Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #1521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just ordered up one of those "retirement" clocks -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #1522
Give me a forum ...

two screen protectors for my s7 active - 7 buck shipped
Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #1523
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just thought this might be fun for those of us who occasionally succumb to the allure of consumerism...

To start the thread, I'll go first. This morning I got an emergency weather radio. This could be a timely purchase, given that I live in New Orleans and that hurricane season is coming up on the first of June.

This is an AM/FM/weather/alerts/shortwave radio, and has a lithium battery, hand crank, solar, and AAA battery backup. It can charge a cell phone or iPad, has a flashlight, and more. Basically it is the Swiss Army knife of radios and looks like a nice radio to have in a weather emergency with power outage.
Yesterday we had a power failure for a couple of hours, probably due to a brief but heavy thunderstorm with lots of wind.
It was really comforting to have my AM/FM/SW/weather radio with built in bright flashlight, right here within reach. This turned out to be a really good purchase for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #1524

Another Instant Pot buyer here a couple of days ago at the $69 price. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...2C+6Qt%2F1000W
Old 12-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #1525
Administrator

My latest purchase was a pack of P-38 can openers. Anyone who ever ate C-rations will be quite familiar with them.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #1526

I've had one on my keyring for the last 45 years.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #1527
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanilla beans. DW wants to try making vanilla extract.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #1528
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ordered the instant pot Monday and it was supposed to arrive today, but now I see it won't till maybe tomorrow. Got it at the $69 price.

Ordered an infant car seat for a baby gift and Amazon tantalized me with 2 day shipping to arrive Saturday Dec. 3rd. Then I clicked order and it was magically transformed to delivery by Dec. 6th. I seriously consider Prime a racket as I almost never receive 2 day shipping. The $99 Prime fee gets me not very much!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #1529

I asked my niece to set up a Christmas wish list on Amazon for her 3 kids, so I ordered clothing and toys from that list.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #1530
Recycles dryer sheets

Two sets of tire chains for the truck in case we have snow on the way to AZ in a few weeks. We drive the pickup and tow the Wrangler. Three months of trail riding the hills and mountains around Lake Havasu City.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:49 AM   #1531

Thanksgiving week - tried this product at my cousin's house after towel-drying hair - result was smooth and silky. Immediately searched to purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico1597 View Post
Two sets of tire chains for the truck in case we have snow on the way to AZ in a few weeks. We drive the pickup and tow the Wrangler. Three months of trail riding the hills and mountains around Lake Havasu City.
That sounds like fun! What do you stay in while you are there? I have a stock 2013 Rubicon Unlimited. Would it do for the trails around there?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #1533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
After a few weeks of use I can report that I have had no issues with this printer (Dell E525W All-in-one color laser printer). The copy function works well and the printing is very clear and sharp. It even does a fair job with photos for a laser printer. No jamming so far. I haven't tried the fax yet, I only need that two or three times a year. We are still on the original toner cartridges and probably will be until next summer or fall. I bought aftermarket toner cartridges since the Dell ones are priced outrageously high and will let you know if there are any issues with those.

Oh, the default set up is to answer the phone line as a fax so I had to look in the manual to find out how to turn that off. But that's a one-time minor pita.

So far I'm liking this printer.
Have you scanned any photos with this printer. I shopped a little on Black Friday and just gave up as every printer seemed to have an almost 50/50 bad to good review ratio. I was hard to believe people were even talking about the same printer.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #1534

Bummer. The Instant Pot arrived today but is dead out of the box. Return label is printed & everything packed up to go to the UPS store tomorrow on the way to the gym. I did ask that they send a replacement and that is supposed to arrive Sunday. I never had an Amazon delivery on a Sunday before. I guess they're ramped up for the Christmas season and don't want stuff to pile up.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #1535
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Bummer. The Instant Pot arrived today but is dead out of the box. Return label is printed & everything packed up to go to the UPS store tomorrow on the way to the gym. I did ask that they send a replacement and that is supposed to arrive Sunday. I never had an Amazon delivery on a Sunday before. I guess they're ramped up for the Christmas season and don't want stuff to pile up.
Usually my Amazon Sunday deliveries are via USPS. At first I hated that, but my local USPS has actually been improving in their deliveries and I don't mind it any more. So, it could be that UPS is ramping up, but then again it could be that the new Instant Pot is coming by USPS.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #1536
Moderator Emeritus

Another Amazon rant - I ordered some woodworking clamps on 11/19. I thought it was odd that the delivery date listed was 12/21. A couple of days ago, it was still listed to be delivered 12/21. A month and 2 days after order. Must not have been eligible for prime. I couldn't wait. I went to the store and bought some more.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Another Amazon rant - I ordered some woodworking clamps on 11/19. I thought it was odd that the delivery date listed was 12/21. A couple of days ago, it was still listed to be delivered 12/21. A month and 2 days after order. Must not have been eligible for prime. I couldn't wait. I went to the store and bought some more.
Ronstar, Wonder if the vendor was one of the one's selling counterfeit goods that Amazon is supposed to be cracking down on. I had ordered water filters in Sept or Oct and just recently sent the vendor an email asking when they would ship. I got an email from Amazon saying that vendor was no longer with Amazon. Don't know if my filters were from a counterfeiter but seems strange that Amazon gave no explanation.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #1538
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have noticed when Amazon does not have an item in stock they sometimes still list it for sale and will give a delivery date of 2 weeks to 2 months later when they feel they will be available even when it is Prime eligible. I have never gone ahead and ordered when it is out that far.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #1539
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Ronstar, Wonder if the vendor was one of the one's selling counterfeit goods that Amazon is supposed to be cracking down on. I had ordered water filters in Sept or Oct and just recently sent the vendor an email asking when they would ship. I got an email from Amazon saying that vendor was no longer with Amazon. Don't know if my filters were from a counterfeiter but seems strange that Amazon gave no explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I have noticed when Amazon does not have an item in stock they sometimes still list it for sale and will give a delivery date of 2 weeks to 2 months later when they feel they will be available even when it is Prime eligible. I have never gone ahead and ordered when it is out that far.
splitwdw - Don't think the goods are counterfeit. Chinese seller get 96% good reviews.

Dave - that is probably what happened in my case. But I ordered it anyway. Just checked order status again and it says it was delivered Monday 11/28. It wasn't delivered here. What a cluster.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #1540
Give me a forum ...

Bought for a white elephant exchange.

IMG_1480737643.837362.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote