Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

My favorite lunch was a 3 course affair in the cellar of a vineyard outside of Bologna - still the best pasta dish I ever had (this was in 2000). The wine and atmosphere were amazing.

A few months ago in Las Vegas, my SO and our best friends had an amazing dinner at Twist. Very expensive, but well worth it. So many different flavors and textures, great wine, great service - overall just a memorable evening.

In April, my SO and I ate in a small place in Montepulciano where the owner lured us in by saying he had the best food in Tuscany. Yeah, right, but we were tired and hungry. There was a mushroom-in-pastry dish that was to die for, and the rest of the food was also very good, but mostly I'll remember that he seranaded me in a voice that could challenge Pavarati, shared his personal vino santo with us, and told us stories of being a farmer and restaurant owner (all the food was from his farm, and his wife was the chef!). He gave us a fabulous first night in Tuscany.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
It was in the 60's. My best friend, Liz, & I used to go to Woolworth's every day after school - we were sophomores, 15 years old, pretty, and knew it. Liz was prettier than me, and so was my mentor for coolness.

We each had a hot fudge banana split - and would talk about our dreams and yearnings for the future. We figured it all out. I remember her new big yellow and pink flower pin; I showed her my new dress purchased with baby-sitting money. We lived in the here-and-now, and could see into eternity, so young and alive were we.

Little did we know what the future had in store. Liz passed away in the 70's from a drug overdose.

Somehow, I survived into today - somewhat stronger, more realistic, and wiser. I miss Liz still....
I was thinking of Woolworth's as I got to your message. I lived in Kingston, NY until I was 12. I remember going into Woolworth's and they had a special on Ice Cream Sundays. They put all of these balloons above the counter and you would pick one, pop it and the price you would pay for the Sunday would be written on a small piece of paper inside the balloon. I remember you could see through most of the balloons and see the prices before you picked one, so we got some great deals on Ice Cream Sundays!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 2006 we found Grandma's Kitchun in the small town of Boston, Kentucky. We were famished, but the sign in the window said CLOSED.......I tried the handle anyway.....the owners, a husband & wife team, were still there and told us to come in.....if there were customers they'd feed 'em, (while we were eating the phone rang a couple times and the guy told the callers to "Come on down").

I've been to some 60 countries, but this was the absolute BEST 'home cooked meal' I've ever had...and my lady concurred.

A couple years later we went out of our way for a reprise......but they'd closed down and moved away...someone said that they might have gone to Bardstown....some 20 odd miles away as I recall.....so we drove there and walked around in the rain looking.....no luck.

If we knew where they relocated to, and if they were still in business, we'd find an excuse to drive down from Ontario and revisit!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My dad should have been a chef. One day, he decided to make a black forest cake from scratch.

He went out to a local farm and got some cream and got us kids to make butter. He used more cream to make whipped cream.

He marinated some cherries in Kirsch. Toasted some almonds. Then he baked a german chocolate cake from scratch. He cut each cake in half and began layering with cherries and whipped cream/almonds.

The end result was a huge cake, covered in whipped cream, chocolate shavings and more cherries.

Best thing I ever ate. I've never been able to eat purchased black forest cake since them.

We won't even talk about his apple pies...... sigh!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rocky and Carlos baked macaroni. In da parrish. I will be headed to New Orleans next month for a wedding.

heh heh heh - not mine.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
It was in the 60's. My best friend, Liz, & I used to go to Woolworth's every day after school - we were sophomores, 15 years old, pretty, and knew it. Liz was prettier than me, and so was my mentor for coolness.

We each had a hot fudge banana split - and would talk about our dreams and yearnings for the future. We figured it all out. I remember her new big yellow and pink flower pin; I showed her my new dress purchased with baby-sitting money. We lived in the here-and-now, and could see into eternity, so young and alive were we.

Little did we know what the future had in store. Liz passed away in the 70's from a drug overdose.

Somehow, I survived into today - somewhat stronger, more realistic, and wiser. I miss Liz still....
You have a powerful way with words, mary. This story resonated with me to a surprising degree. I have similar memories, but none so splendidly presented. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #47

A rattlesnake freshly killed and roasted in the deserts of Chihuahua.
Two months of Padang food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in West Sumatra.
An exquisite pasta with baby octopus dinner in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Pisa.
A breakfast of freshly baked bread, salty olives, honey, and tea in eastern Turkey.

Somehow the days and the nights that accompanied the food blend with the meals to make my memories of them more vivid!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #48

One of my most memorable food experiences was the brunch at the Marriott hotel in Hong Kong. http://www.jwmarriotthk.com/en/hotel...1_070210.htm I was on a business trip so I indulged a bit.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Throw in some homemade artisan bread (vs storebought) and you've got something special...
Isnt' it interesting that a simple thing like bread, similar to the hand made bread my mother made, is now called 'artisan'. Real Veggies, grown in one's own garden and harvested WHEN THEY ARE RIPE, are now called "heirloom'.

How times have changed!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Isnt' it interesting that a simple thing like bread, similar to the hand made bread my mother made, is now called 'artisan'. Real Veggies, grown in one's own garden and harvested WHEN THEY ARE RIPE, are now called "heirloom'.

How times have changed!
Actually there's a distinction IMO. Simply homemade from scratch does not make the product artisan, more to it than that. But homemade usually beats store-bought...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

On a commercial airline in 1980, believe it or not. I was in the last row on a 747 going from Chicago to LA. Food carts came out and then people grumbled. The meal came in a small box and I remember it as being essentially cheese and crackers. The stewardess took care of the row in front of me then left with the cart. Oh well, I thought, maybe no food is better than crap and went back to my book. Next thing I know the stewardess touches my arm to get my attention. She politely explained that they were out of coach meals and would I mind a first class meal? What made it memorable was three things: 1) Going from nothing to first class, 2) The looks the nearby passengers gave me, 3) The cheese cake was excellent.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
On a commercial airline in 1980, believe it or not. I was in the last row on a 747 going from Chicago to LA. Food carts came out and then people grumbled. The meal came in a small box and I remember it as being essentially cheese and crackers. The stewardess took care of the row in front of me then left with the cart. Oh well, I thought, maybe no food is better than crap and went back to my book. Next thing I know the stewardess touches my arm to get my attention. She politely explained that they were out of coach meals and would I mind a first class meal? What made it memorable was three things: 1) Going from nothing to first class, 2) The looks the nearby passengers gave me, 3) The cheese cake was excellent.
That story reminded of a post I made awhile back. This was going from San Francisco to Okinawa to visit our daughter. Our "non smoking" seats were not available so we were upgraded to business class. Dang! I love it when that happens. What a great flight that was.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Just remembered how much I enjoyed fresh milk stateside after a little tin can cruise in WestPac.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #54

Calmloki, and likewise, that reminded me of the way the taste and smell of percolator brewed coffee takes me instantly back to our brief liveaboard experience on the little sailboat down in the Abacos.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

So many to choose from:

a) I was recovering from typhoid fever (in Mexico) and felt the need for real food. The server brought over a plate of giant prawns, stuffed with crab meat, wrapped in bacon and bbq'd, then covered in a mild cheese. That was a meal to remember!

b) Going to my aunt's place and having hot, fresh bread with butter and a glass of cold milk. To this day, that is still my favorite snack.

I also remember my cousins saying they were jealous of us because we were so rich that we could afford WonderBread and all they had was this lousy, home-made stuff. Idiots!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Just remembered how much I enjoyed fresh milk stateside after a little tin can cruise in WestPac.
Oh yeah. When I was 18 I worked up on a dam construction in Northern Australia...........middle of nowhere....powdered milk only.

Drove south to Alice Springs, (also in the middle of nowhere), when we left the dam.....they had ice cold milk....expensive ice cold milk....but I quaffed a few glasses.....they didn't hit the sides on the way down my throat.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I also remember my cousins saying they were jealous of us because we were so rich that we could afford WonderBread and all they had was this lousy, home-made stuff. Idiots!
I was one of those idiots in elementary school. What was I thinking?