What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A newspaper that apparently is vying for the championship of typos is The Times (of Trenton, NJ). Not just the 'wear' vs 'where' errors that are everywhere, but obviously misspelled words, like 'watr' instead of 'water'. Completely mind-blowing. And these typos are in the bold print headlines! At least one per week. No one seems to care there.

Not saying they are not typos, but I remember listening to someone on TV about headlines.... they said that they take liberty with things in order to make them bigger... so taking out letters or words for a shorter headline is common......

Now that we are mostly digital, might not be the same...

Continuing peeve. The ripoff of old folks by ****bags. My mother who is 94 keeps getting 'mistake' bills for medical things. A recent one was for $3,600 for a dermatologist visit for surgery. Luckily I was there to help her make all the anxiety wracked phone calls here and there. They finally admitted it was a 'mistake' and that my mom did not have to pay it. How many old folks just get out the checkbook and pay, being afraid to speak up?

That's not a mistake... it's fraud. :mad::mad:

A newspaper that apparently is vying for the championship of typos is The Times (of Trenton, NJ). Not just the 'wear' vs 'where' errors that are everywhere, but obviously misspelled words, like 'watr' instead of 'water'. Completely mind-blowing. And these typos are in the bold print headlines! At least one per week. No one seems to care there.

Perhaps it's not that they don't care but that they don't know the difference. :facepalm: :LOL:

On Wednesday, went to the Apple store. New exactly what Macbook Pro I was buying. Spoke to the nice greeter and told him that I just wanted to give them my credit card, get the computer and go. He said it was really busy (8 pm Wednesday) and that it would be at least a 20 minute wait. Strange business model. Also had an interesting discussion with the salesperson when I did finally get one but that was just gravy.

If you already knew which computer you wanted, why didn’t you order it online? I seem to remember doing that when I bought my MacBook Air in 2012 (still no problems).

A few reasons. First I knew they had the computer in stock and in theory I could have walked out with it right then rather than waiting for shipping. Second, I wouldn't have had to worry about the shipping guys bouncing it around or the shipping company refusing to leave it at the house or someone stealing the $2000 package off the porch. Third, I wouldn't have to put my credit card info into the wind online. Fourth, I get an academic discount and it is easier to get at the store. Fifth, I don't have to fill out a bunch of other information online. Sixth, I was at the mall anyway and like dropping into the store sometimes. I could probably come up with a couple more if I thought about it. :)

Tim, there may be retired Illinois attorneys on this site who can advise on how to get your money back.

Your story peeves me (see how I dodged the forum thread police there? :)) because Auctioneers, like pawn brokers and used car dealers, know damn well that they're a popular venue for thieves trying to sell stolen property, and have a duty to take reasonable care to avoid this. Those Auctioneers agreed to sell a tractor with all the hallmarks of theft: essentially new, a third of the going price, all the serial numbers scraped off. If they failed to notice this, or noticed it and failed to check whether it was stolen, they severely breached their duty. If they suspected it was stolen, they exhibited reckless disregard by selling it to you. If they knew it was stolen they are criminal co-conspirators.

Last edited:
Pop-ups are great.

My favorite experience involves opening a web page and getting a question about cookies. I click to get rid of that, and a windows asks if I want to allow notifications from the site. I click No, and I get a window checking, do I want to share my location? Thanks for asking, but no. I then get a ten-page privacy agreement that I read carefully and agree to. The next pop-up lets me know that I have an ad-blocker running. Do I want to stop using that? No.

Finally, I start reading the page, and a really cute pop-up ("Sign up for our newsletter?") slides out and jiggles playfully, just in case I missed it.

At that point, I've usually forgotten why I visited the site in the first place. It probably wasn't important, anyway.

Yeah, pop-ups are great.

Isn't it fun Al when you close your browser and find all of these sneaky little pop-ups (actually pop-unders) that were hiding under your browser? What the heck were they doing there all that time? Spying on me?

Latest Pet Peeve

Amazon messaging service. :mad:

I am getting bombarded with messages on my phone and in my email from them asking if I am interested in the "suggested" product, want to by a "home service", etc, etc.:mad:

I went into my account and found the messaging options and turned them all off but that has not stopped the barrage of junk. :( If they keep this crap up, I will call them (if I can find a phone number) and threaten to cancel Prime.

The post office on tax day, I couldn’t believe how many people are filing by mail still, I thought i’d be one of very few but the line was out the door.

Which brings up another peeve, you can’t find tax forms anywhere, used to be able to get them at the post office and libraries but now you have to go to the IRS office and they don’t even have all of them on hand, then you order them online and they don’t have them either:confused:

The post office on tax day, I couldn’t believe how many people are filing by mail still, I thought i’d be one of very few but the line was out the door.

Which brings up another peeve, you can’t find tax forms anywhere, used to be able to get them at the post office and libraries but now you have to go to the IRS office and they don’t even have all of them on hand, then you order them online and they don’t have them either:confused:[/QUOT

If you don't use software all the forms are available for download on the IRS web site. just go to forms and instructions and select the form or instructions you want. No need to pick them up, they come as pdfs. Now of course if you use tax software you don't even need this.

Which brings up another peeve, you can’t find tax forms anywhere, used to be able to get them at the post office and libraries but now you have to go to the IRS office and they don’t even have all of them on hand, then you order them online and they don’t have them either:confused:
Cause nobody uses paper forms anymore. Read your post.[emoji23]

My IRS office will print them off for you. Max of 2 copies per form. Of course you have to wait in line with a numbered ticket. And you're right, half of the bins for the forms are empty but have a notice inside instructing you to to irs.gov to get the form !

Address Labels: About 3.5 years ago, I started making annual contributions to St. Jude's children's research, & the March of Dimes. At the time, I may have had as many as 200 labels from other organizations that I had contributed to in the past.

Earlier this week, I decided to start cleaning out the bottom drawer of my file cabinet. I now have 2,071 labels. I'll make a call & try to opt out.

The 'new' usage (misuse, imho) of the word 'inform'. Why, for God's sake? Example : The XYZ Journey is a trauma informed program integrating restorative, holistic blah, blah, blah.

Sitting in the waiting room at the vet waiting for cat’s fluids to be done. Only two other people but one is BELLOWING at the top of his lungs with chit chat, including how cats with kidney disease should just be put down. Shut up! Shut up! :mad:

Sitting in the GM dealership for a recall on my truck to be done. Only an hour job they said a couple hours ago.

Nice lounge, I can hear pop on the radio and a boring TV show. Oh yeah 3 salespeople are calling potential customers.

Go to a website to research or buy something and there is a popup before you can even enter the website to "like us on facebook, etc."
How do I know if I like you? I haven't even gotten to your darn website yet.
I guess the current cool thing is to "like" something, but darn-it my likes matter! I don't just give them away unless it is meaningful to me.

Small dog owners (it's always small dogs)

What makes them think other people want to listen to their precious little Fifi "yip, yip, yip" all day and all night at the top of their lungs.

Get a real dog. Train it.

:mad:

p.s. Fifi doesn't speak bl**dy English. Cooing and saying over and over again "please be quiet Fifi" is about as effective as pi**ing into a hurricane.

Highway signs today were reading "Reign in your horsepower -- Slow Down".

If you're going to put something out where thousands of people have to read it every day, is it asking too much to use rein and reign correctly? Apparently so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom