Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
A set of journals I've kept since I was 18. They've got all the great moments, all the mishaps, all the life lessons I keep forgetting ... everything of note, really.

As I was reading this thread I couldn't think of anything.

But this is probably what I would put, too.

enderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Rolex Submariner. Wife gave it to me for our 25th wedding anniversary in 1997.

JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Once past the few sentimental items -
I love my tool collection the best. Not a single tool since they work best in concert.

After traveling and downsizing several times, I am reminded of this song by Lenny Kaye ( I like the cover by Amy Rigby, but could not find it on youtube)

How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Easy for me. My Iphone. Never leaves my side. I know, a little sick. But the little thing is an never-ending source of entertainment and info. Like right now, I'm in bed typing this, DW next to me is sleeping! Ha!
Bigal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Well, if I have to tell the truth, I have a very sexy blow up doll. You may call her Ms Suzy.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Things (even "keep sakes") seem to be less and less important to me as I get older. I think it's the realization of mortality. None of the "stuff" i have hung onto has any meaning to the next generation, so it will probably be pitched upon my death. So, if I pitch it now or if it is destroyed, stolen, etc. I think I will deal with it just fine. I do have many items which remind me of family, but I also have my memories. So, "stuff" just doesn't hold the meaning it used to. I guess you could rightly say that I'm "letting go" of things - mentally if not physically. Looking back over the 6 years since our big move, we have gotten rid of (literally) tons of stuff I once thought we would keep for life. Trying to think if there is a "most precious" possession - I guess I am stumped. YMMV

My father did not have anything from my grandfather due to WWII.

I myself do not have a lot of personal stuff that's sentimental. I have a few things like my 1st driver license, my college ID, diplomas, awards, patents, etc... I will not throw them away, but the truth is that I do not know where they are in the home, as I have moved boxes around when doing remodeling. I guess I can leave them to my kids, but I am not sure they mean much to them.

Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Not talking people or places but objects...
That didn't keep me from thinking of the following 1965 song, "Viens Ma Brune (Come, my brunette)", by Adamo, a song I knew in my mid teenage years.

Viens, Ma Brune / Come, My Brunette

Viens, viens ma brune / Come, come my brunette
Viens écouter la mer /Come listen to the sea
Elle murmure à la dune / She whispers to the dune
Le chant d'un autre univers / The song from another universe
Tu sais il est passé le temps / You know, it's past the time
Où les gens nous traitaient de gosses / When people called us kids
Et si notre amour fut précoce / And if our love was early
Il n'en est que plus beau que plus pur / It is even more beautiful, more pure
Que plus vrai maintenant / And more true now
Tu es ma brune / You are my brunette
Mon bijou le plus cher / My dearest jewel
Tu es toute ma fortune / You are all my fortune
Viens écouter la mer. / Come listen to the sea.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
Photos are probably high on my list until I get them digitized, and yes, my iPhone and purse would be the first things I'd try to grab if there was a fire.

I have a few pieces of jewelry that are not valuable, but are sentimental, and probably my sewing machine, as it's old, and my parents found it at a swap meet and got it fixed for me. I also have a few original art pieces, and some collectables that were handed down to me, that I'd probably take if I had an hour to evacuate.

My highschool yearbooks used to be on the list, we did take them last time we evacuated for a fire, but now that my 20th reunion is this weekend, and I'm not even going, I think they've fallen off the list. I always thought they'd be important to me, I had a decent time in high school and was on the yearbook staff, but I have such a different group of friends now, there's only about 6 people that I've bothered to friend on facebook.

This really reminds me that I really should get rid of a lot of the crap that I have in my house.

Office Space
Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote