Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is your favorite rock music decade?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is your favorite rock music decade?

Approaching my 6th decade on this vacation paradise called Earth, I've started listening to music a lot more. So much available on the web (Spotify, Pandora, etc), it is truly wonderful and can really kill a serious chunk of you busy ER days.
It got me thinking about what time period stands out as my favorite decade for rock music. In my book, the 1970's wins easily. Groups in their heyday included The Who, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Led Jeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stones, Earth-Wind-and-Fire, CSNY, and soo many solo artists. There was a little dark period with those "disco years." But, still, a great decade for rock.
I kinda wonder how much age matters. I have kids half my age and they seem to have the same enjoyment of the 70's to early 80s rock, pop, country as I do. Which is cool.
Chuck
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

If I have to pick a decade, I agree with you on the 70's, with 1971 a landmark year. That year we saw the release of Led Zeppelin IV, Who's Next, Sticky Fingers and L.A. Woman.

If I could pick any ten year period, I would go with 66-75. Beatles at their peak creativity, the aforementioned groups in their prime, the psychedelic era, the emergence of Southern rock. So much enduring music in that short period of time....
Old 06-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a similar age and found lots of stuff I really loved from the '60s through the early '00s. Then it seemed to just kinda... stop, and there are only a handful of songs from the last decade or so I really like and none that hit me with anything like the intensity of the best of the '60s through the '90s.

To your original question, though, I've always been partial to bands from the original "rock explosion" years from the early 60s to about '72, and equally so to the grunge/alternative years of the early '90s. I kinda sat out the whole disco era listening to some unholy mixture of punk and prog.

BTW, speaking of "the psychedelic era, the emergence of Southern rock" I've always loved the seemingly bizarre connections between different genres that show up in rock. No one embodies this more for me than Ed King. He wrote that most prototypical psychedelic anthem "Incense and Peppermints" while playing in the Strawberry Alarm Clock and then somehow found himself in Lynyrd Skynyrd a few years later where he co-wrote "Sweet Home Alabama". Had to be the best seat in the house for the '60s and the '70s.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really enjoy going to tribute band concerts - The Cars, Eagles, the Beatles, Pink Floyd - whatever era classic rock comes from.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yep, 70's for me too. Add Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons, Yes, Rush, ACDC, Heart, and repeat on Pink Floyd.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I like a the new stuff today. Ha. 70's for sure.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It's the 1980s for me. I didn't start following Top-40 pop music until a few years into the 80s.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

69 to 78

(decade, a period of 10 years)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #9

I loved alot of 60s stuff but if I had to go with a decade it would be the 70s. If I could cherry pick I would go with Big_hitter but want to double check as to whether to dial it back to include 68 and possibly 67.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

the only reason I dialed it back is that 69 was a big year for rock and some girls came out in 78
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

Definitely the 70's. Aerosmith, Kiss, Elton John, Journey, ABBA, Bee Gees, Carole King, Carly Simon, Carpenters, Beach Boys, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Queen, Cheap Trick, Billy Joel, AC/DC, Styx, Foreigner, Eagles, ELO, Cars, Heart, Judas Priest...

Just too many to name, and while I like music from the last four decades, the 70's was just so much better.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I might have to go with the 90s--Smashing Pumpkins, Cranberries, Nirvana, Gin Blossoms to name a few. I can pick some good ones out of any decade, though the 2010s are running out of time! Then again, the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, early Chicago, etc, did make the 70s great.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Definitely the 70's. Aerosmith, Kiss, Elton John, Journey, ABBA, Bee Gees, Carole King, Carly Simon, Carpenters, Beach Boys, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Queen, Cheap Trick, Billy Joel, AC/DC, Styx, Foreigner, Eagles, ELO, Cars, Heart, Judas Priest...

Just too many to name, and while I like music from the last four decades, the 70's was just so much better.
Oh, just reading your list is making my head spin thinking about other artists like Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Ohio Players. So many!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Led Zeppelin is an old favorite. Was fortunate enough to catch them in concert in 1976.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #15

It's hard to pick a decade. I was into bands like Triumph and Dio when I was younger. They don't really make rock music like that anymore. Well, maybe they do but the rock stations won't play it too much. My ears can't take that stuff anymore anyway. When I listen to rock music today it's classic rock from the 70's and 80's like the Rolling Stones or the Cars, or Journey. Also, not sure these qualify as rock music, but I have to throw in Billy Joel, Elton John, Eagles, and Simon and Garfunkel in there as well. They all made some good songs.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The 70's.

The soundtrack to the movie "Dazed And Confused" is great! (the movie is excellent as well)
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #17

65-75, The Beatles, Zep, Stones, Eagles, ABB, Who, Skynard, Police, Pink Floyd, need I say more.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We've got tickets to see REO Speedwagon and Styx in concert coming up.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I was raised in Nashville, Tennessee--The Music City--and I was between decades.
My favorite single 10 years in music was when the Beatles hit the U.S. in 1964 until 1974.
I went to college in Memphis when STAX and the local soul music scene was absolutely incredible. Think Soul Man, The Midnight Hour and Shaft.
And now I live in Muscle Shoals, Alabama--another incredible music scene where The Osmonds to Paul Anka to Cher to The Rolling Stones recorded their biggest hits. And the same musicians still walk our city's streets. Our local young artists are Patterson Hood, John Paul White and Jason Isbell.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Mostly modern rock for me. (60's and 70's ) Elton John, Carole King, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, The Eagles and even the Beatles.

I also like country but even more modern (80's until now) Alan Jackson, Leann Rimes, George Strait, Tim McGraw and many others.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote