Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If this bothers you , why don't you just move back wherever you were?

For myself, considering all the many difficulties we can run into, I believe I could handle this one, say better than riots, intestinal parasites, malaria, or whatever.

Ha
I swear you sound like us Southerners talking about those Dam Yankees who have invaded us.

I am from the USA and for the most part I love it here. But, I have become very spoiled living the good life even further south and will head back to my new home as soon as I can. The quality of life for me is so much better and while we have our own problems down there, riots or malaria are not really on the radar. A more common worry among my friends is what to wear to the ballet or the opera after having a wonderful dinner at a world class restaurant (all at half the price of what an identical evening would cost back in the USA).

I probably shouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. I was out all night shopping with my sister (never again) and was sitting here reading the site trying to make myself sleepy when the email came through... I was frustrated that once again I had received an email without the person identifying themselves and my tolerance was low after my frustrating night.

Bottom line for me: Young people, or adults for that matter, talking friends is fine but I think that when in a business environment they should at a minimum spell out words and identify themselves.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
The entire modern marketplace is geared towards this demographic.
Not quite. Practically every retailer I walk into, from Home Depot to the neighborhood supermarket, is playing background music that my (early boomer) generation grew up with. I enjoy it, but I don't understand it unless we are still a big slice of their target demographic.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
We're just starting to see the result of what happens when you live in a country where everybody gets a trophy...you end up with high expectations for just showing up.
I see this statement a lot...

Rarely does any kid beyond the early grades get anything for just participating. Probably should tell those tykes that they suck, now go home and no more dodge ball for you. In fact, probably should spank them for sucking.

Then, we can coddle the best athletes, spend thousands if not millions on the high school sports complex, while ignoring the science lab...

As for the original topic, there should be some minimal level of professionalism when you're the public face of a business.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I probably shouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. I was out all night shopping with my sister (never again) and was sitting here reading the site trying to make myself sleepy when the email came through... I was frustrated that once again I had received an email without the person identifying themselves and my tolerance was low after my frustrating night.
I'm curious about your frustration with this particular point (no signature on an email). Are you unable to clearly identify the sender of the email from their email address? Is it like arg145@apartmentcomplex.com or something and you don't know their name? Or custserv@apartmentcomplex.com?

I ask because I don't usually sign my emails since my name (to some extent) is usually in my email address. And if you get into a long reply chain, having 1 line messages with 8 lines of signature makes for messy correspondence IMHO.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I swear you sound like us Southerners talking about those Damn Yankees who have invaded us.
FIFY

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Not quite. Practically every retailer I walk into, from Home Depot to the neighborhood supermarket, is playing background music that my (early boomer) generation grew up with. I enjoy it, but I don't understand it unless we are still a big slice of their target demographic.
That's funny, I've noticed it too. The music that was controversial/rebellious when it first came out (and we were all younger) is now mainstream, even elevator muzak. I laugh when I see 20-somethings wearing The Beatles and Led Zeppelin t-shirts too, what's up with that?

Get your own music ya punks, and get off my lawn too...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I swear you sound like us Southerners talking about those Dam Yankees who have invaded us.

I am from the USA and for the most part I love it here. But, I have become very spoiled living the good life even further south and will head back to my new home as soon as I can. The quality of life for me is so much better and while we have our own problems down there, riots or malaria are not really on the radar. A more common worry among my friends is what to wear to the ballet or the opera after having a wonderful dinner at a world class restaurant (all at half the price of what an identical evening would cost back in the USA).

Bottom line for me: Young people, or adults for that matter, talking friends is fine but I think that when in a business environment they should at a minimum spell out words and identify themselves.
Well it sounds like you really do have a great place to live. Congratulations.

Consider pm'ing me so I can visit there sometime?

Ha
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Here is the EXACT copy and paste of the email I received, and it was in PINK no less

Hey u were approved with a 100 deposit, you like us to go ahead and charge ur card the 100.00 plus the application fee? For move in around Christmas! we r flexible with your move in date also , when you tell me you move in date I can tell you how much you need for the month of December Hope 2 C U soon!

This is the entire email. No greeting me by name, no signature to tell me who it was that sent it. They all use a general apartment email address, and seeing as how there are 3 of them in the office it could have been any one of them, surely it is not to much to ask for them to sign their name as I would like to know which one I am talking to, right?

* just to clarify, all 3 in the office speak English as their native tongue *

This is not some section 8 apartment complex but probably one of the nicest ones in the city.

I completely agree with the OP, this is NOT how one should conduct business. If you are texting your friends then this sloppy communication is OK but in a business context this is not acceptable. I understand this is how 20 somethings behave but it does not make it right when a professional response is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After you move in and put your rent on autopay, are you planning to have a relationship with any of these people?
That's not the point. How would you feel if you went to look at someone's car for sale and when talking to you they were picking their nose? My point is inappropriate is just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Nonsense! Please back this up accusation with some facts.
I don't have to back anything up. If you don't understand then no explanation will suffice.

I am surprised by the number of people here that think this slob behavior is just fine.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Did you mean "mispelling"
Nope, look it up.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Did you mean "mispelling"
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Nope, look it up.

I also see plenty of these misspellings on this site every day

10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling - The Oatmeal
Old 11-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I also see plenty of these misspellings on this site every day

10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling - The Oatmeal
My pet gripe is interchanging principle and principal. Next is your and you're.

And get off my lawn!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #52

Quote:
My pet gripe is interchanging principle and principal.
A few years ago we had a new member who was handing out financial advice, and one of the responses from a member pointed out that if he really was knowledgeable about finances that he would know the difference between principle and principal.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #53

Quote:
My pet gripe is interchanging principle and principal. Next is your and you're.
I'm a then & than kinda guy myself.......plus loose & lose......plus others.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A few years ago we had a new member who was handing out financial advice, and one of the responses from a member pointed out that if he really was knowledgeable about finances that he would know the difference between principle and principal.
What would a financial adviser know about principles? (JK)
Old 11-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A more common worry among my friends is what to wear to the ballet or the opera after having a wonderful dinner at a world class restaurant
I'd be more worried about being invited to the ballet, opera, or a world-class restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I enjoy it, but I don't understand it unless we are still a big slice of their target demographic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's funny, I've noticed it too. The music that was controversial/rebellious when it first came out (and we were all younger) is now mainstream, even elevator muzak. I laugh when I see 20-somethings wearing The Beatles and Led Zeppelin t-shirts too, what's up with that?
I think it's all coming back in style because the tunes are on TV commercials.

Besides, "Stairway to Heaven" has turned 41 years of age. It's practically a Golden Oldie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
That's not the point. How would you feel if you went to look at someone's car for sale and when talking to you they were picking their nose? My point is inappropriate is just that.
I am surprised by the number of people here that think this slob behavior is just fine.
My point is that I see no reason to pay extra rent for highly-pedigreed staff (whether they pick their nose or not) and PhD-level English grammarian communicators. AFAIK he's not planning to date them.

It's a freakin' apartment-- rent it for the location and the quality of the construction and maybe for the swimming pool, but who cares about the public-relations skills of the front office? So as long as he can negotiate the lease and put the rent on autopay, why give a hoot how badly they text on autocorrect?

As for the nose-pickin' auto dealer, I specifically seek sellers like that. Their antisocial behavior drives away the customers, so I can buy the vehicle at a discount. Once I drive off with the car, I'll never see them picking their nose again-- so there's no reason to care about the behavior.

When we bought our "dream house" it was held in trust by the brother-in-law of the parents who'd died three years ago. Four generations of family/cousins were squatting here. The place was a pigsty at its first showing of its second time for sale, and it had actually been taken off the market the first time because it was even filthier. The sellers were so obnoxious to deal with (pit bulls included) that we bought it for 15% below market. On the day we were moving in, one of the family (a recently-paroled ice addict) was still moving out. We walked around a corner and interrupted him as he was... well, "saying goodbye"... to his girlfriend on the floor of the familyroom. We mentioned it to the seller, who threw in a free carpet-cleaning just to keep the issue quiet.

The house had a lot of problems, but it was a diamond in the rough and just needed sweat equity. I have to admit, though, that even after the cleaning my spouse could never look at that part of the carpet in quite the same way ever again. Today the carpet has been replaced with ceramic tile, so she's over it.

Maybe OP should tell management that he's been having such a hard time working with the staff that he wants to sign a 15-month lease at a discount.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm curious about your frustration with this particular point (no signature on an email). Are you unable to clearly identify the sender of the email from their email address? Is it like arg145@apartmentcomplex.com or something and you don't know their name? Or custserv@apartmentcomplex.com?

I ask because I don't usually sign my emails since my name (to some extent) is usually in my email address. And if you get into a long reply chain, having 1 line messages with 8 lines of signature makes for messy correspondence IMHO.
They all 3 reply from one email address: mailbox@apartment.com

The problem was that I had been having an ongoing conversation on Wednesday with one of the 3 about hooking up cable and was continued it an hour or so later only to get a reply which consisted of

"huh"
nothing more nothing less.

I then wrote back "what do you mean "huh""?

and they wrote me back "I don't know what u talking about" still not signing their name.

I then explained that "I was wanting to know if you found out the answer to the cable question"

to which they replied "dont know about that" still not saying who it was or why they did not know about it.

I then asked "well when do you think you will find out"?

to which they replied "find out what"?

I sent back another email saying "when will you find out how far in advance I need to call to set up cable/internet"?

and they said "oh you need to talk to ____ about that"

I wrote back "I thought that is who I was talking to"

I get "nope, she left" (and I still have no idea who I have been corresponding with)

Haha, I know you jest, but should you wish to come visit in about 14 months, I will be glad to show you around.
I live in Polanco.

BTW, I am a woman, not a man and I have no fear of the Opera!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got it. Yes, that would be extremely annoying, so I understand the need for a signature of some sort. And the conversation (or convo as my cohort of 20- and 30- somethings call a conversation) sounds like a comedy skit! I think I would switch to a phone call to clear things up, or specifically request they identify themselves by name when conversing by email.

The brevity of the messages do sound like they were typing on a phone or tablet. And they sound like they really don't care to actually resolve your issue. Probably because they are too busy playing on their phone...
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #58

I try my best to spell words correctly in my posts and to check my grammar before posting. As mentioned a few times before, my mother tongue is not English so please do not hesitate to correct me if you see any mistake in my posts. Thank you.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Haha, I know you jest, but should you wish to come visit in about 14 months, I will be glad to show you around.
I live in Polanco.

BTW, I am a woman, not a man and I have no fear of the Opera!
Very kind offer, thank you! I looked back at some of your posts, and see I have been behaving too often like the smart alec I sometimes can be. If I had known I was speaking to a woman I would have dialed in my "communcating with a woman" module and been a lot more respectful. My apologies.

BTW, I am sure you know many male opera lovers. I am one too.

Ha
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

The problem was that I had been having an ongoing conversation on Wednesday with one of the 3 about hooking up cable and was continued it an hour or so later only to get a reply which consisted of

"huh"
nothing more nothing less.

I then wrote back "what do you mean "huh""?

and they wrote me back "I don't know what u talking about" still not signing their name.

I then explained that "I was wanting to know if you found out the answer to the cable question"

to which they replied "dont know about that" still not saying who it was or why they did not know about it.

I then asked "well when do you think you will find out"?

to which they replied "find out what"?

I sent back another email saying "when will you find out how far in advance I need to call to set up cable/internet"?

and they said "oh you need to talk to ____ about that"

I wrote back "I thought that is who I was talking to"

I get "nope, she left" (and I still have no idea who I have been corresponding with)....
I have to say I'd be very nervous that the communication would continue to fall apart and I'd show up to no apartment (and no one to blame/contact to resolve it). Are there other apartment options for you?