Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Amazon is sprinkled with oddball products offered by third party sellers at ridiculous prices like this. Once in a while some sucker will fall for it, so it must be worth the effort even for an occasional sale.
I've seen that too, like an item that normally sells for ~$100 listed for $850.

As has been noted on other threads, when you get to the point that your boat has two helicopter pads it just doesn't matter anymore.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #1362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've seen that too, like an item that normally sells for ~$100 listed for $850.
Maybe this?

Quote:
The incident highlights a little-known fact about e-commerce sites such as Amazon: Often, people don't create and update prices; computer algorithms do.
Amazon seller lists book at $23,698,655.93 -- plus shipping - CNN.com

Old 08-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #1363

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Could be, that would explain it. It's not there now (I just checked) but what I was looking for was a discontinued model airplane of a B-17G that normally sold for $129. I thought maybe that it was discontinued accounted for the high price but computers arguing with each other makes more sense.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #1364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
when you get to the point that your boat has two helicopter pads it just doesn't matter anymore.
When all your friends also have helicopters, it may matter quite a bit.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #1365
Recycles dryer sheets

For coffee lovers. I ordered a "Sterling Pro" french press a couple of months back. Really well made, high quality, and makes a great cup, up to 32 ozs of coffee. Seems like it's going to last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/SterlingPro-Double-Stainless-French-Coffee/dp/B00MMQOZ1U/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1471728995&sr=1-2&keywords=sterling+pro+french+press[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #1366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A truffle shaver.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #1367

Back to school mode (thank goodness)....

* 2 master locks (they don't remember the combos from the locks last year)
* New sneakers for both boys. (Size 14 for the older is too hard to find in the stores.)

That's what I couldn't find at Target yesterday.... Where I managed to find $250 worth of school supplies, a new backpack, and clothes that meet the schools' dress codes. (Younger son has a dress code/uniform at his school.)

I am so looking forward to a week from now when they actually start back to school. Does that make me a bad mom?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I am so looking forward to a week from now when they actually start back to school. Does that make me a bad mom?
No, but it makes the traffic worse.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #1369

I ordered a second hand copy of Beggars and Choosers (Nancy Kress) from Amazon - but only because I couldn't find a supplier who could source the book with free shipping:

Book: USD0.01
Shipping: USD7.99 (Normal rate)

:face palm:
Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #1370

Patellar tendon straps to stabilize my kneecaps while running. They sent me one in the wrong size. Had to go through the re-order and return process.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #1371
Give me a forum ...

A new Samsung 48" tv. Should arrive tomorrow. Last week when I was at my condo, my 40" tv died. Upgrading here and taking the older one to the condo.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #1372

DH accidentally got us signed up for Prime (one of us usually does the 30-day free trial in November for Christmas shopping and he forgot to cancel it this time). Because we have it, we have been using Amazon much more (even though most of the orders are over $35 and thus would have had free - slow - shipping anyway). My most recent order was eclectic: Aeropress filters, two wire shelves and a replacement sewer dump cap for the motorhome, a new dog bed (the original one I bought at the pet store where we adopted him last year is falling apart already), lobster clasps for a craft project, vacuum cleaner bags, and a replacement vegetable peeler as my favorite one disappeared itself a month or so ago and I have given up waiting to find it. I've started keeping a list of things to order when I think of them and now find myself going out to shop much less frequently. Interesting.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #1373
Give me a forum ...

Ordered a replacement battery for a cordless vac that is still going strong after a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00427E6BQ...NYCJFN9GNVMVTT
Old 08-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #1374

A new umbrella to replace the old one I keep in the pickup. The old one was a $10 special at Walmart and the plastic handle is oozing something sticky. Also some extra batteries for small R/C airplanes, and a replacement wireless mouse for the laptop. That one was starting to behave erratically for some reason.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #1375

32 GB USB drive to store about 2,000 songs I have scattered across several storage devices.

Perpetual music in my car forever and randomly played!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #1376
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
A truffle shaver.
Really? Do you buy fresh truffles, too? White, or black, or both? The flavor and aroma of freshly shaved white truffle over some creamy risotto is absolutely one of the most sublime experiences imaginable... when it comes to food.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #1377

Ok... I'm convinced you can get ANYTHING on Amazon. A bollard jumped out in front of my car the other day and I dented the plastic bumper on my Highlander Hybrid. (Yes, I hit the bollard, I know this.... really stupid mistake on my part.)

Dollar signs started floating in front of my eyes. DH suggested I price the bumper online - and we could replace it ourselves OR take it to a shop to replace it for a lot less than if they had to get the part.

Amazon had my bumper for not to much $$$. $178 shipped.

I also ordered the little clippy things that attach the bumper. DH and Older son are going to implement the repair (I hope) this week.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #1378

I use Amazon a fair bit but recently decided to try Jet.com. They keep sending popups for 10% off and there was an item I needed that was out of stock at 2 nearby stores. Of course I padded the order with household items to get free 2 day shipping and a better discount. I placed a $35 order at 11am on Weds and the box was delivered by 8am Thurs. The prices were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Really? Do you buy fresh truffles, too? White, or black, or both? The flavor and aroma of freshly shaved white truffle over some creamy risotto is absolutely one of the most sublime experiences imaginable... when it comes to food.
Yes, but only recently. Some fresh black summer truffles and they are nowhere near as good as the white ones. I would say 10% of the flavor.

I am going to order some fresh white winter truffles this year. Brutally expensive, more than caviar, but is keeping with my "blow more dough" theme in my retirement.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #1380
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ordered a paddle boat for the river camp.