Join Early Retirement Today

what is this ntpst on w2 ?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

what is this ntpst on w2 ?

doing my taxes, there's a NTPST in box 14 of my w2.

switched to H&R Block this year, in the software there's no such item in the dropdown list for box 14.

anyone know what that is? can I select "Other - Not listed" for this?

thanks.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

From the TurboTax FAQ:
Quote:
Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.
So it would be an abbreviation that means something to your employer, and you would have to ask them about it.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the entry that is printed on your W-2 IS NOT included in the list, you just need to choose "Other (Not Listed Here)" for the Code for your Box 14 entry. If the item is not specifically included in the list on the drop-down menu for Box 14, the IRS has not provided a place or specific instructions for reporting it.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks guys.

one other question. Need to file paper return this year (pdf of last year return got deleted by accident, have no access to 2016 AGI. too much hassle to get IRS transcript....)

H&R Block instruction says I only need to staple w2 to the front of my return. what about all the 1099-div's ? no need to include them? haven't filed paper returns in a very long time, so don't remember.

claiming standard deductions, btw.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
what about all the 1099-div's ? no need to include them?
No.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
thanks guys.

H&R Block instruction says I only need to staple w2 to the front of my return. what about all the 1099-div's ? no need to include them? haven't filed paper returns in a very long time, so don't remember.

On a paper filed return, you include any 1099s that document federal withholdings, in addition to your W2s
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Your clients had to send copies of the 1099 forms to the IRS earlier this year. The IRS already has that info.

I don't know why they want the W2 but they do. They have that already, too.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
Your clients had to send copies of the 1099 forms to the IRS earlier this year. The IRS already has that info.

I don't know why they want the W2 but they do. They have that already, too.
It is because the deadline for filing w-2s is now Jan 31 while it used to be Feb 28. (Starting with 2016 returns). So the IRS needed the W-2 to check the accuracy of the withholding numbers. (The earlier deadline made checking fro fraud easier). So in some cases the tax return is filed before the W-2 is sent to the IRS (more in with the earlier deadline). Note that the W-2s are sent to social security and then they send the data to the IRS which likley means it gets to the IRS later.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote