Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #1001
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not want to spend $400 on a GoPro, so after some research I got this. Video reviews show the GoPro a little better but for the price $89, I think this should work for an underwater camera. There are even knock offs of the knock off for under $50!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #1002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link.

Bought the grandson a GoPro for Christmas, but this probably would have done the trick.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #1003

Last purchase:

FRYE Women's Melissa Button Boot
Old 01-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #1004
Moderator Emeritus

Today:

Greenies:

Amazon.com : GREENIES Dental Chews TEENIE Treats for Dogs - Value Tub 36 oz. 130 Count : Pet Snack Treats : Pet Supplies

Batteries:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics AA Performance Alkaline Batteries (20-Pack): Health & Personal Care

Coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco-...+coffee+k+cups
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #1005
Give me a forum ...

Savoie's Old Fashioned Dark Roux - 16 oz.

heh heh heh - I have tryed over the years but usually past peanut butter color I lose it before getting a truly dark roux.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #1006

SOLD my old iPad to Amazon and got a much better price than Gazzelle or Apple would have given me.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #1007
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

heh heh heh - I have tryed over the years but usually past peanut butter color I lose it before getting a truly dark roux.

Heck I have a hard time just getting to peanut butter! Might have to check that stuff out! Thanks!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #1008
Recycles dryer sheets

Poo-pourri. My God, I love that stuff.
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #1009
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Heck I have a hard time just getting to peanut butter! Might have to check that stuff out! Thanks!
I need to try that stuff. Even getting a very light roux takes some time, and us northerners aren't very practiced in the art! Getting into the darker ones is risky - easy to get burn't/bitter.

Would this lighter version be more appropriate for northerner tastes? I do make a red beans and rice with andiouille occasionally (not often enough - DW isn't a fan)

http://www.amazon.com/Karys-Roux-oun...MXR87FAW68RBR7

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Savoies-Light-...d+fashion+roux

PS/PSA: Could people please include a link to the products they mention?! It would be very helpful - thanks!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #1010
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I need to try that stuff. Even getting a very light roux takes some time, and us northerners aren't very practiced in the art! Getting into the darker ones is risky - easy to get burn't/bitter.

Would this lighter version be more appropriate for northerner tastes? I do make a red beans and rice with andiouille occasionally (not often enough - DW isn't a fan)

http://www.amazon.com/Karys-Roux-oun...MXR87FAW68RBR7

or this:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Savoies-Light-Roux-16-0z/dp/B007GQGAYQ/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1453139136&sr= 1-2-spell&keywords=savoies+old+fashion+roux[/url

PS/PSA: Could people please include a link to the products they mention?! It would be very helpful - thanks!

-ERD50
Never tried the lighter versions because I have worked up enough patience over the years to get to the peanut butter shade. I do order from Amazon due to my Visa points are Amazon.

heh heh heh -

P.S. My Wife(Missouri farm girl) prefers I skip roux in my Jambalaya, ettoufee, and red beans so I sometimes will make two smaller versions.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #1011

We ordered good Walkie Talkies for our grandson's birthday. They have a ranch and he wants to use them outside.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 PM   #1012
Moderator Emeritus

1) AA batteries for a few battery powered motion activated nightlights. The batteries in them lasted about 6 months so it's time for more.

2) translucent window film for the windows on the street side of my house, for a little more privacy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #1013
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just went on a shopping spree. A late Christmas for myself. My laptop is old, and overheating. I'm mostly using it for just online work and playing around, not really any gaming or using many programs. So I decided to pick up a Chromebook for half the price of a decent laptop to see if it's worth the simplicity. I could have gotten an 11" one for $100 less, but I know I'd be straining at the small screen for the work I need to get done.

Acer Chromebook 15

I also am tired of using a plastic spatula for my cast iron pots, so I was looking at metal fish flippers. I found one for $21, but Winco isn't a terrible brand, so I think this cheaper $5 might work. And if not, I'll return it for poor performance and get the more expensive one. I also like that this cheaper one has a wood handle.

Winco Stainless Steel 6.5" Fish Spatula

The trackpads on laptops aren't that great for me, so I picked up a mouse I'm hoping to save for my future gaming PC build. The shifting LED colors it's supposed to have seem pretty cool, and it has good enough reviews that $15 beats the $60+ of other gaming mice.

Redragon M602 NEMEANLION 3000 DPI USB Gaming Mouse for PC, 7 Buttons, 7 Color LED Backlighting

And a stylish mousepad to go with it. I thought about getting a hard metal one, but this will curve over the arm of the couch if I'm feeling lazy and want to use the laptop there.

Redragon gaming mousepad

I got this laser temperature gun because it's a cool tool and there's no such thing as having enough cool tools. Hard to beat the price with it on sale right now too.

Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Digital Laser IR Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun

And finally, since it's cold and we're making a lot of soups in bulk because it's more economical that way, we needed a place to put all the leftovers. So this 24 pack of 32-ounce food safe deli containers that are freezer safe should do perfect.

Reditainer Extreme Freeze Deli Food Containers with Lids, 32-Ounce, 24-Pack
Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #1014
Recycles dryer sheets

For those Prime members that use them, Superfeet insoles are currently included in Amazon's 15% discount on athletic shoes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #1015

One of those ultra-light micro fiber towels. I got the extra small but I'm a little miffed that it weighs more than advertised (spec is 1.3oz but weighs 1.4oz). Will use this to either cover my camera or clean it off when hit by rain/spray.

Robot Check
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #1016
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
For those Prime members that use them, Superfeet insoles are currently included in Amazon's 15% discount on athletic shoes. Robot Check
Dang, I had no idea it was possible to spend $50 for insoles. I don't spend that much on the shoes!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #1017
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Swivel barstools for the kitchen peninsula (counter) at my Dream House:

Comfortable, easy to assemble, about the right height, but for some unknown reason they don't quite float my boat. I'll give them some time.
Time has passed, and I hated that swivel barstool more and more as time went by. (I don't know why I used the plural in my post above, because luckily I only bought one.) My swivel barstool not only didn't float my boat, it became as annoying as a pebble in my shoe or a thorn in my sock, and was the source of considerable grumbling under my breath.

So, last week I got what for me is a *MUCH* better barstool. It's cheap, extremely sturdy, just the right height, comfortable, not terribly heavy, and doesn't take much room. This one I really like! It doesn't look comfortable but it really is, and in every desirable quality it is just right. So, I ordered another yesterday and might order a third one later on.

I guess this is one case in which the cheaper option actually is better. THIS one floats my boat. It requires felt adhesive pads to protect my hardwood floor, but they didn't cost much either.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #1018
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Fuzzy slippers and wool socks.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #1019
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... It's cheap, extremely sturdy, just the right height, comfortable, not terribly heavy, and doesn't take much room. This one I really like! It doesn't look comfortable but it really is, and in every desirable quality it is just right. So, I ordered another yesterday and might order a third one later on.

I guess this is one case in which the cheaper option actually is better. THIS one floats my boat. It requires felt adhesive pads to protect my hardwood floor, but they didn't cost much either.
We have two of those in our kitchen and love them--they completely fit under the counter overhang when not in use, and are very comfortable. I like the simple design, too.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #1020

Quote:
So, last week I got what for me is a *MUCH* better barstool.
That's pretty funny. I had the same experience with a very similar barstool to yours, and I got rid of mine, too (3 of 'em).

Then I replaced them with the same kind you did, and am much happier with them. $10 each at Wally World.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote