Join Early Retirement Today

What is this *#&*# key for?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is this *#&*# key for?

I only have six keys on my key ring. I was looking at it today and realized I only know what five of the keys are for. I have been trying to figure out what the sixth key is for and it is driving me crazy! Two of the keys are for my cars, one is for my house, one is for my office, and I have one that is to my brothers house.

What is this other #*(*@&^ key for?

So do you know what all the keys on your key chain go to? Or do you have a mystery key like me? Now you can drive yourself crazy too and not leave me here in my misery
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

At work and at home I had / have a special drawer dedicated as the tomb of the unknown key. It was a joy turning that key over to my successor. I would remove that key from the keychain.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What Cuppajoe said. Why carry it? BUT! Throw it out and I guarantee that in a week you will need it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry - - I know what all the keys on my keyring are for.

There was a "mystery key" that came with my house when I bought it, but I never put it on my keyring. I never threw it away, though, just in case I discovered a "mystery lock" to go with the "mystery key".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

There was a "mystery key" that came with my house when I bought it, but I never put it on my keyring. I never threw it away, though, just in case I discovered a "mystery lock" to go with the "mystery key".

LOL... I have the same at my new house... maybe we have the same 'mystery lock'...

But no extra keys on the key ring... I have a separate keyring for work and the cars/house. My car only has two.. one for the car, one for the house..

PS... you are not supposed to have a lot of keys on a keyring for the car... the extra weight wear away the car 'lock' over time and you can have a problem... at a lot of costs...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I carry one car key. My car has master keys and maybe a dozen others, none marked with full addresses. A box holds individual location keys and storage/laundry machine keys. A wall in the house has ranks of keys. I hate keys. I carry one car key. We use the Alaska homesteader rule on locking the house.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of year ago while cleaning out the workroom, I ran into my old high school gym locker combination lock, dating back into the 1960s.

Though it was 40 years or so later, I immediately recalled the combination and opened the lock. Just don't ask me where I left my glasses this morning.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I have mystery keys that I'm afraid to throw away - but only a few on my key ring (house, office etc.) and I know what they do.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Each vehicle key ring has one house key. Keeps things simple.

By the way, did you know that your importance is inversely proportional to the number of keys you carry? The President has no need for keys, someone is always there to open doors for him.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

By the way, did you know that your importance is inversely proportional to the number of keys you carry? ....
Oh, yeah. having no work keys means I'm my own boss.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I know what the keys are for on my keychain. But I don't carry all of my keys. There are some put away in my safe which are for "someday I'll figure (remember) what they are for".

As for a couple of combination locks, I stored the combinations in my password keeper software. One combo, I still remember, the other, I've totally forgotten.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Each vehicle key ring has one house key. Keeps things simple.

By the way, did you know that your importance is inversely proportional to the number of keys you carry? The President has no need for keys, someone is always there to open doors for him.
Things have definitely changed. Back when I was in college (68-72) the college guys' importance was proportional to the number of keys.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Things have definitely changed. Back when I was in college (68-72) the college guys' importance was proportional to the number of keys.
Guess they did not know the secret of the GM key. At last empl*yer having applied some official and social engineering skills, had a GM key. God for any division any door. GM= Grand Master. Duly turned in on day of departure. The boss did not know what it was, just threw it in his desk along with a bunch others. I did not tell. Got the receipt for ID, and key.

Thus only carried three keys, auto, home and GM. Some guys' keyrings weighed about 5 lb.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have three keys on my keychain: car, house, and key that operates the thingy, which covers up the truck bed.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I only have 1 key ring. It has 7 keys on it. I don't know what 2 of them are for but I don't dare get rid of them because then I will, no doubt, need them.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
OK: I looked.
Car key (ignition & trunk)
2 house keys (1 for 1 lock, 1 for 8 others
Multi-tool attachment ( ThinkGeek :: Utili-Key 6-in-1 Tool )
3 actual key rings
Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe that mystery key is the key to my heart---just kiiddding. When I was working in the retail liquor business, I managed 5 of 7 stores, and had safe keys for each store (all 7), door keys for all seven stores, various padlock keys, car keys, etc., etc.---my key chain weighed about 3 pounds, and people would say you'll ruin your ignition on your vehicle, but it never happened.
Was so glad to retire (quit) and stop carrying around all those keys. My father collected antique keys ( had them all on a big ring), and I collected antique furniture. When he passed, I got the keys, and many fit the locks of my antique furniture, which was pretty cool, since I figured it increased the value, since the item had a working key.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I have just two keys on my keychain: My front door key, and the smaller key to my New Orleans style wrought iron grillwork.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I carry two keys but on separate key rings: the car key and the house key(the latter zippered into a compartment in my purse in case the automatic garage door opener doesn't work). I have a key card on a lanyard for my office, but I usually leave this in the center console of my car and try to remember to transfer it to my other car if I intend to switch over to it the next day. I do have some keys in drawers that I have no idea about.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #20
Administrator

Only two keys -- one for the house, one for the car.