Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Butterfingers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

As I learn more about where our foods are sourced and made, I am eliminating lots of different foods from my diet. I won't bore you with the details. But to keep my wife happy, we do have Friday night Pizza and Sunday morning bagels. Plus some beer and wine during the week.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I eat too much, I drink too much, but it usually makes me happy. I don't eat toooo much junk food, but the only thing I eat that gives me nothing, is Red Twizzlers - no flavor and nothing but sugar, but I'll eat a whole bag if you put it in front of me.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess wine would be my weakness, but everything in moderation, even moderation.

Also, I just found out yesterday that I am killing myself with my homemade bacon, sausage and hams according to WHO. I don't see what the big deal is; I know what my beef and hogs eat, I don't use artificial ingredients and they're not slopped. Sodium nitrate is used as a curing salt, and it is a anti-bacterial agent and it is used sparingly.

If you weren't supposed to eat poultry,beef,pork or fish, they wouldn't be filled with meat.

If and when I'm laying in the ICU with tubes sticking out of me, I will always say it wasn't the tofu that was responsible, unless I was choking on it.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't worry about it, Winemaker.

The WHO says eating those 50 grams of bacon increases your risk of bowel cancer by 18%. But that's relative risk. As I read it, the actual numbers are that the risk rises from about 6% to about 7%. Hardly worth giving up my beloved bacon!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #46

I give myself what I call a monthly Day of Dietary Decadence. I'm not sure which is worse, the ice cream or the pepperoni and jalepeno cheddar cheese stack that I like. I haven't eaten pepperoni for a bit over a year but I think next trip to the grocery I'm going to get a half pound of that big one in the deli window.

Oh, and chocolate. Chocolate has a very short half-life in this house. I have that five-pound Hershey bar on the Amazon wish list and this winter I'm going to order one.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Cinnamon rolls with butter. I rarely eat them, but OMG.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #48

I'm confused. The thread title is "worst foods", yet all the examples so far are best foods - tasty and delicious. Potato chips, pork rinds, chocolate, ice cream, pizza, etc. I'll add cheese, sausage, pigs knuckle, sour pickles, and pie. Yum.

For me the worst foods are those gawdawful wheatgrass juices, veggie soy-burgers, spelt pies with carob, protein shakes with flaxseed oil. Many others, these are just a few examples. Nothing can be done to make them taste good.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm confused. The thread title is "worst foods", yet all the examples so far are best foods - tasty and delicious. Potato chips, pork rinds, chocolate, ice cream, pizza, etc. I'll add cheese, sausage, pigs knuckle, sour pickles, and pie. Yum.

For me the worst foods are those gawdawful wheatgrass juices, veggie soy-burgers, spelt pies with carob, protein shakes with flaxseed oil. Many others, these are just a few examples.
A guy I worked with had had a heart attack and his cardiologist's instructions were "If it tastes good, spit it out".

I guess that was to steer him clear of the four main food groups when I was in my early 20's: sugar, salt, fat and alcohol.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #50
Administrator

Another Cheetos fan here (and HoHo's and Baby Ruth bars) but hands down the worst guilty pleasure is Bugles - each one filled with cream cheese and chopped olives, or as a close second, Easy-Cheeze (cheese like food in a squirt can). I haven't had these in a few years but the temptation is powerful...
Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Only free range, grass fed, organic road kill.
Yard birds are very difficult to find. Even the free range chicken in most fine groceries and meat markets have never seen any barn yard.

What I find funny is that many cities don't have regulations regarding raising chickens inside the city. In Atlanta's most exclusive Buckhead neighborhood, chicken huts in backyards are the latest thing. Housewives are raising pure bred show chickens for the eggs and neighbors are waking up to crowing roosters.

Hey, that's an answer for free range chickens--grow your own.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Girl scout cookies especially the samoas after they have been chilled in the freezer !
Old 10-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #53

Bacon, egg & cheese on a butter toasted hard roll once a week on Sat morning. The other would be a cheeseburger every two weeks or so.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
the four main food groups when I was in my early 20's: sugar, salt, fat and alcohol.
Replace salt with caffeine and you get the common opinion (at least where I grew up) that Irish Coffee is the perfect food, since it contains all four.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #55

At least the jury is still out on some items once considered bad: coffee, red meat and meats in general, full fat milk and cream, liberal use of eggs, butter, bacon. The Paleo approach emphasizes most of these. Once I went back to eating "full fat" versions of such things as milk and yogurt I never looked back--and I also did not gain weight and felt far more satisfied that my many, many years of "low fat" diets.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #56

Hah! No more than a few minutes after I posted the above, news report that bacon is now deemed as bad as smoking. Didn't we hear a couple years back that eggs are as bad as smoking too? Sheesh.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I'd have to say ice cream. I have met a few people who don't like chocolate, and I myself do not care for bacon, but I've never met anyone who didn't like ice cream.

I used to eat a lot of chocolate candy, but gave it up for the sake of my precarious (and carious) dental health. Interestingly, when I gave up sweets, I promptly dropped about 6 pounds.

Gave up diet soda a while back, because of its harmfulness to teeth. I did have two sodas this week (one at a football game, one at a movie) and they tasted so good after not having any for so long.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I have been on such a strict diet that I haven't had any junk food at all for several months - not even dark chocolate.

Adding sugar to my very occasional coffee is the only thing I can think of.

I actually don't miss most of it.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I don't eat any worst foods. If they are bad I don't eat them. Brussel sprouts, even with the fancy new restaurant recipes, are high on that list. My wife hates it when I eat those little 6 in octopi in hot sauce at the local Chinese/Japanese buffet, but only because they look so cute. I don't eat most of the foods mentioned on this thread (pork rinds, ding dongs or whatever) but only because they don't do anything for me. I do eat a fair amount of ice cream on occasion, and drink some pretty nice whiskies (not usually at the same time). I'm type 2, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to enjoy life just to gain some theoretical extra old age, which I'm not looking that forward to anyway. I like food and I like fun. I've got DW covered financially if I kick off, so my job is done.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #60

Need I say.

PICT0045.jpg