Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back in April I posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't keep a key hidden outside any more because of my own alternate solution, a keypad entry. I purchased it from Amazon a year ago and love it.

The battery hardly seems to run down at all, and I replace it anyway every January. Also, Frank and I have each other's keys in case we need a backup. I haven't needed his help yet, luckily.
I loved having that keypad entry at my old house, but I have moved and no longer live there. Recently I ordered four more, and four matching doorknobs. After having them re-keyed to the same key, today I had all eight installed on the four exterior doors here at my dream house. This makes me very, very happy!

Also, as more of a necessity than a pleasure, I ordered this TP roller/holder since it was missing in one of the bathrooms at my dream house:

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #802
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
All the wet weather lately reminded me that I've always wanted Teva sandals. So, these are on their way to me from Amazon.
Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to buy a pair of Teva sandals this summer. Mine are different style and color and I bought them at a local store so I could try them on, but I really like them. I have worn them quite a bit this summer, including the trip to Disney World and they are very comfortable. So, thanks for sharing this!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #803
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to buy a pair of Teva sandals this summer. Mine are different style and color and I bought them at a local store so I could try them on, but I really like them. I have worn them quite a bit this summer, including the trip to Disney World and they are very comfortable. So, thanks for sharing this!
You're very welcome! From what I understand, they last nearly forever. I have worn mine nearly every day this summer too.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #804
Recycles dryer sheets

A replacement plastic lid for a Pyrex bowl. You really can get just about anything on Amazon!
SDHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #805
Full time employment: Posting here.

I received a discount code for an Amazon Fire, regularly $99, for $29. Couldn't pass it up even though I didn't need one. I'm playing with it now, but will likely stick with my iPad.

I recently broke my headphones, so my wife told me to order a new one that she saw on the Deals page, so I did. I expect to get the headphones on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #806
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a somewhat annoying bad news, good news, maybe bad news purchase from Amazon of late.

My old phone died, and I was looking for a new one. Amazon warehouse deals had a candidate phone (very good condition). Bought that and it died after two days. Shipped it back (for free) and found new phone on regular site.
Purchased that and one day before it showing up in mail I get a "not available, order cancelled" email. Apparently the seller had poor counting capabilities. Anyway, I wasn't happy.
After finally tracking down a customer support chat option (which is incredibly well buried on their site), I explained the situation to the rep (made sure to sound polite but annoyed--as much as one can during a chat session). Long story short, they waived the next day shipping and credited my account for the delta in price of the "new" phone.

Why "new"? It had a picture of somebody's foot in what looked like a tech shop of sorts. All accessories were sealed, and phone had the clear plastic label correctly attached. Battery had some not standard tape and box was slightly damaged.

We'll see if this thing survives longer than the earlier phone purchase. Working quite well for now. <knocks on wood>
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #807

New slippers for around the house on cold days or going out to the garage. DW was complaining that the old ones had deteriorated so much that I was leaving bits of plastic sole all over the house.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #808
Give me a forum ...

Swivel barstools for the kitchen peninsula (counter) at my Dream House:

Comfortable, easy to assemble, about the right height, but for some unknown reason they don't quite float my boat. I'll give them some time.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #809

Quote:
Swivel barstools for the kitchen peninsula (counter) at my Dream House:

Comfortable, easy to assemble, about the right height, but for some unknown reason they don't quite float my boat. I'll give them some time.
Very similar to the ones I recently bought for our new (to us) condo. I had a heck of a time assembling them (a couple of bolts were cross-threaded), but so far they're OK. I like your review -- they don't quite float my boat either. But since I paid even more than you did (from Overstock.com), they'll have to do for a while.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #810
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Very similar to the ones I recently bought for our new (to us) condo. I had a heck of a time assembling them (a couple of bolts were cross-threaded), but so far they're OK. I like your review -- they don't quite float my boat either. But since I paid even more than you did (from Overstock.com), they'll have to do for a while.
That's sort of what I'm thinking, too. At that price I don't want to replace them at this point. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. They seem a little awkward or something. Oh well. Can't bat 1000 every time.

Assembly on mine just meant putting together and using about 30-35 bolt/washer/spring_washer/nut assemblies.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #811
Moderator Emeritus

My sprinkler pump - got it 2 days after ordering it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #812
Give me a forum ...

The last two things I got from Amazon, a back up camera and mirror/monitor combo. Had them professionally installed yesterday. Still getting familiar, but can see sooooo much more from behind when backing up .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (87.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg camera.jpg (148.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #813

My last order from Amazon was a metal pizza peel. I had to get one because Home Depot had a $400 propane pizza oven on clearance for $100.02, an impulse buy.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #814

I ordered an LED reading lamp, a water filter for my refridgerator, and a mandolin for chopping vegetables.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #815

I got a kayak trolly. It has 2 wheels and straps to the back of the boat so you can lift the front and walk.
I had to park FAR from a lake I wanted to explore and carried the kayak on my shoulder there and back. Got a bruise on my shoulder and was in pain - I've got a pretty large kayak. This will make getting to the water and back so much easier!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #816

I should mention that the trolly is small enough to strap to the front of the kayak and get to paddling. No having to walk back to the vehicle and drop it off....that would have been a deal killer!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #817

This device does two things. USB cables have two channels, one for power and one for data. With this device plugged between the power source and your device it blocks the data transfer, and prevents juice jacking.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Prime Service w/o a Prime Membership?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #818
Give me a forum ...

Prime Service w/o a Prime Membership?

I ordered some misc stuff on Aug 7th, ~ 11AM. A mix of small items,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

... the USB charger is on back-order, but I got a notice the other items would arrive Aug 9th, which is a Sunday. So that's two day shipping, deleivery on Sunday, and I'm not a Prime member. What's up?

I wonder if the USPS was already making Prime deliveries to my route, so just throw mine in along with the rest?

BTW, I ordered one of the Amazon Basics Lightening cables for DW's iPad earlier, and it seems to be lasting longer than others I have bought. Though I did add some shrink tubing to the iPad side. So many cables allow the wire to bend too much right at the connector, they need a little more material there so the cable bend is spread out over a few inches in a gentle arc, rather than the sharp bend you get right at the connector nub.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #819

I ordered additional memory for my new 12 year old linux computer!- 2 512 MB modules total $11. I expect it to really burn rubber after I install them...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #820
Recycles dryer sheets

Malden Sea Salt and packing supplies - bubble wrap and packing paper - to start packing for my eventual move. LOVE Amazon Prime!
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote