Join Early Retirement Today

What is this?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is this?

IMG_0423.JPG

Any ideas? Found in a bucket of buttons my mother left.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

It looks like a thing you put on the end of corn on the cob to hold it while eating, so your hands don't get messy. You would put one on each end. It sticks into the end. Not sure but that's what it appears to be.
workburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
It looks like a thing you put on the end of corn on the cob to hold it while eating, so your hands don't get messy. You would put one on each end. It sticks into the end. Not sure but that's what it appears to be.
I don't think so. There's a tiny hole at the end of it, like something you would put thread through. My mom used to sew a lot. I suspect it has something to do with the sewing machine or sewing in general.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 07-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Noting the hole in the end of the rod and where you found it could it be used to attach buttons to a loose weave, like a sweater? Guess you would have to have a second thread for inside the sweater to go through the loop of thread pushed through.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
Nah, those have multiple spikes to keep your corn from spinning. This one looks like it let's your corn spin for buttering, if it's for corn.

What's inside the middle, electronic? Or hollow though to the cross hole in the metal tip? I would agree it's something for sewing..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Nah, those have multiple spikes to keep your corn from spinning. This one looks like it let's your corn spin for buttering, if it's for corn.

What's inside the middle, electronic? Or hollow though to the cross hole in the metal tip?
Hollow.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Hollow.
Probably to run thread through it. I asked DW, she sewed many years ago and she didn't recognize it. Perhaps since it was in with buttons it's to help attach them?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

It's interesting that there's a knurled edge on the green portion...almost like it is there to help you turn this object.

The blunt hollow needle with a hole in the end of it vaguely rings a bell in the depth of my memory...but I can't recall what the object was.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #9

My daughter posted it on Facebook and someone said it's an air needle for pumping up a basketball. In looking at pictures that could be correct, but none of the ones I saw had the plastic collar, so maybe not.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My daughter posted it on Facebook and someone said it's an air needle for pumping up a basketball. In looking at pictures that could be correct, but none of the ones I saw had the plastic collar, so maybe not.
Are there threads(like a little screw) on the inside of the area by the top of the green bit? I don't see how it attracted to the pump but I'm probably missing it.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My best guess, it looks like a green thingamajig with a hole in it. Or, in other words, heck if I know.

But it's probably part of an air pump.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Are there threads(like a little screw) on the inside of the area by the top of the green bit? I don't see how it attracted to the pump but I'm probably missing it.
Yes, it's threaded inside.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #13

My son-in-law says it’s threaded in reverse of what would attach to a pump [emoji848]
Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Embroidery stitching tool?
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My son-in-law says it’s threaded in reverse of what would attach to a pump [emoji848]
Yeah something is not quite right. However there maybe an adapter missing?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
Embroidery stitching tool?
I haven't done embroidery for over 50 years and then it was done with a needle. But, like I say, it's been over 50 years, so maybe, but I wouldn't know how.

Quote:
Yeah something is not quite right. However there maybe an adapter missing?
Don't know. If I had a clue what it was I might be able to come up with idea of an adapter.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #17

These look similar -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PC...853738273.html
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Looks like the same thing to me (but maybe a newer model). Part of an air pump....
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I agree... looks like a needle valve that you screw on the end of an air pump with a male fitting at the end.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post

I think that's it.

Thanks so much everyone.