Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 AM   #1441
Moderator Emeritus

2 books on making Greene and Greene style furniture
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #1442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

book on cheese making and yeast. Presently the yeast is having a party in a food grade trash can with apple cider, cranberries and a bunch of sugar.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #1443

Giant litter box with high sides for my cat who "misses" by hanging his rear end over the side. I think I've spent a small fortune on litter boxes, trying to find one that cures this habit. My set up now is: lay down puppy pee pads, put giant dishwasher pan on top, put litter box on dishwasher pan. Triple layer to keep the nasty off the floor at least.

Nice long polar tech jacket to wear in the house on chilly days--winter is a-comin' in.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Giant litter box with high sides for my cat who "misses" by hanging his rear end over the side. I think I've spend a small fortune on litter boxes, trying to find one that cures this habit. My set up now is: lay down puppy pee pads, put giant dishwasher pan on top, put litter box on dishwasher pan. Triple layer to keep the nasty off the floor at least.

Nice long polar tech jacket to wear in the house on chilly days--winter is a-comin' in.
A friend of mine has a litter box for his cat that is enclosed. Have you tried one of them?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Amazon Order Declined!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #1445
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon Order Declined!

This happened to me a while back, and just happened again this AM. Makes no sense, Amazon should get their act together on this.

Quote:
If you chose to use rewards points and the transaction has been declined, please contact your rewards program provider at the number found on the back of your related credit card. Since we don't charge you until the order ships, you may have used the rewards points for other purchases after placing this order. The remaining balance may not have been enough to cover this shipment.
Geez, if the Reward Points haven't 'cleared' why make them available to me to use? If I didn't notice this email, my shipment would be delayed, or maybe even cancelled.

Anyone else have this problem before?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #1446
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Phrase book
Old 10-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #1447

Phrase book

A Lonely Planet Farsi-English phrase book. I will be flying a couple that does not speak much English to his appointment.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #1448

I have had two orders declined because I used the points on another transaction. All you need to do is resubmit using the original credit card and it should be successful.

Yes, Amazon should update their system. The first time this happened must have been at least a year ago, the second one was a few days ago.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #1449

exnavy, yes, I had a CleverCat enclosed box for awhile. It worked well when my cat was younger but now he's a bit too old to leap up.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #1450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This happened to me a while back, and just happened again this AM. Makes no sense, Amazon should get their act together on this.

Geez, if the Reward Points haven't 'cleared' why make them available to me to use? If I didn't notice this email, my shipment would be delayed, or maybe even cancelled.

Yes. It's happened a few times. We get lots of Amazon points from our business purchases, so DW feels it's her duty to use them up. I've occasionally tried to use them only to find they've magically disappeared between when I shopped and when they shipped the order. But as said above, it's easy enough to fix by using the credit card. As far as not noticing the email, I always look at anything that seems financially related. That's why I know of so many people that need to send me money from Nigeria.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #1451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yes. It's happened a few times. We get lots of Amazon points from our business purchases, so DW feels it's her duty to use them up. I've occasionally tried to use them only to find they've magically disappeared between when I shopped and when they shipped the order. But as said above, it's easy enough to fix by using the credit card. As far as not noticing the email, I always look at anything that seems financially related. That's why I know of so many people that need to send me money from Nigeria.
OK, so it's not just me, there have been a few other replies as well.

Yes, it was easy to fix this time (I think I had to jump through a few hoops last time, a few emails back-forth with Amazon to understand the problem). I have all my 'retail' emails go to a separate folder, but there are now so many that I follow, just in case a hot deal comes up, these kind of get buried. If I missed it for 3 days, the order would be cancelled! Maybe I'll set up a separate rule/folder for Amazon, since that's the main place I routinely order from.

But it really shouldn't happen in the first place. Why indicate that you have points to use, when in some cases you can't use them, and it holds up the order?

-ERD50
Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #1452
Give me a forum ...

I just saw something I don't think I ever experienced before (and it's a good thing).

Since I don't care to pay extra for Prime, I save some things on my list so I can group orders to hit the $45 minimum for free shipping. I generally try to break them up to be just over $45 as much as possible, for example, an order at $56, and a separate order at $49.

I break them up, because with the free shipping, they may delay one item in the shipment if they need to wait on another to become available. Less chance to have the whole package delayed if there are fewer items in it.

But I just recently ended up with two orders like this, placed on the same day (not so much intentionally, I realized I needed something extra later that day). I got a delivery promise on each that was 6 days from the day I ordered, which I was fine with. Today, they say they are going to combine the two separate orders (not just separate items in the same order) into one shipment. Same delivery date, so I'm fine with that too.

I just thought it was semi-interesting, I hadn't seen that before. And it alleviates that slight twinge of guilt I had causing two shipments instead of one, which must use a tiny bit more precious resources.

-ERD50
Old 10-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #1453

Hydralic fluid for outboard motor tilt mechanism.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #1454
Moderator Emeritus

On the "What are you Spending On?" thread, I realized that I have hardly spent anything on my video game hobby this year. And I really, really wanted "The Legend of Zelda, A Link Between Worlds" for some time, but it wasn't cheap enough to suit me. (Edited to add: with shipping ,it is currently $52.34 and that's not unusually high for it).

Then today I discovered I could get one of two used copies available "Fulfilled by Amazon" for $19.99 with free Prime shipping. And then I discovered that using my credit card rewards, it would only cost me $5.82. Fate must have wanted me to play this game. So I ordered it just now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #1455
Full time employment: Posting here.

Garage door opener quit working so I suspected the carriage assembly on my Genie was stripped. Common problem with Genie. I checked on line direct from Genie and the part was $24.95 plus $3 shipping plus $5 handling for a total of $32.95. I checked on Amazon and the price was $14.95 including free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Part arrived during lunch hour today, love that free 2 day shipping, and took about 1 hour to install it. Works like new again, at least till something else breaks again.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #1456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
exnavy, yes, I had a CleverCat enclosed box for awhile. It worked well when my cat was younger but now he's a bit too old to leap up.
We have an old cat that also likes to make a mess and can't jump so well anymore. So, we bought this chest for about $30 (Bombay Co, maybe?) and put the litter box in it. We do have pee pads attached to the back since sometimes he REALLY misses. An added bonus is that the dogs can't raid it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (112.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (157.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #1457
Recycles dryer sheets

I just put a big thick bead of this around the edges of my campaign yard sign.

bob boag is offline   Reply With Quote
Free shipping on books
Old 10-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #1458
Give me a forum ...

Free shipping on books

This is somewhat off topic but as the article below shows you can get free shipping on books without Amazon Prime when you order through an Amazon owned company in the UK.

https://thefinancebuff.com/books-fre...zon-prime.html

Quote:
Amazon actually owns a company that sells books with free shipping worldwide on every order, even when you just buy one book. It’s called Book Depository. The company is based in the UK, but you buy in U.S. dollars. Prices are about the same as on Amazon.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #1459

A long fleece bathrobe. Can't have too much fleece for the long winter ahead.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #1460
Moderator Emeritus

K cups - 160 of them. That should keep DW in coffee for a while.