Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is their target market 20- and 30-something hip professionals or students? This type of conversational writing wouldn't be too appalling to the majority of that target demographic I would guess. And she probably sent the message from her phone anyway.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I would say that that is exactly the demographic in these apartments. I guess I am an old fogey at 45......

The apartments I am referring to are in the USA, I think perhaps I didn't make that clear.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
Administrator

My experience in Latin America is when using Facebook, texting or even in some emails, younger people use language differently. It's not the geography, it's age.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO
Is their target market 20- and 30-something hip professionals or students? This type of conversational writing wouldn't be too appalling to the majority of that target demographic I would guess. And she probably sent the message from her phone anyway.
+1.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The entire modern marketplace is geared towards this demographic. Just watch the TV commercials. And they all speak, write, and think the same way.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I would say that that is exactly the demographic in these apartments. I guess I am an old fogey at 45......

The apartments I am referring to are in the USA, I think perhaps I didn't make that clear.
One of the things that makes these apartment residences appealing to that demographic is the vibe or feel of the place. Young, hip, exciting, stylish, etc. It isn't a complete accident that your interactions with these places are more familiar than a typical business transaction. They are creating a story that many 20- or 30-something professionals and students are interested in.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
The entire modern marketplace is geared towards this demographic. Just watch the TV commercials. And they all speak, write, and think the same way.
I'm squarely in the middle of that 20- and 30-something demographic, but apparently think and act more like a 40-something.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
OP here. I am glad to be back home for a while. I was dragged to Wally World over night and truth be told in a bad mood when I made the post this morning, sorry <head hanging down>

Anyway after my long night of Black Friday shopping I walked in to another email from one of the apartments Here is the EXACT copy and paste of the email I received, and it was in PINK no less

Hey u were approved with a 100 deposit, you like us to go ahead and charge ur card the 100.00 plus the application fee? For move in around Christmas! we r flexible with your move in date also , when you tell me you move in date I can tell you how much you need for the month of December Hope 2 C U soon!

This is the entire email. No greeting me by name, no signature to tell me who it was that sent it. They all use a general apartment email address, and seeing as how there are 3 of them in the office it could have been any one of them, surely it is not to much to ask for them to sign their name as I would like to know which one I am talking to, right?

* just to clarify, all 3 in the office speak English as their native tongue *

This is not some section 8 apartment complex but probably one of the nicest ones in the city.

The comparison to Latin America was because I used to say that it annoyed me how everyone got dressed up to go to the grocery store and that business was so formal. Now that I am used to it, I suppose the casualness of the USA is bothering me...
If this bothers you , why don't you just move back wherever you were?

For myself, considering all the many difficulties we can run into, I believe I could handle this one, say better than riots, intestinal parasites, malaria, or whatever.

Ha
Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After you move in and put your rent on autopay, are you planning to have a relationship with any of these people?
You're kidding, right? Once you move IN, the real relationship begins with landlords. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
When your 'schooling' is comprised of courses in "The psychology of LGBT Underwater Basket Weaving and its Environmental Effects on the Oppressed" it really doesn't prepare you for the world's actualities.
Uh, ... for "is comprised of" don't you mean either "is composed of" or "comprises"? Just sayin'

O tempora, O mores.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Uh, ... for "is comprised of" don't you mean either "is composed of" or "comprises"? Just sayin'

O tempora, O mores.
A Mea Culpa combined with "Oh wow, at last I'm part of the new generation"....

Is the phrase 'is comprised of' acceptable

Quote:
Is the phrase 'is comprised of' acceptable?

It is becoming acceptable.

That phrase is still considered incorrect by some grammarians and usage experts. It is, however, becoming more and more common and will, eventually, become standard, because usage always triumphs over pedantry.

The word comprise is synonymous with is composed of, because the whole comprises its parts. In the context of formal, prescriptive grammar, you would not say the whole is comprised of its parts, nor should you say the parts comprise the whole.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I've seen some horrible language corruptions even on this site (I'm including myself) but I think the OP's main issue is the general lax attitude in dealing with the public.

It isn't limited to apartments or furniture stores. My experience with the younger crowd ranges from 'wow! there's hope for this country' to 'what a lazy, self entitled...'.

We're just starting to see the result of what happens when you live in a country where everybody gets a trophy...you end up with high expectations for just showing up.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #33
Administrator

Oh good. Grammar police.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oh good. Grammar police.
Incomplete sentences. Two of them.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

People have been dissing the younger generation for all time. I find some of these examples funny but I also frequently deal with young adults who blow me away with their knowledge and sophistication. Is C U soon any more humorous than a clueless old fart from our generation screaming about keeping your gubbmint hands off my Medicare?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I've seen some horrible language corruptions even on this site (I'm including myself) but I think the OP's main issue is the general lax attitude in dealing with the public.

It isn't limited to apartments or furniture stores. My experience with the younger crowd ranges from 'wow! there's hope for this country' to 'what a lazy, self entitled...'.

We're just starting to see the result of what happens when you live in a country where everybody gets a trophy...you end up with high expectations for just showing up.
And get those kids off my lawn!

PS: Everyone talks about those trophies but my kids didn't get them. Now that's sad when you can't even get the trophy for just participating!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Incomplete sentences. Two of them.

OMG! 2 more.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another too. And a number under 10 not spelled out.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Another too.......
Misspelling.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you mean "mispelling"
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote