Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #1981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I still pay one monthly bill via check & snail mail, my car loan through Chase.
My previous auto loan, through a bank in Chicago, was for 5 years, & they sent me one thick coupon payment booklet, with the entire 5 years worth.

Chase, on the other hand, sends me 3 pmt coupons 4 times a year, & always waits until the last minute, let's say 5 days before the end of the quarter.
The payment is due on the 4th.

Is this a coincidence, absolutely not IMO. They hope that some people, unlike myself, will just accept the fact that they get the payment coupons too late to get the next pmt there on time, & pay a late fee.

Since I started the loan in July 2015, I call them the day I get my next quarter's paperwork, explain to them that the payment could be late due to them getting it to me so late, & also include a note with my payment repeating that.

God I hate corporate America sometimes.

FYI: I'm as certain as one can be, that many of you that just read this, were contemplating typing a response telling me to join the 21st-century & sign up for auto pay.

I'll probably end up doing that eventually, but it doesn't justify what these ******** will do to try & increase revenues.

End of PEEVE
It must be a slow day... you have it well in your control to either set up auto-pay or a monthly check from your bank with the loan number on it ... either would probably take less time than it took you to post your peeve.... and avoid the "problem" so it is hard to be sympathetic.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #1982
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It must be a slow day... you have it well in your control to either set up auto-pay or a monthly check from your bank with the loan number on it ... either would probably take less time than it took you to post your peeve.... and avoid the "problem" so it is hard to be sympathetic.
Don't recall asking for sympathy ?
The thread is titled 'what is your pet peeve of the day?
This is mine.

Must've been a bit of a slow day for you all as well, being as you took the time to read & reply to my post.

Have a great evening
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #1983
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stupidity is not a crime, so you’re free to go
I auto pay one annoying loan.

Most creditors send a paper or PDF statement, and I use those to remind me to login to checking and set up a pay date.

Being a Luddite has advantages, man.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #1984

Drivers who rush to squeeze ahead of you (when there was a bigger gap behind), and then drive below the speed limit.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #1985

Quote:
I still pay one monthly bill via check & snail mail, my car loan through Chase.
My previous auto loan, through a bank in Chicago, was for 5 years, & they sent me one thick coupon payment booklet, with the entire 5 years worth.

Chase, on the other hand, sends me 3 pmt coupons 4 times a year, & always waits until the last minute, let's say 5 days before the end of the quarter.
The payment is due on the 4th.

Is this a coincidence, absolutely not IMO. They hope that some people, unlike myself, will just accept the fact that they get the payment coupons too late to get the next pmt there on time, & pay a late fee.

Since I started the loan in July 2015, I call them the day I get my next quarter's paperwork, explain to them that the payment could be late due to them getting it to me so late, & also include a note with my payment repeating that.

God I hate corporate America sometimes.

FYI: I'm as certain as one can be, that many of you that just read this, were contemplating typing a response telling me to join the 21st-century & sign up for auto pay.

I'll probably end up doing that eventually, but it doesn't justify what these ******** will do to try & increase revenues.

End of PEEVE
Ronald Reagan was president the last time I had a car loan.

I would suggest
1) auto pay through electronic bill pay -- you do have that feature, right? or
2) auto pay through an ACH transfer (but this gives some people the heebee jeebees) or
3) auto pay through a credit card (but you have to always ensure the bank has the correct card data, as the cards do expire from time to time) or
4) just pay off the loan
Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #1986
Give me a forum ...

I've probably posted this peeve before, if not, here goes again.

My pet peeve is folks who don't finish a "conversation" in this day and age. Just now, someone messaged me on FB and asked a question. Then as I'm answering, just signed off. Grrrrr....

Sadly, other do that too.. some in mid conversation on the phone just go silent and pause several seconds and I have to ask "Are you there?"
Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #1987

Just want to vent. Not saying my statements are irrefutable. I think I even started a thread on this peeve once. The seeming inevitability of over development of any "desirable" living area, rendering it "undesirable" or at least "less desirable". Eg, your cute little town with no traffic and low real estate prices gets "discovered" by folks in nearby cities, and about 10 or 20 years later the traffic is thick, real estate prices are up (not necessarily a good thing for everyone) and therefore your taxes are up, labor rates go up, and on and on. You are left with the options of moving away at large expense and commotion in your life, or staying and b**ching about it. Thanks for listening. Just wanted to b***h about it.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #1988
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
..., real estate prices are up (not necessarily a good thing for everyone) and therefore your taxes are up, ...
This is often stated, and often it is not the case at all.

In every municipality where I've owned a home, property taxes were allocated based on home assessments, not directly based on the assessment.

For example, if the taxing body was allowed to raise taxes 5% this year, your taxes will go up by 5% regardless of whether everyone's property values doubled, halved, or stayed the same. Your taxes only double if your neighbor's values all stayed the same, but your property doubled.

Perhaps your municipality levies taxes directly on assessed value, with no adjustment (it is called "equalization factor" on my bill). But I would not assume that is the case, like so many people do.

-ERD50
Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #1989
Give me a forum ...

+1 Where I live the approved town budget divided by the grand list (total of assessed property values) is the tax rate... and the property taxes that I pay are the assessed value times the tax rate....so property taxes increase only if the total town budget increases and/or my property value increases disproportionately to the grand list. The latter is unlikely as assessed values don't change unless there is a substantial change to the property or a town-wide reassessment but the grand list does grow each year reflecting property changes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #1990
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve is folks who don't finish a "conversation" in this day and age. Just now, someone messaged me on FB and asked a question. Then as I'm answering, just signed off. Grrrrr....

Sadly, other do that too.. some in mid conversation on the phone just go silent and pause several seconds and I have to ask "Are you there?"
Sorry to hear this as it has been
Old 03-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #1991
Full time employment: Posting here.

People who take a stack of paper napkins at a fast food place, then toss them in the garbage. They know they don't need it all, but they still do it.

Americans are very very very wasteful. It drives me nuts.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #1992

Company website that forces you to enter your credit card information before they will tell you shipping cost.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Company website that forces you to enter your credit card information before they will tell you shipping cost.
Yes, that is one of mine too - and I NEVER go through with the purchase. Even if the deal might be better than at other sites.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #1994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Yes, that is one of mine too - and I NEVER go through with the purchase. Even if the deal might be better than at other sites.
Agree, I don't even like to fill out the order first. Other sites let you input a zip code only and get a shipping quote without all the BS.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #1995

I even went to the Shipping page located at the very bottom of their website just to see whether there was a chart which gave shipping cost based on the order value. There wasn't.

It turns out there is a trick to the website I was at.
Instead of clicking on the Checkout button, you need to click on the Shopping Cart icon at the top right of the web page.
Once you arrive at the web page showing what was in your shopping cart, there is a place to let you estimate shipping cost.

Hardly, intuitive is it?

Obviously, these website designers don't test their websites.

And I am hardly a newbie at this. How was I suppose to know to do one thing instead of the other?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #1996
Give me a forum ...

Products with no name or model number.

Examples:

I have a Timex Ironman. Is it a classic 50? A classic 50+? A Core 50? An Ironman Digital?

I don't know, because it doesn't say anywhere.

I have a Nexus 7. Is it the 2012 or the 2013? It doesn't say. You can go online and find out which is which,

but is there some reason they can't just put a model number or a letter on there?

My Minisuit keyboard says nothing on it but "Minisuit," the name of the manufacturer.

Curmudgeon out.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Products with no name or model number.

Examples:

I have a Timex Ironman. Is it a classic 50? A classic 50+? A Core 50? An Ironman Digital?

I don't know, because it doesn't say anywhere.

I have a Nexus 7. Is it the 2012 or the 2013? It doesn't say. You can go online and find out which is which, but is there some reason they can't just put a model number or a letter on there?

My Minisuit keyboard says nothing on it but "Minisuit," the name of the manufacturer.

Curmudgeon out.
Possibly they're trying to reduce manufacturing costs by using the same parts for different models. It cost more to change the pad printing and run smaller batches with different model numbers printed on them. One more way to squeeze out a bit more profit.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #1998
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Possibly they're trying to reduce manufacturing costs by using the same parts for different models. It cost more to change the pad printing and run smaller batches with different model numbers printed on them. One more way to squeeze out a bit more profit.
Yes, I think that's usually the reason. OTOH, the back of the Nexus is totally different. I also think that sometimes they just haven't decided on a model name yet.

Another example: I have a Huawei phone. From the About, I knew that it's lyo-l21, but I had to contact support to find out the model name so I could buy a case for it. They could have added that information to the software.

And speaking of software, even underwear doesn't have the information you need if you want to buy replacements that match.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #1999
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, I think that's usually the reason. OTOH, the back of the Nexus is totally different. I also think that sometimes they just haven't decided on a model name yet.

Another example: I have a Huawei phone. From the About, I knew that it's lyo-l21, but I had to contact support to find out the model name so I could buy a case for it. They could have added that information to the software.

And speaking of software, even underwear doesn't have the information you need if you want to buy replacements that match.
Agree, there is usually a space on the label for a specific, unique model # so you can find model specific info.

Apple was (maybe still is) terrible for this. When you try to find model info, it says stuff like "For early spring 2009 models". WTH? There are subtle internal differences between the models, we bought it around that time, I don't know if was considered 'early spring' or not, or if we bought the remaining stock of the previous model. Just give me a number that is printed on the case (oh, but that would distract from the beauty of the device!).

Then the Apple fanbois flame you, claiming you just pull down the Apple Menu and select "About this computer" - it's easy, and elegant! Right, I'm trying to troubleshot a computer that doesn't boot!

-ERD50
Old 03-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #2000
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Then the Apple fanbois flame you, claiming you just pull down the Apple Menu and select "About this computer" - it's easy, and elegant! Right, I'm trying to troubleshot a computer that doesn't boot!

-ERD50
TSK! TSK! TSK!

Your problem is easily solved, Grasshopper. You must become ONE with the computer.

You must sense the vibes it gives out (make sure it is fully warmed up) when the power is on. Booting is irrelevant. 'About this Computer' is irrelevant. The vibes are there for those who have achieved true enlightenment. Cease viewing the duality of you and the computer's existence. This separates you from each other. Instead feel the Universal truth of oneness with all (including the computer). Then you can evolve with it to become a functioning entity whose sum is greater than the parts. 'Know' this and it will happen.

Or, if you are like me and true enlightenment evades you, try this:

See if it will boot in SAFE mode or restore it from Recovery Mode (this assumes good backups are available).

https://www.howtogeek.com/217158/wha...%99t-start-up/

My Macbook had a problem with a non functioning USB port that I fixed by resetting the System Management Controller as mentioned in the article.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Closed Thread