Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #1321
Administrator

I bought this Animal Crossing card, with an RFID chip in it, for $5 (paid with credit card rewards, so in a sense it was free).

If you touch the card to the 3DSXL gaming console, then the animal depicted on the card enters your Animal Crossing game. The cranky, peculiar penguin Hopper is my favorite of the 333 animals in that game.

Now if this purchase isn't frivolous, I don't know what is! I'll never manage to out-do the members who love blowing money on expensive cognac and caviar, but I suppose this qualifies as a really good try.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #1322
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today was amazon gift cards, a battery charger thing to plug into a cigarette lighter and 8 fly catchers. The fly catchers are great we have filled some with dead flies already. A smelly bag fills with flies who drown, fewer flies get in the house and murdering flies is makes people happy like murdering ants or roaches.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #1323
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Years ago I swore I would never buy another battery operated hand vacuum but I did.

Decker-BDH2000PL-Lithium-Vacuum-20-volt/dp/B00IOEFBKS
Just ordered it as my Electrolux sweeper died. Am hoping it works well (better than the Electrolux) in picking up kitty's litter. She tries to dig to China when using the potty .
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #1324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got Off My Dining Table!

Just ordered an electric fly swatter called "The Executioner".

https://www.amazon.com/Executioner-S...ic+fly+swatter

During the summer some flies sneak in and hopefully this will work better than a regular swatter.

I've never had an electric fly swatter before so this should be interesting .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fly swatter.jpg (81.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #1325
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ordered these reading glasses. They are great for guy's pockets. At about $6 per pair they are expendable too. I've never found such a compact case and glasses that are decently constructed. If they last a year I would feel it is a good purchase.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #1326
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

During the summer some flies sneak in and hopefully this will work better than a regular swatter.

Frank has one and uses it all the time. He loves it! I hope you do, too. It not only kills the bugs, but also it's fun (or so he says). I borrowed it when a bee got in my house, but I didn't think it was that fun because I was scared to death of the bee and of what could happen if it survived my first attempt at killing it. Turned out it left via the door so I didn't have find out.

Lsbcal, I got six pairs of cheap readers off Amazon too, to leave around the house in various convenient places. The ones I bought were a little cheaper but didn't have the nice cases like yours. They are just fine for me and I love the cheap prices. I also bought a moderate priced pair of readers to keep by my easy chair where I spend more time reading.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #1327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Frank has one and uses it all the time. He loves it! I hope you do, too. It not only kills the bugs, but also it's fun (or so he says). I borrowed it when a bee got in my house, but I didn't think it was that fun because I was scared to death of the bee and of what could happen if it survived my first attempt at killing it. Turned out it left via the door so I didn't have find out.

Lsbcal, I got six pairs of cheap readers off Amazon too, to leave around the house in various convenient places. The ones I bought were a little cheaper but didn't have the nice cases like yours. They are just fine for me and I love the cheap prices. I also bought a moderate priced pair of readers to keep by my easy chair where I spend more time reading.
W2R,

That's funny about the bee ending up leaving through the door.

There were three flies that I killed yesterday using the slipper method. My zapper won't arrive until Thursday. As of today, no flies which is a good thing. But I think they are sneaking in through a small gap between my sliding balcony window.

I've been reading different versions of a electronic swatter and there are those that use AA batteries, those that run on C batteries, those that are rechargeable and of course of varying quality plastic and ones safer (with different layers) or not.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #1328
Give me a forum ...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1470164244.066412.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #1329
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I got one free from Harbor Freight with some tool purchase. I tested it on myself - mmm yeah don't do that unless you enjoy the smell of burnt skin for an hour! It really zaps you. Oh and it stays charged even after you turn it off at the switch (the warning sticker mentioned this which I didn't read until after the fact)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #1330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I got one free from Harbor Freight with some tool purchase. I tested it on myself - mmm yeah don't do that unless you enjoy the smell of burnt skin for an hour! It really zaps you. Oh and it stays charged even after you turn it off at the switch (the warning sticker mentioned this which I didn't read until after the fact)
Thanks for the fair warning. I see on youtube where there are a folks who video themselves getting zapped. A glutton for punishment or attention, I suppose . Probably the best description is treat these thing like any other bug control things. In other words, safety first.

My bug zapper racket arrives later today. Now, I just need some flies.

Update: I showed some mercy as a fly snuck in my place but since I haven't received my zapper yet, I just let the fly back out through the window. I thought about using that fly as a test for my zapper but since I had no quarrel (the fly didn't go buzzing around me or on my dining table, but just "sat" by the window), I gave the darn thing a break and set it free.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #1331
Confused about dryer sheets

A new 8ft beach umbrella, wore out the last one.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #1332

Relpacement battery for 2010 model MacBook Pro.

Three-hole punch for work. Tired of chasing youngins around the office for a three-hole punch. Gonna chain this to my cube somehow.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Relpacement battery for 2010 model MacBook Pro.

Three-hole punch for work. Tired of chasing youngins around the office for a three-hole punch. Gonna chain this to my cube somehow.
you guys aren't paperless?
Old 08-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you guys aren't paperless?
OMG, we print everything. Then we print it for the guvvies.
It's mostly 11x17 b/w, but we do color! Oh yeah, we pdf stuff and email that to others so that they may print glorious 11x17 prints for their binders.

I could go on a whole rant about the many ways to bind these gargantuan sheets. Large 3-ring binders with 3-hole punch. Paperless punch. Fold over clasps. Lock-down hinge.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #1335

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
OMG, we print everything. Then we print it for the guvvies.
It's mostly 11x17 b/w, but we do color! Oh yeah, we pdf stuff and email that to others so that they may print glorious 11x17 prints for their binders.

I could go on a whole rant about the many ways to bind these gargantuan sheets. Large 3-ring binders with 3-hole punch. Paperless punch. Fold over clasps. Lock-down hinge.
we put everything in onenote now - no more paper, way more secure too
Old 08-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #1336
Recycles dryer sheets

Omron 10 Series Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor BP786N
on special today for $47.50
Reviews say its a good one.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #1337

LED dusk to dawn porchlight. Very bright (2300 lumens), low consumption (25 watt) and long life (45,000 hours)

Has discreet LED's, so not repairable, but low cost, $50 and should last 15 years.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #1338

A couple of 128 Gig type 3.0 thumb drives , just to backup pictures, and document directory from our computers.

They are still on sale, and if you join their rewards program, you get free shipping at $15 purchase.

PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (P-FD128TBOP-GE) | Staples®

I reformatted mine to NTFS so it will take large files (over 4 Gig) and work on Windows and Linux and Mac Machines.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #1339
Dryer sheet aficionado

A new pond pump for the koi pond.

Sent from my VS986 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
— Louis Armstrong
redshift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #1340
Recycles dryer sheets

D-mannose powder to add to Cleopas's (cat with CKD) food.........great for preventing UTI's which such cats frequently get.....she has not had an infection for almost a year now, since I started adding this to her food. NOW is the brand name. It's actually marketed to humans for the same condition. have not had a need yet to try it on myself. Also a text for one of my on-line classes. i wont need t for several weeks yet, but it was the practical way to get to free shipping.