Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve of the day is family members who try to delegate tasks to other family members for gatherings.

Mine is somewhat opposite. I go on a houseboat outing every years with some folks from my hometown. Every year, without fail, a "select" few do all the cooking and clean-up, while the rest sit on their keisters.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Mine is somewhat opposite. I go on a houseboat outing every years with some folks from my hometown. Every year, without fail, a "select" few do all the cooking and clean-up, while the rest sit on their keisters.
In my situation, the past winter, we had a family gathering (meet at a restaurant type of deal). Important to meet as we are all getting up there in age. Plus, it was sort of a goodbye for one member who retired and moved many states away. Unfortunately, not everyone was able to make it to the gathering because a snow storm hit the day before.

So over the past few days I get a call from a brother hinting about how nice it would be to have another gathering around the summer. This is from a brother who doesn't check his email or seldom gets on Facebook. And he goes "oh, and the gathering should be around his birthday", then goes on to ask about the food served at the place since his wife likes food prepared a certain way.

Since I organized the gathering last time, instead of saying "Can you do it?" I get the hint, hint feeling. All the time I say to him, "You should get on your email and Facebook more often." Finally I tell him should look at his calendar to make sure he can make it on the days he's thinking about, then float an email around the family about a gathering

Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found one. Seems a lot of papers have a list of "five things to know" or ten or some number. I never read them, just the headline is annoying enough.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve of the day is family members who try to delegate tasks to other family members for gatherings.
Are we related?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Are we related?
You too, I see
Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

I've ranted somewhere about how some web sites go with stylish grey text, making it harder to read.

The other day I got a physical book (Between the Lines), and it was unreadable because they made the text grey by reducing the number of dots in each letter:

Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #227

Are these the same "few" who decline all offers of help, because only they can do it "right"? (Plus, they are busy gossiping and don't want you to hear).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Every year, without fail, a "select" few do all the cooking and clean-up, while the rest sit on their keisters.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've ranted somewhere about how some web sites go with stylish grey text, making it harder to read.

The other day I got a physical book (Between the Lines), and it was unreadable because they made the text grey by reducing the number of dots in each letter:
Well, that ink is awfully expensive you know. Or I guess it must be.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #229
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is folks who are all to ready to give advice on how to do something but when time comes to get things done, they find a reason to throw a wrench in the plans.

The details: I've been offering advice to my sister who wants to cut the cord for her TV. So we email back and forth, me telling her what I did (different DVRs to choose from, different antennas to get). On the last email, she writes back saying they don't want to order online and instead is only looking at one antenna from Walmart because if an antenna ordered online doesn't work, her husband doesn't want to have to mail it back.

My approach now is .... "Dear sister....keep me posted" instead go going out of my way to help.

But I think either when the switch doesn't work, they'll conclude OTA sucks and stick with DirectTV or my sister will finally say, "help me" and not listen to her husband blocking her project.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #230
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is using the word 'adoption' in regards to acquiring a pet.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My pet peeve is using the word 'adoption' in regards to acquiring a pet.
But in my case, my pets adopted me
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #232

We use "adopted" for the rescue dogs in my volunteer group. What's wrong with that, Chuck? I can imagine our "Happy Tails Adoption Stories" section of the website getting a little clogged up if we headlined it "Latest Acquirers" as it lacks a certain zing!

I would add to say that I draw the line at "furbabies". I'm not crazy, after all.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We use "adopted" for the rescue dogs in my volunteer group. What's wrong with that, Chuck? ...
Hah, you hit on a related pet-pet-peeve of mine! I hate the term 'rescue dogs' - they are not St Bernards with a brandy cask going out to rescue people, they are rescued dogs. The dog was rescued by people. That makes them 'rescued dogs', not 'rescue dogs'. The people could be called 'rescue people' I guess.

And I think it is great that people look to a shelter to rescue a dog that needs a home, rather than purchase one raised to be sold (and nothing wrong with that either, if that is what you are looking for).

-ERD50
Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #234

Anybody wanna adopt/rescue a 1-eyed kitten? Found it yesterday, in the bushes beside my house. I'll send it out by Petsovernight.com!

On a serious note, it's not abandoned, as the mother is around, and very protective of it and its two siblings, both of which have all their eyes. We've been trying to get the mother friendly enough to domesticate, so that she'll be more adoptable.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #235

Erd, I guess the thought process has been that the dogs "belong" to the rescue, hence they are "rescue dogs". Like I would be called the "Smith kid" as I belonged to my parents. Though that is just a guess, I don't rock the boat for our particular group, but stick to my knitting which is paying the bill and keeping us in good with Uncle Sam. Until you brought it up, it never occurred to me that it is an odd usage. For the record, Border Collies are teetotalers, and would never be willing to bring you brandy, or even a cold beer on a hot day!

Andre, you are so kind to help these little guys out, and their mamma.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #236

I know it's not the same but when I hear "rescue" dogs, I think of "search and rescue" dogs.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #237

I think they usually refer to the search dogs as SAR dogs, to make clear they are working pups.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

Back to back meetings at work, scheduled for the full hour. No time for being on time if next meeting is in a different area of the building or going to the restroom or gathering your thoughts.
Probably 50 or 55-minute meetings would be much better.

Also, when you get to the new meeting location and the previous team is still trying to get some items discussed even if their time in that room is over. People that are calling in remotely into your meeting just think you are late, when in fact the other team is preventing you from starting.

Seems like self-inflicted damage for the Dilbert crowd.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder View Post
Back to back meetings at work, scheduled for the full hour. No time for being on time if next meeting is in a different area of the building or going to the restroom or gathering your thoughts.
Probably 50 or 55-minute meetings would be much better.

Also, when you get to the new meeting location and the previous team is still trying to get some items discussed even if their time in that room is over. People that are calling in remotely into your meeting just think you are late, when in fact the other team is preventing you from starting.

Seems like self-inflicted damage for the Dilbert crowd.
+1. The stupid thing about this is that most meetings if organized, prepared, and run right do not need full 60 minutes.

My pet peeves of the day ... psychopath, sociopath posters (not this forum, but others which are not well moderated) who uses forums to attack others.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We use "adopted" for the rescue dogs in my volunteer group. What's wrong with that, Chuck?
It seems very insensitive to the feelings of adopted children as well as their adopted parents.