Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which number is your calculated value closest to (see instructions)?
2 2 2.99%
3 7 10.45%
4 21 31.34%
5 23 34.33%
6 6 8.96%
7 4 5.97%
8 1 1.49%
9 or abbove 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

What is Your HDTV "Number" -- Read Instructions
Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is Your HDTV "Number" -- Read Instructions

If (and only if) you are happy with your HDTV size, this poll is for you.

Divide the advertised size of your HDTV (e.g. 42 inches) by the distance, in feet, from your HDTV to where your nose is when you watch it (the "viewing distance") in feet. Choose the number in the poll that is closest to your calculated number.

For example, if you have a 32 inch HDTV, and you sit 10 feet away, your number is 3.2, and you should choose "3" in the poll. If you have a 47 inch HDTV and you sit 8 feet away, your number is 5.9 and you should choose "6."

Remember, if you think your HDTV is too small or too big, don't participate in the poll. Also, if you don't have an HDTV, sit this one out.

["above," I know]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I hate a poll that prevents me from grumbling about how small my 42" TV is.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I voted 4. I have a 32" TV and am just over 8 ft away for a value of about 3.9
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing low enough in the poll for me....47" TV is in the den with the girl folks and I am normally in the "boy cave"......about 40 feet away

OK....I do have my own 47 incher in the "boy cave"...about 7 feet in front of me....uhhh....let's see....carry the one....double naught per Jethro Bodeen.....gives me a big ole' 7!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Living room: 42" from 10'-12' away: perfect - HDTV number ~ 4
Bedroom: 37" from 15' away: OK - HDTV number ~ 2.5
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

32", about 9' away in my favorite chair... guess that would round up to 4.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

46" at 10 feet (perfect). Used to have 32" at 10 feet and that had me squinting. Hadn't realized that my old place had the tv at 8 feet so I thought my vision was going at first.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

T-Al ..... what are you figuring? Optimal distance or preferred distance?

Just the other day I realized that If I sit on the coffee table (in front of the couch where I normally sit) I can follow the hockey puck so much easier. I normally rely on watching the players to see which spot on the ice they all move toward.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to watch future games sitting on the table.

Maybe for the playoffs
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a link to an online calculator to compute optimal sizes and such for any viewing distance...

Viewing Distance Calculator
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #10

12.5 ft away from a 65"....saaaaweeeet
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, here's my situation. We are completely happy with our regular old 27" Sony trinitron, viewed at 10 feet. Maybe it's partly because we haven't been exposed to anything better. Partly, I think that when you "get into" a TV show, size doesn't matter. I discovered this when watching a 13" TV once.

Anyway, the problem is that our TV is too low (when viewed from our recliners), and too heavy to put on the top of the entertainment center. One low-cost solution is to get a 32 inch HDTV, and put it up high. All the calculators say that this is too small.

Many calculators base it on the minimum size necessary to be able to appreciate the high definition.

So I wanted an indication of whether we'd be just as happy as we are now with a set that is no bigger than our current one.

What I should ask is: Does anyone have a number of 3.2, and find that their TV is too small?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #12

Keep in mind the motives of those who made the calculator.

For years we had a small portible 4 inch black and white TV in the kitchen that you could watch while cooking from maybe 10 feet away.

really - It was just fine. Now whats my ratio.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Depends. Like that word.

The calculators are usually based on clear focused field view of the eye which is several degrees. Can't remember the number.

The question is how much detail you really want to see. If too close on digital screen you start seeing pixilation.

Another consideration is do you want to be fully focused on the image or do you want see the tv's surroundings.

Show producers and advertisers want you as close as possible to be fully involved. Selfish buggers that they are. It is easier to get/be detached and turn the d*mn thing off if you are at the outer limits of the recommended distance or even farther. Mind games are being played, and the recommended distance or closer ensures full boob ( in this case the boob is the viewer) mode.

Our viewing distance is about 15 to 16 feet from a 42" plasma.

Enjoy
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What I should ask is: Does anyone have a number of 3.2, and find that their TV is too small?
I have a 4.2 and found my TV to be too small.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, here's my situation. We are completely happy with our regular old 27" Sony trinitron, viewed at 10 feet. Maybe it's partly because we haven't been exposed to anything better. Partly, I think that when you "get into" a TV show, size doesn't matter. I discovered this when watching a 13" TV once.

Anyway, the problem is that our TV is too low (when viewed from our recliners), and too heavy to put on the top of the entertainment center. One low-cost solution is to get a 32 inch HDTV, and put it up high. All the calculators say that this is too small.

Many calculators base it on the minimum size necessary to be able to appreciate the high definition.

So I wanted an indication of whether we'd be just as happy as we are now with a set that is no bigger than our current one.

We went from a CRT to LCD - was pleased with the size of the CRT and wanted to not go to a smaller size when viewing a 16x9 aspect ratio LCD vs. a 4x3 aspect ratio CRT. We are fairly happy, though when viewing the LCD in 4x3 mode to avoid super fat 16x9 wide screen tv people the screen size is still somewhat smaller. One does get used to people looking like normal Americans rather than models after awhile. That old jibe about the tv adding 10# to your looks? Make it 50# if its an LCD. Do you get over the air, picked up by antenna tv down there? Many of those channels will be in HD - which is even more amazing when its free.
http://www.generalcadd.com/pdf/Measu...WhitePaper.pdf
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

T-Al, when I traded in my old 33" Sony Trinitron for a new Plasma TV a few years ago, I discovered something. Flat screen TV's are usually wide-screen whereas the Sony wasn't. Due to the difference in aspect ratio, my 33" Sony was the same dimension (top to bottom of viewing area) as my 42" plasma TV, approximately and they look best from about the same distance.

Yours is 27", but those are 27 very robust inches. I would suggest a 36" flat screen TV. Take a tape measure and measure.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a 3.9 and wouldn't want to go much smaller. If I was 10 ft away i'd get a 42" if it was affordable.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

What W2R said. A 27" diagonal WS is going to be much shorter top-bottom than a 27" diagonal CRT. It'll seem tiny in comparison.

You might also want to find out if you are in the same group as I am - the group that absolutely cannot stand the 'stretched' picture to make the older aspect ratio 'fit' the wider screen. I don't know how people can watch that way, but they do. For me it's like saying I couldn't reach Bb, so this A will be just as good. If that is the case, the older formatted shows will only use a part of the screen.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #19

We sit 12 ft away from the TV. I was never particularly bothered by our 27" CRT but last year we upgraded to a 52" 120hz LCD. All I can say is - I now hate watching TV on CRTs, it's painful. If you watch a lot of movies or sports (or any widescreen content which is letterboxed on your CRT) it is totally worth the upgrade.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
gone traveling

I usually watch TV with a thousand-yard stare...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote