Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon is always our first stop
Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon is always our first stop

We like to get nice stuff, as in exactly what we want. We decide what we want, exactly, and then I spend lots of time trying to get exactly that item for the cheapest price.

Recently (last two months or so), our Amazon orders have run the gamut of eccentricity. I finally got a color laser (LED) Brother printer - from Amazon. That required file folder labels for laser printers and spare ink cartridges. I also got ceramic coffee filter cones and an AR15 laser sighting in device. I got tea, IP cams (we're up to 16 so far - I have been computerizing my house as my main hobby since 1978), a wheelchair (my Charcot Joint ankle needs to be babied), a wheelchair cushion and case for the wheelchair. We got cables, routers, motion detectors, cameras, wire, and garage door motion detectors for bringing the barn into the 21st century. Don't forget the batteries all these things eat, all from Amazon.

I got a set of watchband spring pins for my Pebble Smart watch and a crocodile band.

We routinely get dishwasher supplies for our fancy Miele (1990) dishwasher that seems to be very sensitive to whose detergent and rinse aid is used in it.

I recently tried to get bacon Jerky from Amazon but I can beat their price at the Target store. (Don't forget Target's 5% Redcard!).

My wife buys her clothes from places like J.Jill and Talbot and LL Bean not Amazon. She rarely buys clothes and doesn't appreciate the cheapness of Amazon's fashions.

I am a Prime member. I also got a $30.00 savings from getting a credit card from them. I only used it once for the initial buy/deal and always use my cash back Navy Visa Card.

We have enough money in our withdrawal rate/wife's income to pay for these items and still save more for the future even though we have enough.

I spend a lot but get a greater amount of goods for the money. We also shop at the Wegman's ($$$Cheese$$$) because of the selection and quality. Wegman's is not cheap but apparently, to people like us, it's worth it. I shop sales(on stuff we normally buy) and stock up. I use coupons. I kept track of my coupon use for one year and found out that we got $180.00 off by using them. So that's worth it.

Amazon opened a southern East Coast warehouse in rural Virginia last August and we now have to pay state sales tax on items from Amazon itself. We don't have to pay sales tax from third party shippers in other states. I bought two cameras and Amazon wanted $11.04 sales tax on the Prime 2 day shipping deal. I kept looking and found an Amazon seller in Pa that had the same exact cameras for the same exact price. They were so close to us on the map that it turned out that their ordinary cheapest shipping was overnight to our locale and they didn't have to charge sales tax. So, same exact thing for $11.04 less one day sooner. Plus, I got 1.5% back on my cash back Navy Visa card. My wife says I'm a great spender. I think I am just a responsible spender.

I love Amazon. I hear that they are yet to show a profit but I bet that's because of guys like me!

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cameras.jpg (2.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 41P9FtsEhJL._SX100_.jpg (1.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 21amYN+QT8L._SY100_.jpg (2.1 KB, 230 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Air compressor tank drain valve and a 125 PSI pressure relief valve. Both items for my 4 hp, 220V compressor. Just ran new power circuit to my workshop area for this old dog.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon is barely breaking even. It currently shows a net profit margin of 0.38%, and sports a P/E of almost 500. Investors like its sales growth of 22%/yr. Maybe it will make it up on volume eventually.

Compared with the above, Kroger, a grocery chain, has a net profit margin of 1.54% and a P/E of 16, and a minuscule sales growth. Grocery stores have the lowest profit margin of all businesses.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I don't buy a lot from them, but did recently get an out-of-print children's book that DS had loved, as a gift for his new baby. It cost $7!

My previous employer had a wellness program that awarded points for various activities and, since I'm very conscious about health and fitness, I racked up a lot of points. A few weeks before I left, they added the ability to cash in those points for Amazon.com gift cards. Great timing. Of course I no longer have access to the wellness site but before I resigned I cashed in all the points and have $430 in credits on my Amazon account.

