Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That's really cool. I use my standard scale, measure my weight, then pick up the suitcase and take the difference. I have to admit your device is easier!

BTW, love my scale. It is a classic "Detecto" brand weight scale. There is no substitute. Springs won't do. Guess what? Scale was ordered from Amazon, but was sourced directly from Detecto.
I have a package scale that which I bought from Office Depot years ago. The scale goes up to 100 lbs and at first weigh in, the suitcase I'm packing came in at about 47 lbs. That's when I starting looking and saw the one at Amazon and just had to order (should arrive on Monday).

I saw a Youtube video saying that the scales at the airports aren't calibrated often. So if they are off and airlines want to charge you, then you own scale can help plead your case.

Plus, I want to be be sure my luggage is lightweight enough both flying out and back home.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #942
Administrator

These are really handy for getting things from high shelves, or that sock that is way in the back of the dryer, or whatever.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #943

Not an order, a return. We ordered a product ($105) with a guaranteed delivery, but it never showed. I complained, they sent another.
Ten days later, the original package shows up. I wait a couple of days, nothing from Amazon, so I sent them an email letting them know and asking for a return label so I could send it back. They seemed surprised, but did send the prepaid label.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #944
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

These are really handy for getting things from high shelves, or that sock that is way in the back of the dryer, or whatever.
Those things are great. Also great for getting the toy mice which cats push under a dresser .
Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #945
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought 2 Rolo-Matic mop heads.
We couldn't find them locally and didn't want to throw the mop away.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #946
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not an order, a return. We ordered a product ($105) with a guaranteed delivery, but it never showed. I complained, they sent another.
Ten days later, the original package shows up. I wait a couple of days, nothing from Amazon, so I sent them an email letting them know and asking for a return label so I could send it back. They seemed surprised, but did send the prepaid label.
Kudos for your honesty! Many would not have done the same!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #947
Recycles dryer sheets

Ronstar, I wanted an Arduino kit but I wouldn't know what to build with it. On the other hand, just got some running trail shoes from Amazon and waiting for wireless speakers for my g-daughter.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #948
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Those things are great. Also great for getting the toy mice which cats push under a dresser .
No cats here, but every time I drop something it goes under the furniture or between the refrigerator and counter or someplace like that. Now I have an easier way to retrieve these items.

Last night F was over here doing his laundry, since his washer recently broke and since he lives next door to me. We watched a movie on Netflix. Anyway he was absolutely intrigued by this thing, which was in my laundry room. He thought it was the neatest device ever, so I ordered another one for him using my rewards points.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #949

Christmas shopping in one order - 10 Amazon gift cards,
Old 12-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #950
Recycles dryer sheets

Was going to order a walker from amazon for my 93 year old mother. Comparing total cost (shipping and walker), ended up ordering the same walker from a private vender for $19.00 less. Package arrived today, one day ahead of promised delivery date. Packing slip said one ordered, one shipped. VISA shows charged for one. Three walkers arrived.......hmm what to do, what to do. If company agrees to sending postage paid for return shipping I will send back, otherwise my gain!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #951
Full time employment: Posting here.

Years ago, I ordered a hard drive. The box it came in was huge. I did not understand, until I opened it and saw they had shipped me 12!
I called them and they paid the return shipping
Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That's really cool. I use my standard scale, measure my weight, then pick up the suitcase and take the difference. I have to admit your device is easier!

BTW, love my scale. It is a classic "Detecto" brand weight scale. There is no substitute. Springs won't do. Guess what? Scale was ordered from Amazon, but was sourced directly from Detecto.
I got my luggage scale. It's accurate measured against the package scale I also have. I do have a bit of buyer's remorse though as the one I have doesn't fold nicely like another brand and the gauge of mine is every 5 lbs whereas the other is every pound. Plus the other has a carrying case.

But, the one I have is made more of metal than plastic which is a plus. Oh, on both of them, not only do they weigh luggage but also have a built in measuring tape to help make sure luggage is of proper dimension.

The one I got:

Amazon.com: Travelon Stop & Lock Luggage Scale, Black, One Size: Clothing

The one I kinda wish I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Smartrip-Lugga...=luggage+scale

p.s. I'm worn out just weighing my suitcase a few times..working out my triceps .
Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #953
Give me a forum ...

I ordered my grandchildren's Christmas gifts. Two Lego sets, three Barbie house furnishing sets, one gift card. It is great that the gifts for the out of town grandchildren can be ordered wrapped.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #954
Recycles dryer sheets

Assorted socks to make sock snakes for my grand babies.
Am considering ordering a horse head squirrel feeder on the recommendation of the cashier at Ace Hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #955

My woodworking router on-off switch went out today. So I popped one into my Amazon cart. But Amazon didn't like the size of my cart, so I added a chisel sharpening stone in order to get to a checkout screen.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #956
Give me a forum ...

Ordered a new computer router. Should arrive today with same day free shipping (I had to add a case of cat food too to bump the total order up to qualify for free same day shipping). Also had to chance to do a pickup up of the order at a 7-Eleven (now Amazon and 7-Eleven are shipping partners too, I guess) but chose to just get the delivery at home.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #957
Give me a forum ...

Vacuum cleaner belts. Was a house guest and volunteered to vacuum while hosts were out - promptly sucked in a shoelace and smoked the belt. Thank you Amazon Prime for the quick face save.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #958
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A replacement power supply for a 3TB HDD attached to my Dish receiver.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #959
Administrator

H&R Block tax software. It's half-price today.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Vacuum cleaner belts. Was a house guest and volunteered to vacuum while hosts were out - promptly sucked in a shoelace and smoked the belt. Thank you Amazon Prime for the quick face save.
Went to Walmart to get vacuum bags. It had very few bags, and not the one I need. Looks like people all use bagless machines now, instead of the old style like mine. I do not like the bagless because the mess I have seen when one empties it, so will continue to use mine.

Went on eBay and ordered 20 for $16, shipping included. And it arrived in 3 days. Son of gun!

I buy more from eBay than Amazon for things like this, as eBay is cheaper.