been sourcing things from other places. While it's still the most convenient one-stop-shop with fast delivery but in some cases it just made sense to order elsewhere.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
How much did you pay in shipping? I'd bet it was close to 99 or more...

Zero is not close to $99. I'm almost never in a rush for any of this stuff, 2 days versus 5-7 days is not a hardship for me. I have not paid extra in shipping charges. And some items I've bought were not Prime-eligible anyhow.

I've also noticed that sometimes a seller has it cheaper (with their shipping) than Prime. So you pay a premium for Prime, then a second premium when you buy (though this is rare and small delta - but it's the principle of the thing), and many things just aren't Prime eligible anyhow, so that's no help.

and if you like streaming movies - the combo of free shipping and streaming movies makes it cost effective.

DW has Netflix, and we won't go w/o that (some shows she wants that are not on Prime). I had a free trial of Prime, and watched exactly ONE old classic that wasn't on Netflix.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't worth it for others - but I don't see the value for me.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Well I have had my Roomba a few weeks and it was a great purchase . It really does a decent job . It sails over my tile floors onto my hardwood floors with area rugs and even over bathroom rugs with ease . It is like having a cleaning lady .Best amazon purchase this year !

Last thing was The Division Bell by Pink Floyd, with free shipping.

I've got to decide tomorrow whether to re-up prime again. I really hate paying that much, but we get a lot out of it, including the free and fast shipping and the streaming (we also have Netflix) of shows we can't watch elsewhere.
Just ordered a cat tower for Roscoe--he loves it! ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1457920996.055402.jpg

Back
Top Bottom