I'm still on the fence but will likely get an iPad or one of the convertible computers that detaches from a keyboard but acts more like a laptop than a giant iPod Touch. I need Excel-type software but am also undecided about whether I want connectivity to Verizon, Sprint, etc. I've got the cheapest data plan for my iPhone because I mostly use it with Wi-Fi. If I start watching streamed movies and TV on the iPad while DH and I are on road trips (he does the driving), that will add a lot to the monthly data costs.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

I love reading this thread! It gives me some absolutely super ideas of what to do with the money I am saving from cancelling cable television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I finally got a color laser (LED) Brother printer - from Amazon. That required file folder labels for laser printers and spare ink cartridges.
I bought a Brother color laser printer in 2005, the week before Hurricane Katrina, actually. I just use it occasionally as needed here at home, plus Frank brings printing over occasionally to print out on my printer. So far, I have not needed to replace the ink cartridges even once. It still prints in beautiful color, just as nice as the day I bought it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Amazon is barely breaking even. It currently shows a net profit margin of 0.38%, and sports a P/E of almost 500. Investors like its sales growth of 22%/yr. Maybe it will make it up on volume eventually.

Compared with the above, Kroger, a grocery chain, has a net profit margin of 1.54% and a P/E of 16, and a minuscule sales growth. Grocery stores have the lowest profit margin of all businesses.
I'll give you an example of what's got to be killing them, besides building out "service centers".

Last week I wanted to update the map file on my Garmin. Not enough room in the Garmin so I ordered an 8 GB Micro SD card from Amazon for $6.99. I am a Prime member so shipping was free and I only paid $0.60 sales tax (Texas). I ordered Wednesday evening and it was hand delivered by UPS Friday afternoon.

I don't know what kind of deal they get from UPS on shipping rates, but it has to be more than "free".
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... absolutely super ideas of what to do with the money...
Spend, spend, spend... I love it when people do this. My stocks cannot go up when people do not spend.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Spend, spend, spend... I love it when people do this. My stocks cannot go up when people do not spend.
I am doing my best to single-handedly prop up the economy! I must admit this is more fun than cable television.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

My last few orders:

- 3 Wifi cameras to keep an eye on our home when we travel
- 3 shampoo bottles for DW
- some art supplies (pens, fixatif spray, book)
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Here in Canada we cannot get Amazon to ship stuff other than books. But this morning I downloaded a copy of Bernstein's The Four Pillars of Investing (2010 update) for $1.99. I read about it on the Canadian Money Forum. It is available at this price in the US also, today only.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #111
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here in Canada we cannot get Amazon to ship stuff other than books. But this morning I downloaded a copy of Bernstein's The Four Pillars of Investing (2010 update) for $1.99. I read about it on the Canadian Money Forum. It is available at this price in the US also, today only.
I bought it also plus I have had great luck with book bub recommending good books for $1.99 or $2.99 from Amazon. I click on the book and can read the reviews before I commit to buy .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #112

Two books on Windows 8.1:

Windows 8.1 The Missing Manual

Windows 8 Secrets by Paul Thurrott and Rafael Rivera

I liked Thurrott and Rivera's book on Windows 7 when I had to learn that OS so didn't hesitate to buy it too.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

Water proof mp3 player for swimming
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Wow I ordered yet another GPS device!

This is a cool little GPS data logger that lets you later upload your track to your iPad or iPhone whatever. Very popular with pilots. I'll be using it to run a track when I'm out for a walk or cycle. I had often considered getting a hiker type GPS for that purpose but never did it. At 3.2 ounces and tiny, this is a much nicer solution.
Amazon.com: Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro (Black/silver): GPS & Navigation
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here in Canada we cannot get Amazon to ship stuff other than books.

That is too bad. I hope they are working on delivery of other items for Canada like in the U.S. It is the next best thing to owning a replicator. I just order stuff I need and it appears on my doorstep, usually at a lower price than I could find by driving to a local store.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
That is too bad. I hope they are working on delivery of other items for Canada like in the U.S. It is the next best thing to owning a replicator. I just order stuff I need and it appears on my doorstep, usually at a lower price than I could find by driving to a local store.
A replicator, LOL! A great description!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #117
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A new heart rate monitor, and downloaded The Best of 2Pac, Pt1 - Thug.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Well, what do you know? While I was busy NOT shopping, Amazon started shipping stuff and offering Prime in Canada in late 2013. No video streaming though. Apologies for the incorrect statement. I should have checked first. The question now is: will I use it and possibly spend more?

There is already a Canadian online shopping site (shop.ca) and I have never bought anything there. Avoiding shops, whether online it bricks and mortar, is key to my LBYM! Just this week I passed by the local liquidation store on the way to get my hair cut, and they had some great new stock. I spent $40, but I got a lot of small household items and a new set of towels.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Bezos is genetically wired to keep those margins razor thin. It's always been that way.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

DH ordered some luggage.