Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #1081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Best guess is, you will die fat and happy within two weeks.
Thus, no more need to sweat the "should my withdrawal rate be 3.721% or 3.722%?" With the help of the amazing 5lb candy bar diet, anyone can safely use an annualized withdrawal rate of 2500%--for two weeks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #1082

Three Merle VW diesel oil filters,
One diesel fuel filter,
Three 5 liter jugs of Motul 5W 30 engine oil (VW spec 507.00)
One box of Mini Greenies dog treats.

All ordered Prime.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And I've always wanted one of these - a five pound Hershey's chocolate bar. DW is gonna yell at me over that one.

On impulse, a one pound Snickers bar.
Everything arrived today. The 5 lb chocolate bar comes in a carefully packed box so it won't be broken, or at least this one isn't. When I opened the box... Oh. My. Gosh. It will take a year for both of us to get even halfway through this thing. If the dimensions are posted I missed it. This monster is 18" long, 9" wide, and a good 3/4" thick. Wow, talk about biting off more than you can chew! But I'll give it a good try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chocolate_bar2.jpg (109.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #1084
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered the Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Wireless IP Security Camera. We're trying to replace our crappy security system in FL with a web cam or two, and also a wifi based thermostat. We're not really worried about the security aspect, as our house would be fairly difficult to break into and stealing all of our good stuff would barely get us above the deductible. We just want to be able to look around every now and then. I prefer this one to the Nest because I don't want to have to pay for cloud storage since I'm already going to have to pay to keep internet access active. I'm going to set up an ftp server and upload to that.

For the thermostat I'm just looking for something that I can access and control remotely. I don't really care about the learning aspect, or remote sensors, or anything like that. I just want one that will reconnect automatically if power or wifi drops and comes back up, and that I can access from my PC. Phone would be nice, but not necessary. We just want to make sure it's maintaining the temperature while we're away for 6 months. And isn't too expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now I'm looking at the Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat as an inexpensive but functional starting point.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #1085
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just ordered two router bits. 1/2" spiral, one upcut and one downcut.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #1086

Ordered a 10 pack of solid 3" doorstops. But not to use as doorstops. I needed risers for a couple of PC monitors on my desk, and saw a video on you tube on how to make one from doorstops and a shelf (or unfinished wood if one is not fussy). Amazon had the best price. 6 doorstops, an $8 48" shelf from Home depot, and 5-10 minutes of labor, and I have a riser for two monitors with space under to slide the keyboard and storage if needed.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #1087
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rechargeable AA batteries: Tenergy Centura AA Low Self-Discharge LSD NiMH Rechargeable Batteries, 6 Card 24xAA

On sale yesterday for $25 for 24 batteries, since expired.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #1088
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rechargeable AA batteries: Tenergy Centura AA Low Self-Discharge LSD NiMH Rechargeable Batteries, 6 Card 24xAA

On sale yesterday for $25 for 24 batteries, since expired.
I hope you mean the sale expired, not you.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #1089
Administrator

A squeeze to open coin purse - perfect for earbuds. My DH liked my old one a lot and 'borrowed' it. Amazon.com: Roma Leathers Small Leather Squeeze Coin Pouch (Black): Shoes
Old 02-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #1090
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hope you mean the sale expired, not you.
Made me look. Apparently I don't have an expiration date, just a "use by" date.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Made me look. Apparently I don't have an expiration date, just a "use by" date.
I bet that's what you tell all the ladies.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #1092
Administrator

A new video game. I played the demo and absolutely loved it, but it got terrible reviews so I was conflicted about buying it for the list price of $40. However, recently it has been on sale and I snagged it for $20 yesterday (the price has gone back up a little since then). So, we'll see.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #1093

My Almost Amazon Purchase

I buy a lot from Amazon, but recently almost got taken to the cleaners.

DW likes San Fancisco Bay K-cup coffee (Hazelnut Creme). We have been buying the 80 count box for roughly $42 dilivered free (Prime). Lateley it was $47+.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

So I did some internet searching and ended up at the coffee maker's site (Rogers Family Gourmet Coffee) and found the same box of 80 for $31.99.

Rogers Family Gourmet Coffee and Tea

So I ordered 2 80 count boxes with free shipping and a 15% off coupon from Rogers for a grand total of $54.38 to our door.

Instead of paying $95.54 at Amazon for 160 K cups, we paid $54.38 for a savings of $41.16!!

Moral of the story: Be wary of Amazon pricing.

Forgot to add this: The last thing we ordered from Amazon was San Francisco Bay K cups - 80 Count - French Roast @ $33.87. (probably the last time to do this)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

SF bay.jpg
Old 02-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #1094
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
[...]Moral of the story: Be wary of Amazon pricing.[...]
Or pricing anywhere! I got my video game at half price on Amazon.

I really can't imagine the mentality of buying something from anywhere at all, without even looking at the price and deciding if the item and convenience (or lack of convenience) is worth it to me..
Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #1095
Give me a forum ...

Hoosier Hill Farm Prague Powder #1.

Just something to cure meat with (no, I don't know what disease it has).

I've never found a good explanation for why it's called Prague Powder. Does anyone know?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #1096
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Cat water fountain... My kitties need fresh water when I'm away.

note: picture is not my cat, but a stock photo of the fountain with a feline .

I got this cat fountain but unfortunately, I'm returning as my cats for the most part just ignored and did not drink out of it. That's too bad as the fountain is quite adorable.

Unless, I can find a filtered water bowl/fountain that they actually will use, looks like back to water bowls or non-electric water feeders.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Or pricing anywhere! I got my video game at half price on Amazon.

I really can't imagine the mentality of buying something from anywhere at all, without even looking at the price and deciding if the item and convenience (or lack of convenience) is worth it to me..
We are spending our entire winter up North this year as a close relative is recovering slowly from major surgery. We have been sorting thru 40 plus years of family photos. I pulled out all the kids school 8 by 10 and such and ordered a picture portfolio from Amazon..after it showed up it was so nice I wanted another one, but the price had more then doubled! I didn't order it and am price checking everyday.. it's less then 10 bucks more..but it's the principle of the thing!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #1098
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I didn't order it and am price checking everyday.. it's less then 10 bucks more..but it's the principle of the thing!
Are you familiar with camelcamelcamel.com?
It's a free Amazon price tracker.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Are you familiar with camelcamelcamel.com?
It's a free Amazon price tracker.
I have used it for a few things but I just click on my order link and price-check that way..There are several different version of this album under the same manufacturer and I want an exact duplicate
Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I have used it for a few things but I just click on my order link and price-check that way..There are several different version of this album under the same manufacturer and I want an exact duplicate
Another easy way to monitor prices is to place the items in your shopping cart as "save for later". When you go to your cart, any price changes since the last visit are shown at the top of the page. This is how I monitor regularly purchased items (dog food/treats, printer cartridges, etc) as well as things that I want to buy at some point (but no rush).