Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #1281
Moderator Emeritus

My Fitbit clip is falling apart after all these years, so I ordered another.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #1282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a trackball? I use a Logitech wireless trackball and really like it. It stays still and you "thumb the ball" to move the cursor. Also has R&L clickers and a scroll wheel.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #1283
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
How about a trackball? I use a Logitech wireless trackball and really like it. It stays still and you "thumb the ball" to move the cursor. Also has R&L clickers and a scroll wheel.
Because I can buy four of my favorite computer mouses (mice?), enough to last me for close to 4 years, for the cost of one trackball which I have used before and didn't like? I am glad you found something you like to use.

Folks, there is no problem here to try to solve for me. The perfect answer is simple, cheap, and I already posted about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ever know a truly, extremely clumsy person? If not, then now you do know one, and that would be me.

I don't know why, but honestly I drop my computer mouse at least six times a day. I try not to but it flies out of my hand anyway and hurtles towards the floor. I think computer mice have minds of their own and are doggedly determined to engage in wild and crazy rough-and-tumble independent suicidal flight. Because of these insane mental issues apparently shared by all of them, I use a wired mouse so that I can retrieve it without having to peer under furniture and fish it out 6+ times a day.

Anyway, the four things I love about this Amazon Basics USB wired 3-button computer mouse are that:
1) it's wired
2) it's unbelievably sturdy and will last for almost a year under this type of mouse-abuse
3) it's a mouse. It's comfortably shaped and the buttons are predictable, and
4) it's cheap!

So, I ordered another one. $6.99 including Prime shipping, covered by my e-book settlement refund.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #1284
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've avoided this thread, but WTH.

The past 10 days: 2 Needle and Tuft queen memory foam mattresses; a traditional looking iron/bronze Q bed frame; a wood platform that serves as a cheaper box spring substitute; some books; some kindle books; 3 Q mattress pad/covers; 5 pounds wasabi peas; DW running socks....

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Not an unusual amount of orders, but unusual size (both physical and monetary!)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #1285
Give me a forum ...

What are your thoughts on "Prime Day" this time around? As I understand, it was pretty much a bust last year, so I assumed today would have been quite a bit better.

Now, granted, I have only looked at the "deals" a couple of times today, but overall, I give it an overwhelming...MEH. Perhaps it's geared towards the consumer who will buy anything if it appears to be a good deal, but I haven't seen a single item worth having and the discounts don't look very good anyway.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #1286

I don't recall because I never use Amazon. Too expensive. I ordered cat food from Chewy.com most recently. Much cheaper than Amazon or the discount pet food place and they do not charge sales tax. Free shipping over $49. Google Express has some potential here in Silly Valley, but the assortment is not good enough to justify a monthly fee.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #1287
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just bought another Fire TV to hook up to my bedroom TV. 30% off (regularly $99 but got it for $69). Plan on cutting the cable soon, so II was going to get one anyway.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #1288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I don't recall because I never use Amazon. Too expensive. I ordered cat food from Chewy.com most recently. Much cheaper than Amazon or the discount pet food place and they do not charge sales tax. Free shipping over $49. Google Express has some potential here in Silly Valley, but the assortment is not good enough to justify a monthly fee.
Seems odd that you would visit the "Amazon" thread if you don't shop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Just bought another Fire TV to hook up to my bedroom TV. 30% off (regularly $99 but got it for $69). Plan on cutting the cable soon, so II was going to get one anyway.

I also thought about another Fire Stick, but I have one Fire TV box and 3 sticks (one not currently used) and Alexa, so buyer yet another one seemed a bit silly.

We cut the cord about 3 weeks ago. I wish we had done it sooner!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #1289
Moderator Emeritus

I bought some GU energy gels, but they were the same price today (prime day) as they were a month ago.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #1290
Moderator Emeritus

I got an e-mail saying (I think?) that if I ordered over $150 worth of stuff today, I'd get $30 off. But I don't need that many things.

I did order some new drinking glasses a few days ago since I have been drinking a lot of water. It has been such a hot summer. They look smaller than I had hoped, but I measured and they really do hold 15.5 oz as advertised.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #1291
Give me a forum ...

https://www.amazon.com/KAKA-Backpack.../dp/B01BY06BN4

my old one is old
Old 07-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #1292
Give me a forum ...

I order a lot of stuff on Amazon, both business and personal. But I order what I want when I want it. Sifting through the Prime Day sales listings would be extremely similar to visiting stores to find out what's on sale. And that's pretty close to a description of hell to me. So I paid no attention, and for that matter didn't even realize it was today until I saw this thread. So, nothing.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #1293

I admit - I tried. I'm with Harley. It was a child's game. Such and such will be on sale at 11:00 (who know what zone). Then it's like those comedy routines where the moms fight to get at the limited supply before it's gone. At least that's what it looked like when given a glance early this morning.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #1294

An Amish wood rocking chair for my front deck.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #1295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I admit - I tried. I'm with Harley. It was a child's game. Such and such will be on sale at 11:00 (who know what zone). Then it's like those comedy routines where the moms fight to get at the limited supply before it's gone. At least that's what it looked like when given a glance early this morning.
I glanced at my Amazon wish list but didn't see any of the items discounted any more for the prime sale. Then I poked around and saw some items like data storage and a Fire Tablet on sale but know I really don't need either, so just resumed and patted myself on the back by not spending anything on Amazon Prime day .
Old 07-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #1296

I purchased an Echo today. I had decided to get one a couple of weeks ago, but waited until today because I suspected there would be a deal. Yep, $50 off. Then later in the day I noticed a Lightning Deal on a Silhouette Cameo (craft cutter for paper, vinyl, and fabric). That has been on my wish list, and for $50 off I took the plunge.

Then I spent $100 on gifts for my girls. They each are setting up a household (shacking up with the boyfriends, so no "shower" to help). This morning when I asked if there was anything in particular that I should look for, they each mentioned kitchen stuff. So I spent my savings on things for them. Funny how that works.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I've been eyeing the Fire TV all day at $69, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been Prime for several years, mainly for 2-day shipping. We have 2 "smart" TVs, but the Amazon apps are abysmal... nothing even close to Netflix, and basically unusable. So we never use the video or music services that are included with Prime. At $69, it might be worth a try.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #1298
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I've been eyeing the Fire TV all day at $69, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
FWIW I won a Fire TV as a door prize a few months ago but sadly couldn't use it because of our slug-slow internet speeds. I gave it to my BIL, a big Prime user, who likes it much better than the Roku it replaced.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #1299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I don't recall because I never use Amazon..........
I was one of the first people to not use Amazon.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #1300
Give me a forum ...

A case of Picholine olives.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote