Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My current. Pet peeve. Is people who break up their sentences. Into much smaller sentences. That are not even full sentences. In a strange attempt. To create emphasis.

That is all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My current. Pet peeve. Is people who break up their sentences. Into much smaller sentences. That are not even full sentences. In a strange attempt. To create emphasis.

That is all.
Tough.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #283

Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry MT. Do that all the time. Not a twitterer!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sorry MT. Do that all the time. Not a twitterer!
That post of yours, Meadbh, was fine. I'm not talking about shortened sentences such as the ones you used - I'm talking about the insertion of periods into sentences in such a way as to interrupt the cadence and natural flow of the thought.

This. Is what. I'm talking. About.

It seems to be something that kids under 35 do. I think it's supposed to be hip and cool but as I am well over 35, it is a secret that I cannot possibly ever be allowed in on.

If I were to start a blog, fill it with partial sentences like that, and get a few tattoos, I would be cool. But I'm not going to, so I won't ever be.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm talking about the insertion of periods into sentences in such a way as to interrupt the cadence and natural flow of the thought.

This. Is what. I'm talking. About.
Understand Tom.

In my part time work, I sometimes I review technical reports before they go to clients. These are all written by engineers (I am one too). There are two areas that get under my skin and don't ever seem to get corrected on the next reports:

1. Incomplete sentences (like no verb?)

2. Paragraph long sentences with rolling thoughts and no conclusions (rambling without punctuation, etc). (We have a senior Geologist that will fill a page with words, use commas here and there, and never use a period).

I am far from being an English major but seem to be a cut above the group. Then again, some of the stuff I see coming from our clients isn't much better.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #287

Quote:

That is all.
Acronyms, acronyms, acronyms. FWIIW, similar post as this were already posted in this thread but this one deserves another billing. LOL.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #288
Administrator

Quote:

That is all.
Not a big Hemmingway fan?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not a big Hemmingway fan?
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I am not a literary person at all. I read reference and editorial content, but not works of fiction (well, hardly ever). Perhaps this explains my rather buttoned-down approach to grammar.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #290
Administrator

No need to be embarrassed. Everyone is different. Hemmingway wrote in short sentences.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #291

Understood. I bet his sentences still made sense though. A regular, and not choppy cadence.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #292
Administrator

You are correct. His sentences were short. The harmony was masterful.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #293
Give me a forum ...

I had a chat yesterday with my pianist about authors. Our current top three.

His were Salinger, Vonnegut, and Fitzgerald.

I agreed, except Steinbeck instead of Vonnegut (who I am not familiar with). But Hemingway got the nod from both of us.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I worked with a guy like this. We were in the same building, but I didn't know him personally. Every day he pulled his Jeep up to a handicapped spot in front of the building and strolled on in. He had no discernible handicap. I was always skeptical, but never said anything.

I was very grateful that I'd kept my mouth shut when I saw him at a company picnic in shorts and a T-shirt. His shorts gave me a great view of his full prosthetic leg.
I thought that the parking spaces were meant for those with breathing/walking/pain problems. If your coworker can "stroll" without pain then why is he parking in the handicap space? Don't know anyone with a prosthetic leg; are they painful?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I thought that the parking spaces were meant for those with breathing/walking/pain problems. If your coworker can "stroll" without pain then why is he parking in the handicap space? Don't know anyone with a prosthetic leg; are they painful?
I have a titanium hip implant and don't even know it's there (but it's not anywhere like a whole leg device)! I would guess the plastic leg may not be painful once one has had it for a while. (speculation)

I have no handicap status and don't need it. Maybe the person referenced in the thread is using up the time left on his handicap plaque?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #296
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That is all.
Happens.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #297
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I never asked. It seems to me that someone missing a limb (even if they've adapted to the loss well) is exactly who those spots were meant for.

Just guessing, but I imagine one might have good and bad days with a condition like that (just like any other physical malady). This was also nearly 20 years ago, and I think the technology on the prosthetics has improved since then, so they're probably lighter and more comfortable these days.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Based on the experience of a couple of friends, it varies. The type of fitting, how long it's been since the last time the device was fitted, and the distance walked are all factors. One fellow uses a suction fitting that was custom molded as part of an above-knee prosthetic leg with the fancy articulated knee and ankle pieces, and he can hike for hours right now. That's a pretty expensive leg, though, and after a couple of years it may not be as easy to use until a new fitting is molded for him. Another old veteran has an LC Knee prosthetic, which is pretty minimal. It works well enough to get him out of the car and to a grocery cart to lean on, but he won't be marching in any parades.

I'd suggest giving a person that relies on an artificial leg a pass.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #299
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I had a chat yesterday with my pianist about authors. Our current top three.

His were Salinger, Vonnegut, and Fitzgerald.

I agreed, except Steinbeck instead of Vonnegut (who I am not familiar with). But Hemingway got the nod from both of us.
Kurt Vonnegut has (had) a unique style and slant on American life. His stories can make you laugh at the thought of dying. If, by any chance, you might like to sample his works, get "Welcome to the Monkey House". It's short stories and can be taken in small bites. One of his best works, IMO, in "Slaughterhouse Five" written about his experience as a POW during WWII, where he was in Dresden during the fire bombings. (Now who but Kurt could make you laugh at that experience)?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
Kurt Vonnegut has (had) a unique style and slant on American life. His stories can make you laugh at the thought of dying. If, by any chance, you might like to sample his works, get "Welcome to the Monkey House". It's short stories and can be taken in small bites. One of his best works, IMO, in "Slaughterhouse Five" written about his experience as a POW during WWII, where he was in Dresden during the fire bombings. (Now who but Kurt could make you laugh at that experience)?

Thanks! I'll put Vonnegut on my reading list. I did a multi-year project with a sharp guy from TU (Technical University) Dresden and learned of what the city went through during the war.

Closed Thread