Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #661

73" double vanity top. (for bathroom remodel)
Fiori di Sicilia (an extract I need for these really good almond cookies.)
Almond paste (for the same cookies)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A little LED keychain flashlight, and a video game are both on their way to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

a Pokemon movie for DS11
Old 04-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Just bought a big key lock to hold an extra car key in my trunk.

Amazon.com: Frostfire Mooncode - Large Portable Key Storage Security Box: Home Improvement
I was interested in this one for storing a house key. BUT watching the video from the first Amazon review turned me off:
Quote:
There is only one big problem with the key combination mechanism and that is you can actually find very easy the code. Watch this video.
edited out the URL link
Sounds like an eastern European accent in the video. I watched it and indeed the guy opened the lock with a tool that he showed. I removed the link here as it might be a security issue.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #665
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I was interested in this one for storing a house key. BUT watching the video from the first Amazon review turned me off:
Sounds like an eastern European accent in the video. I watched it and indeed the guy opened the lock with a tool that he showed. I removed the link here as it might be a security issue.
Holy crap . Thanks for the info. I need the size of thet key lock box as the one I was using is too small for my large car key.

I went ahead and watched that video. At least he didn't get the lock box opened on the first try.

I had been using a common lock made by Master Lock

Amazon.com: Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock, 1-Pack: Home Improvement

But a little searching on youtube, and see the Master Lock can be picked by the same method.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #666
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Someone who wants to rob us can just break the glass on the door or a nearby window and bingo, there they are.

We have a thermometer near our back door that slides up to reveal the key storage place. It was handy for our kids when they were teenagers, and our kids' friends and their friends

Re recent Amazon order, we are waiting new Fitbit Flex wristbands-- nothing wrong with the old ones, just different colors for DH and me--and a bathtub overflow drain stopper upper, due here today.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #667
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Someone who wants to rob us can just break the glass on the door or a nearby window and bingo, there they are...
I guess the moral of the story is to remember that security like padlocks and bicycle cables and even standard door locks act as a deterrent and isn't thief proof.

I know the strategy for bicycle locking is to make it secure enough so a bike thief moves on to the next bicycle .
Old 04-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #668

I didn't get my HP12C until I retirees from the Air Force. I wish I had learned to use one sooner! Of course it took a room the size of a house to do what it does, in 1966😀

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #669

I got tired of drinking too-warm red wine in the summer and forgetting to put the white in the fridge early enough in the day. Finally figured out that I had a perfect place for a small wine fridge in the dining room. So I ordered one last week:
http://www.amazon.com/Haier-18-Bottle-Curved-Smoked-Cellar/dp/B00DNSO41M

So far so good - the reds really are warmer than the whites and both are good drinking temps.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #670
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I got tired of drinking too-warm red wine in the summer and forgetting to put the white in the fridge early enough in the day. Finally figured out that I had a perfect place for a small wine fridge in the dining room. So I ordered one last week:

So far so good - the reds really are warmer than the whites and both are good drinking temps.
How much power does it draw? I didn;t see any specs at the site.

Those thermo-electric chillers are neat, no noisy compressor (still needs a fan), but not very energy efficient, compared to a compressor.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Warm red wine + ice cube if hot day.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #672
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Someone who wants to rob us can just break the glass on the door or a nearby window and bingo, there they are....
A robber doesn't even need to break the glass on the door.

Have you checked the quality of your locks recently?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
All the wet weather lately reminded me that I've always wanted Teva sandals. So, these are on their way to me from Amazon.
I love my new Teva sandals! They are very comfortable and I'll be wearing them even when it doesn't rain.

Like many, I just got a tax refund. Keep coming with your most recent purchase from Amazon to give us ideas!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #674
Give me a forum ...

I wanted some clothes hangers that are sturdy. These also have a design that lets one take off something like a knit item without stretching out the neck opening and also don't have those pointy shoulder edges:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
How much power does it draw? 100 watts / 1.4 amps I didn;t see any specs at the site.

Those thermo-electric chillers are neat, no noisy compressor (still needs a fan), but not very energy efficient, compared to a compressor.

-ERD50
Definitely quiet - I can barely hear it at all when I'm at my desk less than 25' away.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Just ordered a convection oven to replace the one that the halogen bulb burnt out.

This one doesn't use a halogen bulb, so hopefully, it will last longer.

I'm hooked on the no-rush shipments to get credits towards free movies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oven.jpg (177.0 KB, 11 views)
What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #677
Give me a forum ...

What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I just made my most pathetic order from Amazon today. Dropped my phone and broke screen (dumb phone). I looked to order a new one from Virgin and I didn't like any of them as they discontinued the old blackberry type keyboard. So I ordered two new cell phone batteries total cost of $10 for my phone I used 5 years ago stuffed in the drawer. My GF is not happy about me bringing that phone out of retirement and doesn't understand why I don't buy a smart phone. I never carry my readers with me so I could not read what is on the phone anyways so its a waste of money. Plus I like a phone I only have to charge twice a week. I am good for several more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:57 AM   #678

I've been experimenting with making chocolate for the past couple of years. Not fancy chocolates, but just basic milk chocolate and darker chocolates. I buy the cacao beans on trips I take to Sumatra. Growers dry it out on the ground in their front yards, and I just ask if I can buy a few kilos. I then take it home in my suitcase, roast it, seperate out the nibs by hand, and then grind with sugar (+- milk powder, lecithin). The one thing that has dampered my enthusiasm for chocolate-making has been the hours and hours spent hand grinding the chocolate with the flat stones I found here.

So last time I was in the US I ordered a Premier Wonder wet grinder from Amazon to do the chocolate grinding for me. The grinder is a metal can about a foot tall that is spun slowly, with a granite base and granite grinding stones inside. Ahhh, what a difference that makes!

scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post

We really enjoy having our wine in one. Although other than champagne we pretty much drink red, so one temp wne "cellar". Champagne stays in the regular fridge - one bottle at a time.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #680
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A gallon of sunflower seed oil.