Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hobbies before ER (DW feels I retired because I didn't have time to work?)

-Astronomy/Astronomy Video Photography
-Woodworking (on hold til my workshop is done)
-RC Airplanes
-Walking/Hiking locally
-Dabble in winemaking, mostly sweet, fruit type wines for summer sipping
-Salt Water aquarium (more DW than me though)
-Shetland Sheepdog Rescue work (more administrative support now since we moved to WV.
-Portable sawmill, also a part time job but only to get wood/money to support my hobbies

New since retirement

-We've just bought some alpacas so clearing land for pasture and to build a shed, alpacas here in late Feb or March
-Taking up weaving and yarn spinning to use the fleece, we hope!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
My oldest hobby is scale model railroading....been 'playing with trains' since 1968!!!
Wow, I bet your basement is a wonderland of railroading!

Sort of like this guy's:

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #63
gone traveling

What is your hobby?

Nothing. Reading these responses make it sound like too much w*rk ....
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #64

My latest woodworking project - a car for my niece's boy. I'm starting to realize that the smaller projects are the most fun - take less time to build, cost less, and take up less space.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My latest project - a car for my niece's boy.

Nice.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
[LIST][*]Amateur Radio (mainly building radios and becoming a better Morse code operator)
I noticed there are some other posters or poster's SOs who are also hams. In today's Internet age, it is good to know there are people still interested in this form of communication.

Never a ham myself, but I used to be very interested in wireless electronics. I can still remember the 1st electronic hobbyist book on tube radios I bought when I was 12. It was the beginning of what became a lifelong hobby (I have been making most of my living doing more analytical/theoretical work than designing electronic circuits). I was most interested in QRP. When a youngster, used to dream of having my own place in the countryside so that I could string up aerials, and install huge Yagis. Now that I have such a place, and on a nice high ground too, my interest in it already fades.

I may get back to it one of these days. I have all the equipment (nice HP and Tek lab-grade stuff) to build whatever I want to. Perhaps it's one of those things that when you can do something too easily with all that test equipment, it takes the fun out of it.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I noticed there are some other posters or poster's SOs who are also hams. In today's Internet age, it is good to know there are people still interested in this form of communication.
A senior friend of mine who does ham radio and keeps in contact with his group of buddies says they spend all their time talking on the radio about their PCs!

Audrey
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Never a ham myself, but I used to be very interested in wireless electronics. I can still remember the 1st electronic hobbyist book on tube radios I bought when I was 12. It was the beginning of what became a lifelong hobby (I have been making most of my living doing more analytical/theoretical work than designing electronic circuits). I was most interested in QRP. When a youngster, used to dream of having my own place in the countryside so that I could string up aerials, and install huge Yagis. Now that I have such a place, and on a nice high ground too, my interest in it already fades.

I may get back to it one of these days. I have all the equipment (nice HP and Tek lab-grade stuff) to build whatever I want to. Perhaps it's one of those things that when you can do something too easily with all that test equipment, it takes the fun out of it.
Funny you mention that. The one time I did live in a house that I owned and could have put up some decent antennas, I was too involved in my career to have the interest to do so. About 6 months before I bought that place, I had the chance to buy a nice small house on a fairly remote hilltop overlooking downtown Los Angeles - there were only 3 houses total on the hill, which was accessible only by a narrow road with a hairpin bend. The house came with an empty lot next door included in the price of $150K. Due, I guess, to being preoccupied with my career, I wasn't even thinking of radio, but that would have been a good QTH for antennas. What was I thinking?

I still dream of owning a big piece of land on which I can experiment with antennas, but am now not sure that I'd want to commit to living in the same place for an extended period of time. The current dream is to live in an RV and find great places for antennas while roaming around the country.

You could build some great QRP equipment with that test gear of yours NW-Bound. One of my home-brew projects is going to be featured in an ARRL publication coming out this year. I manage without good test gear, but it sure would make the building experience more fun.

*sighs* Looks like I might have to find a part-time job this year so I can afford that Lazy Daze.........
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

One activity I like is watching birds. I enjoy trying to figure out what they're doing.

Yesterday I saw a Green Heron (blue green feathers on head and red brest) at the lake while doing stretching. He was hiding out in the reeds. Had to consult the bird book to ID him.

Today I watched flocks of Robins and Cedar Waxwings competing for the red berries on a large bush in our backyard. Also saw a Cooper's Hawk scouting out the activity.

