Join Early Retirement Today

What is the Name of This Bike Part?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is the Name of This Bike Part?

What is the name of this bike part? It is the part that screws next to the brake lever and adjusts the brake cable?

Funny thing is I ordered one sometime back but can't recall what it is called and don't see a purchase in my Amazon or ebay purchase histories.

Thanks.

p.s. See photos of part itself and also connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike part.jpg (129.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg bike part 2.jpg (90.3 KB, 54 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

looks like a cable barrel adjuster.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Never mind. Found answer. Brake cable barrel adjuster .
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
looks like a cable barrel adjuster.
Thanks. You beat me to the answer .
Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Barrel Cable Adjuster
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Barrel Cable Adjuster

Thanks. Don't what what size I have and what size fits my bicycle. The originals broke from over tightening. The ones I have now, I can barely turn by finger tightening. I have a folding Dahon bicycle.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Any bike shop should have a bin and be able to find you one that fits. Worst comes to worst, brake lever are $5-10 brand new and only take a few minutes to fit assuming the grips come off fairly easily.
orangehairfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
Any bike shop should have a bin and be able to find you one that fits. Worst comes to worst, brake lever are $5-10 brand new and only take a few minutes to fit assuming the grips come off fairly easily.
I got the brake cables set up now with the proper tension. But with the barrel adjusters, I can't turn them with my fingers. Either I have really weak fingers or maybe a size is off.

Good tip about bike shop.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #9

Dumb question, but have loosened the lock nut before trying to turn the barrel?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Dumb question, but have loosened the lock nut before trying to turn the barrel?
Yes, I have. The lock nut loosens easily. But the barrel doesn't turn by finger. That's how I've messed the barrel up in the past. Brake cables are fine but then eventually get loose so I end up using pliers to adjust the barrels and that messes them up.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Get the right sized tap, lube it up good, and use it to carefully clean the female threads on the fitting that the barrel screws into. Particularly if both are aluminum, galling and corrosion can make your life miserable.

Depending on the female threads, you may need both a plug tap and a bottoming tap. You can buy bottoming taps but most of us just grind the tapered end off a plug tap. Be careful not to overheat when grinding.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, think I got too large a barrel adjuster. Looking at the picture on my original post, see how the barrel covers part of the cable housing? Don't think the barrel is supposed to do that.

Oh well, not going to worry about too much since as of this moment, the cable tension is fine. But next time around when they get loose, will fight the war then .
Old 05-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe try squeezing the top of the caliper while adjusting barrel. This puts the pads against the wheel and should put slack in the cable. That would relieve the spring tension you're working against.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thanks. You beat me to the answer .
us West coasters never had a chance
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Maybe try squeezing the top of the caliper while adjusting barrel. This puts the pads against the wheel and should put slack in the cable. That would relieve the spring tension you're working against.
Yes, from I've seen videos of setting the brakes by having the pads touching the rim. Then fine tune by adjusting the barrel. But when I try, the barrel really doesn't turn so I must be missing something.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Yes, from I've seen videos of setting the brakes by having the pads touching the rim. Then fine tune by adjusting the barrel. But when I try, the barrel really doesn't turn so I must be missing something.
I don't believe you're missing anything. Those aluminum threads get stretched and fussy to work with over time.
One of my bikes is an older hybrid with likely a similar set up. I've gotten to where I don't even mess with the barrel adjusters on that bike. I just loosen the cable pinch bolt (down at the caliper), squeeze the pads in until they're almost touching the rim, then tighten the pinch bolt. Inserting a business cared (or similar) between the pads and rim when you do it this way will get you pretty close. It may take a couple of tries to get the amount of pull feeling just right.

Edit to add a quick question: If you loosen the pinch bolt at the caliper (so that the brake cable goes completely slack), does the barrel adjuster turn more freely?

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #17

Another dumb question, you turning it the correct way? Looks like "Lefty loosey, righty tighty" to me.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #18

That is a barrel adjuster for a retired person's bike.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I don't believe you're missing anything. Those aluminum threads get stretched and fussy to work with over time.
One of my bikes is an older hybrid with likely a similar set up. I've gotten to where I don't even mess with the barrel adjusters on that bike. I just loosen the cable pinch bolt (down at the caliper), squeeze the pads in until they're almost touching the rim, then tighten the pinch bolt. Inserting a business cared (or similar) between the pads and rim when you do it this way will get you pretty close. It may take a couple of tries to get the amount of pull feeling just right.

Edit to add a quick question: If you loosen the pinch bolt at the caliper (so that the brake cable goes completely slack), does the barrel adjuster turn more freely?
That's what I end up doing. End up not fussing with the barrel adjusters (since I can't properly turn them) and just adjust positioning the pinch bolt and squeezing the pads like you mentioned.

I haven't tried seeing if the barrel adjuster turns more freely when pinch bolt loosened.

My plan A is to use my set up (brake cables are set to proper tension at the moment) until they become loose. Then at that point, go with plan B is to see if I have any better luck with an in-line set up.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Another dumb question, you turning it the correct way? Looks like "Lefty loosey, righty tighty" to me.
Trying to turn the correct way. The issue is getting to turn without having to force using pliers.