Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is wrong with my PC?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is wrong with my PC?

My antivirus (Norton) expired three weeks ago, I won't be getting a new disk till Wednesday. About a week ago I started noticing the fan on my PC was running full steam, not knowing much about hardware I thought it was strange and it continues to get worse.

I started checking my CPU usage through Task Manger and found that it was going 100%. Even when no application was running it was still fluctuating. Today after I turned off my Fidelity Active Trader Pro program I startedhearing my PC fan Erving up again, no application was running.

I looked at applications through Task Mgr and saw three things running through IE, I did not initiating any of these thee
Kaa.im running
[mod edit] running
Careers-Find.com Careers - Windows IE running

These applications keep changing and the CPU sometimes running 100%.

looks like my PC was either infected with virus or hijacked? Somebody is using my PC to send out ads?

Help!
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you kill that task? Then, download AVG, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials, etc..., and run them all, one after another, until the malware is purged. May have to download the software with another PC, then run it on the infected PC in Safe Mode.

I once got a nasty virus that took me a long time to kill. Several AV software could detect that "rootkit", but failed to remove it.

PS. That link you included in the OP points to a bad Web site!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Several months ago I had issues so I purchased RegCurePro. It took a while for it to work its magic but now I have no problems. I have it check every day for malware and once in a while it finds one. I tell it to fix and it does.

It also eliminated those ads that crop up on top of Explorer which infected my computer when I downloaded an Oracle update. Need to do that on DH's new computer.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
My antivirus (Norton) expired three weeks ago, I won't be getting a new disk till Wednesday. About a week ago I started noticing the fan on my PC was running full steam, not knowing much about hardware I thought it was strange and it continues to get worse.

I started checking my CPU usage through Task Manger and found that it was going 100%. Even when no application was running it was still fluctuating. Today after I turned off my Fidelity Active Trader Pro program I startedhearing my PC fan Erving up again, no application was running.

I looked at applications through Task Mgr and saw three things running through IE, I did not initiating any of these thee
Kaa.im running
[link deleted here]
. running
Careers-Find.com Careers - Windows IE running

These applications keep changing and the CPU sometimes running 100%.

looks like my PC was either infected with virus or hijacked? Somebody is using my PC to send out ads?

Help!
Avast flags that link as Mal. Better steer clear.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a heat issue.

My PC does that but not all the time. Every so often the CPU fan starts cranking on full.

To check if the computer is a heat issue with the CPU, what you can do is get a CPU heat monitoring program (there some some free ones around). When the fan goes cranking, watch the temperature to see if it rises up.

If that is the case, sounds like the CPU heat sink may need a re-coating of thermal paste.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Advise to NOT use that PC online until disinfected. I am no fan of Norton, but it is better than nothing. If you really need this machine everyday , get it to a local computer shop. They can purge the bad stuff. Expect to pay $75 -$100. Money well spent IMHO. Good computer geeks don't work for free.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

The free "Process Explorer" program has been quite useful for me to monitor what is hogging CPU and allows for killing and restarting processes.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all. Mailman delivered the Norton antivirus this afternoon. Unable to download it through IE, but was able to do it through Chrome.
Norton found Trojan.Asprox.B
Suspicious.Cloud.5.A
Trojan.Gen

And many others. Will try to get other antivirus programs and run them again.

Mp

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

This is the reason to have a good back-up plan - just roll back to that squeaky clean copy and carry on.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checked my computer, Norton did not resolve the problem. CPU is running at 100%, no applications running

May have to take it in to have it looked at.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Silly question. How old is the PC? Have you opened it an vacuumed out the insulating layer of dust?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Had it cleaned up about a year ago. It was not acting like this until about a week or two ago.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

It would be a useful exercise to eliminate the PC software question by booting into a Linux CD from the BIOS - e.g. F12/boot from CD/enter. If the fan is still running hard, it would indicate a hardware problem.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Boot your Pc into safe mode, without loading drivers.
Then run your antivirus program and it should be able to kill off the offending files.

Also download this from microsoft (its free and legit and rated pretty good)
Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Again, after you install it, reboot your computer into SAFE mode and run the MS antivirus or any other antivirus programs. This is because the viruses sometimes cannot be removed when running in normal mode as the programs are active (even if hidden).

This is not your issue, but later take your vacuum, open your computer box and vacuum the dust out of it. I did that and my fan became much quieter.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There is a possibility that the virus and malware have used system restore to back up their installation. If you see files being flagged that look like "C:\System Volume Information\_restore…" then you must turn off System Restore and run the antivirus system AND Malwarebytes to eliminate the problem. This may take several runs of the programs and rebooting. I do something like the following:
1. Reboot to Safe Mode with networking.
2. Turn off System Restore.
3. You may or may not be able to update the AV/Malwarebytes definitions. If you can, great.
4. Kill what I can with AV + Malwarebytes.
5. Reboot to normal.
6. Update the software in normal mode if you can.
7. Run AV/Malwarebytes again.
8. Reboot.
There are always slippery, bad things which can possibly slip through the cracks. Then you'll need to troubleshoot and employ manual fixes or specialized tools during the sequence above.

If you have an older system, and get infected, you're never quite sure if the system is 100% cleaned. (Do you want to fix your 10-year old car that has spotty performance due to faulty electronics?) It is much simpler to get a new system and carefully copy your data to a USB device, and go forward.

The bad guys have unlimited resources and have been working around Norton and Microsoft for many years. I have zero confidence in those two companies being able to stay ahead. I use Avast and Malwarebytes, and very little else.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 AM   #16

Seems like you either have an application you installed gone haywire or a virus / trojan that puts you in a botnet (or run e.g. bitcoin mining).

Just one way to resolve this: re-install from scratch from a known "good source".

Also, don't use internet explorer anymore. Firefox, Chrome or similar are usually better to avoid nasty software installs and viruses. If you can muster it, install linux (ubuntu, mint or similar).
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #17

I bought a new desktop about a year ago and had the same problem with the cpu. I went to a site called major geeks and checked their forums under hardware and then under software, don't remember which gave me the info.. type in the problem and they have a procedure set up on thier site for just this situation. this is the link address READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker) - MajorGeeks Support Forums
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all. I ran complete scan with Norton twice last night and it SEEMS to solve the problem, not exactly sure if it did. Will download other programs and run them again.

mp
Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I purchased a printer cable yesterday at Office Depot and they gave me a coupon for a free computer check. See if your local store is offering that deal.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

This works 90% of the time, every time: Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance Security Cleanup FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information
mike143 is offline   Reply With Quote