A few days ago I saw a small hawk (maybe a Sparrow Hawk) struggling with a Flicker. Took off with it to have for lunch. Nature is cruel sometimes.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My latest woodworking project - a car for my niece's boy. I'm starting to realize that the smaller projects are the most fun - take less time to build, cost less, and take up less space.

Yes, agree with HFWR - very nice.

Small is fun for the reasons you mention, but I also find it frustrating - everything really needs to be near perfect, any little mismatch shows since you normally hold it up for close inspection. And I'm just not that good.

What tools did you use? I'm guessing band-saw to cut out the body, maybe a router to shape the fenders? But how do you get that tight angle that forms the seat smoothed, yet maintain a crisp line? Stuff like that drives me bonkers - I'd cheat and round it so I could get sandpaper or scraper in there (more like the fenders in that space).

Walnut fenders/ws? Birch body? Cherry wheels?

-ERD50
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #71

Quote:

Thats a beauty. You'd do well at the craft fairs with a line of these wooden toys.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thats a beauty. You'd do well at the craft fairs with a line of these wooden toys.
But then that would be WORK!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #73

Quasi-retired here - hobbies:

1) Knitting
2) Reading
3) When I can find it, badminton playing
4) Snow skiing - will be going this weekend - one year after my second ACL reconstruction....sigh
5) Traveling - pretty good at setting up my own itineraries - research, timing, what is essential to see in a particular place
6) Reading blogs - surfing the internet - WAY too much of that
7 ) Hiking - will miss my weekly volksmarches here in Germany after moving back to the US

Hope to take up tap dancing soon and want to finish a mini-triathlon by the time I'm 50.....also, still have many places in the world I wish to visit - want to snow ski in Japan and Australia and New Zealand for one. Want to attend the Australian Open for tennis (will have been to every Tennis Slam when get over there). Also will be working to design an indigenous garden in my new backyard - I have a lot of respect for landscape architects/gardeners. They have to have a very good vision of what the plants will look like over time and be PATIENT - not my strength :-)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I can't see myself doing something like Ronstar has. I just do not have that patience, nor the skills. Or is it that I do not have the patience to develop the skills? Oh, whatever... I just do not see myself doing that.

I remember Uncle Honey is another one who does fine woodworking. Has not posted in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A senior friend of mine who does ham radio and keeps in contact with his group of buddies says they spend all their time talking on the radio about their PCs!
Even more than 30 years ago, hams already tried to merge their wireless gear to the digital world, by transmitting facsimiles, or digital packet radios, etc...

I still prefer the purer form of wireless communications: trying to see how long one can reach out with a mere 100mW of power (that's DC input power mind you, not radiated power), making up for that ridiculously low level with gigantic antennas, and a super sensitive and selective receiver. And a lot of patience too!

Oh wait, I already said I don't have a lot of time left to afford to be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
One of my home-brew projects is going to be featured in an ARRL publication coming out this year.

*sighs* Looks like I might have to find a part-time job this year so I can afford that Lazy Daze.........
Is it QST that your project will be featured on? I can go read that at a nearby city library.

By the way, the expensive test equipment pieces I have are all business-related. I could not justify, nor need something that nice for a hobby.

About the RV, you must be wanting a new Lazy Daze. Old ones are more expensive than other brands, but not prohibitively so.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
Quasi-retired here - hobbies:

1) Knitting
2) Reading
3) When I can find it, badminton playing
4) Snow skiing - will be going this weekend - one year after my second ACL reconstruction....sigh
5) Traveling - pretty good at setting up my own itineraries - research, timing, what is essential to see in a particular place
6) Reading blogs - surfing the internet - WAY too much of that
7 ) Hiking - will miss my weekly volksmarches here in Germany after moving back to the US

Hope to take up tap dancing soon and to want to finish a mini-triathlon by the time I'm 50.....also, still have many places in the world I wish to visit - want to snow ski in Japan and Australia and New Zealand for one. Want to attend the Australian Open for tennis (will have been to every Tennis Slam when get over there). Also will be working to design an indigenous garden in my new backyard - I have a lot of respect for landscape architects/gardeners. They have to have a very good vision of what the plants will look like over time and be PATIENT - not my strength :-)
Badminton. Now that is something that isnt mentioned very often. I won my university badminton championship back in 1984. I wasnt going to enter it because I thought it was a "girlly game" but my friend talked me into it. All I remember about it was the tournament took several days and after it was over, I couldnt hardly walk or move my left arm for several days and I was in good shape, too. I dont think I have played it since then, but you could get some serious exercize out of it, if it was competitive.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #76

Quote:
I still prefer the purer form of wireless communications: trying to see how long one can reach out with a mere 100mW of power (that's DC input power mind you, not radiated power), making up for that ridiculously low level with gigantic antennas, and a super sensitive and selective receiver. And a lot of patience too!
Me too. I usually stay at the 5W level, though I did work Wisconsin the other day with 200mW. Today with 5W, I worked Uruguay, Tokyo, New Zealand, South Korea, Connecticut, Wyoming and Missouri. Fun stuff!

Quote:
Is it QST that your project will be featured on? I can go read that at a nearby city library.
Not QST - a new edition of an ARRL book. I'll message you with the info.

Quote:
About the RV, you must be wanting a new Lazy Daze. Old ones are more expensive than other brands, but not prohibitively so.
Nope - I'm thinking of a used LD, but am living on a tight budget due to my modest net worth. My standard of living is lower than that of most folk on this board, but most of the time, it doesn't take much to keep me happy
Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Nice.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, agree with HFWR - very nice.

Small is fun for the reasons you mention, but I also find it frustrating - everything really needs to be near perfect, any little mismatch shows since you normally hold it up for close inspection. And I'm just not that good.

What tools did you use? I'm guessing band-saw to cut out the body, maybe a router to shape the fenders? But how do you get that tight angle that forms the seat smoothed, yet maintain a crisp line? Stuff like that drives me bonkers - I'd cheat and round it so I could get sandpaper or scraper in there (more like the fenders in that space).

Walnut fenders/ws? Birch body? Cherry wheels?

-ERD50
Thanks! Yes - a band saw to cut the body and router with 1/4" round over bit to shape fenders. The tight angle in the body was cut on the band saw , two band saw cuts meeting at the tight angle. I have a stationary benchtop belt sander and spindle sander that handle most of the sanding, but I had to sand the tight angle on the body by hand to get the crisp line. Walnut fenders, maple body. Don't know about the wheels - I got the wheels with the car pattern from toys and joys . I like their setup - they just give you the wheels and a plan. I bought the maple, but the walnut was leftover from other projects. I can see making a lot of these type of projects from scraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thanks - I like making stuff, but I don't want to make/set up a booth and sit around all day. I have made things for people for $ before and the toughest thing about it was fitting their project into my schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
But then that would be WORK!
That's exactly right!

Quote:
I can't see myself doing something like Ronstar has. I just do not have that patience, nor the skills. Or is it that I do not have the patience to develop the skills? Oh, whatever... I just do not see myself doing that.
Not much patience or skills involved - you just need the right tools.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #78

Ronstar, that car is beautiful. You do great work!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think I developed any new hobbies since I retired. So, having the same hobbies as before but now able to spend more time on them. I noticed tha most of my hobbies can be done solo but sometimes more enjoyable to do them with some company:-

1. Travel - by far my most expensive hobby but the way I look at it, I can only do this as long as I remain healthy and mobile.
2. Eating - can be food that I cook and also trying out new restaurants. Always on the lookout for a good deal.
3. Drinking - as in appreciating wine and coffee. Usually done together with eating.
4. Golfing - like to try out golf courses and sometimes combine golfing with travelling.
5. Watching TV and movies - all time favorite. Inexpensive too. This hobby is usually done solo, can't be distracted by people talking or commenting on the movie when I watch it.
6. Shopping - even if it is window shopping. I find that time flies when I shop and that's so much to see and learn. There are so many types of things to see - clothes, shoes, bags, electronics, cooking ware, books, cosmetics, home stuff, even grocery. So many products and gimmicks.
7. Reading - usually non-fiction and variety of topics. So much to learn and enjoy.
8. Do participating in forums, exercising, being active on Facebook, etc count? All these and more are part of my everyday life and makes the hours in the day so more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, I have still not counted volunteering as a hobby. Does that make me a not kind person? When I volunteer, I just tell myself that it is something I should do but deep in my heart, I know it's not a hobby.......yet(?).
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #80

Astronomy and fossil hunting. I used to do astrophotography and am working on getting back into it with digital equipment.