Join Early Retirement Today

What is your most precious possesion?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is your most precious possesion?

Not talking people or places but objects. For me it is the watch my grandfather wore. Not expensive. Don't look at it often. Just reassuring to know it is there. And it's connection to fond memories. If I still had it, it might be my old MG Midget.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I would say my dad's dog tags. I carry them with me every day.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably our old family photos. Everything else we could replace but not those. One of my projects is digitizing them for safekeeping (backed in both inside and outside of the house).
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

After the health of my family and I, nothing - it's all either replaceable or will remain memorable.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My grandfather's old, very inexpensive dominoes. He played with them every day in the last years of his life.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

If you are including pets, then it would be my three pets. (I don't consider them to be "possessions" but they are what I would grab in case of emergency or fire, etc).

If you are not including pets, then it would be family photos.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I find the fewer possessions I have, the better. I really can't think of a possession that I value above any other. I might agree about photos, but all mine are digitized now so I won't lose them. I value experiences, especially those yet to come...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

After people and the home it'd be my dog, and the dog may be before the house.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My photos are all digital too, so I haven't got to worry about those. I'd probably say my first edition copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I love the book, it came out just as I started reading and was a huge part of my life. I could buy another copy, but my frugality wouldn't let me, probably. Plus it's this copy I like. One of the earlier gifts my boyfriend got for me.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Things (even "keep sakes") seem to be less and less important to me as I get older. I think it's the realization of mortality. None of the "stuff" i have hung onto has any meaning to the next generation, so it will probably be pitched upon my death. So, if I pitch it now or if it is destroyed, stolen, etc. I think I will deal with it just fine. I do have many items which remind me of family, but I also have my memories. So, "stuff" just doesn't hold the meaning it used to. I guess you could rightly say that I'm "letting go" of things - mentally if not physically. Looking back over the 6 years since our big move, we have gotten rid of (literally) tons of stuff I once thought we would keep for life. Trying to think if there is a "most precious" possession - I guess I am stumped. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the what would you grab if the house was on fire question. Since my 7 & 1/2 novels are all saved on four different hard drives in different places, I would grab the old rabbit eared double barrel shotgun that had belonged to my great grandfather. If I had another hand I would get the two text books from the 1880's that had belonged to my great great uncle who was a school teacher here in Florida.

The whole upstairs of my house is a library and it has been overflowing for years. I am in the process of culling books right now. But all but my small [75-100 book] collection of 1700 and 1800's books could easily be replaced. Or not, as I rarely read anything printed after 1750 since I have been writing.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My most precious possession (not including pets) is probably my computer backup drive. First thing I'd grab if the house was on fire.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

*I'm stumped*....If my house was on fire, I would grab my homeowner's insurance policy and let the rest burn. I may also try to get a car in the garage before the fire gets too hot.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Administrator

I was in a fire, with DW and the kids (the Intercontinental Hotel in Caracas). After they got out safely I went back for my briefcase. The fire looked contained to a small section, we were moving and it had all our papers and critical documents.

Far and away the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life. Almost didn't make it back out. There are no possessions or things that I would ever look for or even think about in case of a fire. Find DW, the kids, and get the "ef" out, period.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #15

My iPad, my cell phone, my sons PS3, our flat screen TV, my recliner, and my guns.

Just joshing. If there was a fire then outside of my family then nothin. Well, except maybe that recliner.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
Administrator

Thread premise: What is your most precious possession
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Not talking people or places but objects. For me it is the watch my grandfather wore. Not expensive. Don't look at it often. Just reassuring to know it is there. And it's connection to fond memories. If I still had it, it might be my old MG Midget.
Precious may be situational and while I have a short list of stuff I'd hate to lose I have also been in a fire and at that moment a pair of shoes, something, anything to wear and a flashlight were at the very top of my list.

All things being equal however, perhaps my moms recipe box.. not for the actual recipes but for the memories that handling the dog-eared and stained index cards elicit. Seeing her tidy handwriting and knowing the care that she put into preparing those dishes still makes me smile and prods me to remember that family dinners are just as important now as they were when she was cooking. No calls, no TV, bring your manners to the table and be prepared to participate in the discussion....
Old 07-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can narrow it down to three:

My wedding ring;
Family Photos;
A tape recording of a conversation with my grandmother, the summer before she died (in 1985).
Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Can narrow it down to three:

My wedding ring;
Family Photos;
A tape recording of a conversation with my grandmother, the summer before she died (in 1985).
Hopefully you have made a digital copy (and backups) of that tape. Tape ages and can be hard to recover.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks, Erd50!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, Erd50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hopefully you have made a digital copy (and backups) of that tape. Tape ages and can be hard to recover.

-ERD50
As a matter of fact, I don't. Will have my husband make one. Many thanks for the suggestion!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #20

A set of journals I've kept since I was 18. They've got all the great moments, all the mishaps, all the life lessons I keep forgetting ... everything of note, really.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote