What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

Yes. It's happened a few times. We get lots of Amazon points from our business purchases, so DW feels it's her duty to use them up. I've occasionally tried to use them only to find they've magically disappeared between when I shopped and when they shipped the order. But as said above, it's easy enough to fix by using the credit card. As far as not noticing the email, I always look at anything that seems financially related. That's why I know of so many people that need to send me money from Nigeria.
OK, so it's not just me, there have been a few other replies as well.

Yes, it was easy to fix this time (I think I had to jump through a few hoops last time, a few emails back-forth with Amazon to understand the problem). I have all my 'retail' emails go to a separate folder, but there are now so many that I follow, just in case a hot deal comes up, these kind of get buried. If I missed it for 3 days, the order would be cancelled! Maybe I'll set up a separate rule/folder for Amazon, since that's the main place I routinely order from.

But it really shouldn't happen in the first place. Why indicate that you have points to use, when in some cases you can't use them, and it holds up the order?

-ERD50

I just saw something I don't think I ever experienced before (and it's a good thing).

Since I don't care to pay extra for Prime, I save some things on my list so I can group orders to hit the $45 minimum for free shipping. I generally try to break them up to be just over $45 as much as possible, for example, an order at $56, and a separate order at $49.

I break them up, because with the free shipping, they may delay one item in the shipment if they need to wait on another to become available. Less chance to have the whole package delayed if there are fewer items in it.

But I just recently ended up with two orders like this, placed on the same day (not so much intentionally, I realized I needed something extra later that day). I got a delivery promise on each that was 6 days from the day I ordered, which I was fine with. Today, they say they are going to combine the two separate orders (not just separate items in the same order) into one shipment. Same delivery date, so I'm fine with that too.

I just thought it was semi-interesting, I hadn't seen that before. And it alleviates that slight twinge of guilt I had causing two shipments instead of one, which must use a tiny bit more precious resources.

-ERD50

Last edited:
On the "What are you Spending On?" thread, I realized that I have hardly spent anything on my video game hobby this year. And I really, really wanted "The Legend of Zelda, A Link Between Worlds" for some time, but it wasn't cheap enough to suit me. (Edited to add: with shipping ,it is currently $52.34 :eek: and that's not unusually high for it).

Then today I discovered I could get one of two used copies available "Fulfilled by Amazon" for $19.99 with free Prime shipping. And then I discovered that using my credit card rewards, it would only cost me $5.82. Fate must have wanted me to play this game. :D So I ordered it just now.

Last edited:
Garage door opener quit working so I suspected the carriage assembly on my Genie was stripped. Common problem with Genie. I checked on line direct from Genie and the part was $24.95 plus $3 shipping plus $5 handling for a total of $32.95. I checked on Amazon and the price was $14.95 including free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Part arrived during lunch hour today, love that free 2 day shipping, and took about 1 hour to install it. Works like new again, at least till something else breaks again.

exnavy, yes, I had a CleverCat enclosed box for awhile. It worked well when my cat was younger but now he's a bit too old to leap up.

We have an old cat that also likes to make a mess and can't jump so well anymore. So, we bought this chest for about $30 (Bombay Co, maybe?) and put the litter box in it. We do have pee pads attached to the back since sometimes he REALLY misses. An added bonus is that the dogs can't raid it! :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 30
Free shipping on books

This is somewhat off topic but as the article below shows you can get free shipping on books without Amazon Prime when you order through an Amazon owned company in the UK.

https://thefinancebuff.com/books-free-shipping-no-amazon-prime.html

Amazon actually owns a company that sells books with free shipping worldwide on every order, even when you just buy one book. It’s called Book Depository. The company is based in the UK, but you buy in U.S. dollars. Prices are about the same as on Amazon.

replacement phone. Zenfone 2 has developed major screen issues. Getting that one replaced to sell on eBay. Ordered a Moto G 4 and case. Wife has one and it's been pretty solid. Plus Motorola has a good history with phones. Asus? Not so much...

I've been looking at this. Please let us know what you think after you've used it for a bit.
Ordered it last Friday and received it yesterday. The first few cups have been great will let you know more later.

Nine copies of Atul Gawande's 'Being Mortal'. Gifts for students.
I just bought my Kindle copy this morning. Borrowed it from the library a couple of weeks ago and knew after 15 minutes it is a book I will reading more than once.

Have had the Ninja coffee bar for a couple of days now and am very impressed by the way it works. Have tried all the different sizes it will brew and a couple of the recipes from the 40 recipe book that came with it. No problems of any kind.

This is the model I bought. I didn't want one that uses the K cups; we have only one grocery store in town and the selection of K cups is very limited. They do have a good selection of ground coffee.

Attachments

• ninja.jpg
    ninja.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 228
Very nice Ninja coffee bar system!

I needed a new coffee maker but for some reason went for the opposite extreme. In a fit of nostalgia for college days, I got a Melitta cone on Amazon a while back for $5.30. I am using that for now.

I rarely hawk products but if you like Melittas consider trying the Clever Coffee Dripper. Just a bit more expensive, lasts for years, and makes a superior cup of coffee. It is essentially a Melitta that allows the coffee to steep for a couple minutes before you release it into your cup. For people like me who like strong coffee it is fabulous. And yes you can buy it on amazon!

Reactions: W2R
A Dell E525W all-in-one color laser printer and a set of toner cartridges for it. We have a Dell color laser printer that I bought ~10 years ago when DW went back to school for her degree and it has printed many boxes of paper. Lately it has started smudging and smearing. I replaced the toner cartridges and the imaging drum (which I had in the basement anyway) and that didn't help. So I guess it is "new printer" time.

We don't print that much anymore anyway so absent a breakdown or being unable to get toner this should last a long time. I wanted the fax capability because once in a blue moon I still have to send a fax.

More video game hobby stuff. Basically, an amiibo card reader:

This is for reading amiibo cards. Amiibo cards are sort of like baseball cards for Animal Crossing, with an RFID chip in each. If you attach the card reader to the console, and scan the card, the animal depicted on the card will enter the game. There are around 400 animals by now. I already have cards for about 60 unique animals, and along with the card reader I ordered another 54 cards.

No, I'll never get all 400 animals since they are packaged randomly. :D

The upgrade to Animal Crossing was a free download, and it is as detailed and delightful as a full game. I wondered why it was free, until I found myself buying this stuff on Amazon. Nintendo is nobody's fool. :LOL:

Last edited:
I wondered why it was free, until I found myself buying this stuff on Amazon. Nintendo is nobody's fool. :LOL:

I think Gillette pioneered that business model. Give 'em the razor and sell the blades.

A "USAF Veteran" ballcap. It seems my youngest grandson expects me to be dressed appropriately when he takes me to his school on Veterans Day.

Refills for my 20 yr old Ross tree and shrub root feeder. I can't find these in the stores anymore and I have a lot of weak trees and shrubs that need TLC.

Back
Top Bottom