What is the Word for This?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is there a word that describes the desk or counter that senators sit behind during a hearing?

uRS8oUW.jpg

Thanks,

Al

Okay, I guess that's it, although I thought that referred to the platform, rather than the big long desk thingie.

I like "big long desk thingy" but I would make it "big semi circle desk thingy"

I don't think it is called a dais. The dais is the front platform.
I just spent a few minutes googling it--"senators semi circle seating," etc. Lots of sites describing the chamber but no name given to the senators' seating place.
So "semi circle desk thingy" works just fine.

The dais is the platform. The semicircular desk might perhaps be called a bench. Certainly, that is what it would be if it were in a courtroom.

I found dais and rostrum both used in reference to where committee members sit at state and federal Congressional hearings, but they are the raised platforms - not the furniture. Google Dirksen Senate Office Building, where many committee hearings are held, and you can see those words used for yourself. Members 'speak from the rostrum/dais' but I gather the furniture on the dais or platform (what the OP is asking?), are just considered desks, a bench, tables or the like. http://history.house.gov/Exhibitions-and-Publications/House-Chamber/Rostrum/

I'd use (semi-circular) rostrum desk or rostrum bench...should be clear to readers?

Last edited:
I haven't found anything better than "(curved) council chamber desk". Dais and rostrum refer to raised platforms.

I'd call it the blowhards rostrum.

Rostrum was the place where Roman public speakers spoke from, alternatively a raised platform atop a stage.

Damn Al! If it is that obscure, make up your own. Like the elected member arose from behind his protective desk to contribute to the discourse.

If he does not have to rise, then say he chose to lob another potshot into the discourse from behind his high class duck blind.

It's a tough one. For now, I'm leaving it at: " In front of me, senators took their seats behind the semicircular rostrum desk," which totally does not work.

Sometimes brevity works:

"In front of me, the senators took their seats."

or get flowery with alliteration.... ", forming an arc of accusation"

-ERD50

It's a tough one. For now, I'm leaving it at: " In front of me, senators took their seats behind the semicircular rostrum desk," which totally does not work.

"took their seats on the dais. I felt nearly surrounded as my eyes swept the arc of faces."

"took their seats on the dais. I felt nearly surrounded as my eyes swept the arc of faces."

Or...to internationalize: "Triumphantly they took their seats on the dais. I felt nearly surrounded as my eyes swept the Arc." :)

to steal, somewhat from Stevie Miller, how about "the 'pompetus' (of drivel)"...
yes, the more I consider it, the more I'm sure this piece of furniture is a "pompetus"...

Another thought. Although I still like on (not behind) the dais, it occurred to me that except for the semicircular shape it's reminiscent of where the judge sits in a courtroom. So you could say they took their seats at the bench.

Bench is good, but I can't help picturing something like this:

Roman-men-on-a-bench.jpg

I guess it's because I first learned the word "dais" in reference to a wedding, I always think of this:

img_1678215_1_14f8dfb758d653ce48da789883c0587a.jpg

The dictionary definition of a dais is a raised platform used for honoured guests (eg. wedding) speakers (lectures), judges, etc.

I think dais may be appropriate, but not being common in usage it might lack a quick visual interpretation for readers. Rostrum might be more common and is fact listed as a synonym for dais.

Intrigued by this I did some searching and found Committee Hearing Rooms | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives Note the caption "The original carved dais, chandelier and elaborate draperies of Cannon committee hearing rooms were in use when the Armed Services Committee was photographed in Cannon 311 in 1949."

Attachments

• dais.png
    dais.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 30
I would definitely not call it a desk. The word desk implies that some work is actually being done.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom