Join Early Retirement Today

What is your "Free Gift" threshold?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is your "Free Gift" threshold?

I was given a certificate to mail in to get a $10 gift card at a place of my choice (Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc). I chose to toss it out and the wife asked why.

I explained that getting out an envelope, pen, paper, spending time writing address, purchase info, doing the envelope and stamp, then posting it, was to much effort for $10.

What is your threshold, and BTW, any tips on where the freebies are these days?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would have done that for $10. And if it's not something I'm interested in, if it were transferable I'd give it to a friend who could use it and they could jump through the hoops.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I 've done it for $3.00 . I bought Hasbro games for my SO's grand kids that had a $3.00 rebate . The rebate came and it was the monopoly guy on a $3.00 visa card .It was so cute I hated to use it . I often do surveys for $10.00 amazon gift cards .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #4

I think the $10 must have been my threshold cause I almost sent it in but if it were $15 for sure I would have.

But it really looked like about a 20 minute effort. Finding things, doing the writing and stuff. So I was a bit guilty to just toss away $10.

Next time. But $3? I hope that was a while ago.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I still kneel down to pick up a penny off the floor. So, yes, a $10 debit card would be worth my time. I would even take the time to turn the card in at the bank for cash.

It's not like I'm being paid for my time off. When I'm home, I have to do plenty of tedious chores for no pay.

Moe, do you have to buy something at Amazon to be offered the survey where they pay you $10? I have never gotten that offer when I've been on the Amazon site.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I often do surveys for $10.00 amazon gift cards .
Do you mind sharing where you can do those surveys?

I do online survey through E-Rewards (I think that is their name) and very small amounts of money get credited and you can get different things. I am currently getting a subscription to Prevention magazine, which I enjoy reading, for free.

I definitely would have done the $10.00 certificate. I do coupons on a hit or miss basis. It feels good when I have a bunch of coupons and use them. It feels like free money.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

I, also, still pick up a penny in the street. For $10 I'd sing a little song with it while I mailed it in.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Moe, do you have to buy something at Amazon to be offered the survey where they pay you $10? I have never gotten that offer when I've been on the Amazon site.

Amethyst

It is not through Amazon . It's not E rewards but something similar to that .It may be called E surveys . The surveys take around twenty minutes and they pay you with an Amazon gift card . If I think of the name of it I'll PM it to you .
Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post

Next time. But $3? I hope that was a while ago.

It was Dec.2008 . Hey $3.00 is enough for lunch at Checkers !
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...too much effort for $10.

What is your threshold, and BTW, any tips on where the freebies are these days?
Threshold unknown to date.
I am a sucker for any kind of freebie, as long as I don't have to give out anything more than my address and my public (not private home) email.
For instance...

Mars (candy makers) did a free chocolate coupon giveaway a while back. All I had to do is register, login every Friday, and lo and behold, a coupon for $0.85 would arrive by snail mail. I did this for about 3 months. I really enjoyed paying $0.15 for a single package of M&Ms. It was so retro! They finally stopped the promotion.

There is a free website at www.heyitsfree.com that is pretty funny. [If I just violated a forum rule, please edit the link out] The webmaster is a real character.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It is not through Amazon . It's not E rewards but something similar to that .It may be called E surveys . The surveys take around twenty minutes and they pay you with an Amazon gift card . If I think of the name of it I'll PM it to you .
Me too, please.

Ha
Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I, also, still pick up a penny in the street. For $10 I'd sing a little song with it while I mailed it in.
I used to but I decided that it is not worth the slightly increased risk of being mugged. I like to walk down the street with my eyes checking what is going on at the people level, not on the pavement.

Ha
Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I used to but I decided that it is not worth the slightly increased risk of being mugged. I like to walk down the street with my eyes checking what is going on at the people level, not on the pavement.

Ha
I'd look.

The Money Floor (Alas, Only Pennies) - Neatorama
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #14

It depends how much it takes to get the "free" or "discount" goods. More than a few minutes work for US$10 is not currently worth it to me given working hours etc

I expect my approach to change once I stop working - having no income should affect my perspective
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
It depends how much it takes to get the "free" or "discount" goods. More than a few minutes work for US$10 is not currently worth it to me given working hours etc

I expect my approach to change once I stop working - having no income should affect my perspective
"Discount" goods. Is Golden Computing still operating? I used to fly to HK, get a room at Chung King Mansions $16-20, hit Golden Computing for a few, "errr, ummm" disks and fly out feeling like I had scored bigtime. Maybe some antibiotics and a few other more exotic meds.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #16

Quote:
But it really looked like about a 20 minute effort. Finding things, doing the writing and stuff. So I was a bit guilty to just toss away $10.
Lessee... $10 for 20 minutes is $30/hour, tax free.

Yup, I'd do it.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Lessee... $10 for 20 minutes is $30/hour, tax free.

Yup, I'd do it.
How is that tax free?

Is that not required to be claimed on federal, state and local income tax returns?
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #18

I wouldn't give my information to a marketer for $10.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
How is that tax free?

Is that not required to be claimed on federal, state and local income tax returns?
Sure it's required. But does anyone actually remember to? Doing the tax return this year I included a source for $8.34, but only because we received the 1099DIV for it as a reminder. But the only way the store would be able to do that is to get my SS # and that ain't gonna happen.

Confession: I didn't report the free Coke from Jerry's Sub Shop as income either. Somehow I don't think the IRS cares.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I received a gift card from Staples for $10 off on purchased over $75. I could go and stock up on printer paper. My LBYM tells me to make a purchase, but my body tells me the idea of hauling all the paper isn't worth saving the $10
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote