Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #3161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Seems some folks do not buy the optional turn signals for their cars.
Early in my career I was a migrant nuclear worker and moved to a new area every year or so. Invariably someone would warn me to “be careful; nobody uses turn signals around here.”
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #3162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
BS had a story about microscopic pieces of plastic in bottled water:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/2...-water-tested/

The question they don't answer: Does the plastic just pass through you? Is it totally benign or not?

Another site says, "The consequences of these findings for human health are unknown." CBS should have said that.
I think it is because the consequences have not been studied. But then why report it?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #3163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Invariably someone would warn me to “be careful; nobody uses turn signals around here.”
When my late wife & I first moved to Salt Spring Island in B.C., we were told, by someone who relocated to there about a year earlier, of following an older lifetime island resident who suddenly and without warning turned into a driveway..........when confronted, the islander replied "Well, everybody knows I live here".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #3164
Give me a forum ...

Went shopping for some stuff today. Spent over an hour loading up a half-full cart. Left cart and went to restroom (short few minutes) before getting ready to pay and leave. Upon returning, my cart was nowhere to be found. What? Can't even take a pee break now without the cart being taken away?

I ended up just buying a couple of things I intended to buy and no more. Either this was an odd incidence or a bad store policy.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #3165

Apparently, after many years in the Girl Scouts, I still cannot make a decent fire in the fireplace.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #3166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Exactly. So, nobody at CBS thought of that?

Okay, one other example: CBS had a story about microscopic pieces of plastic in bottled water:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/2...-water-tested/

The question they don't answer: Does the plastic just pass through you? Is it totally benign or not?

Another site says, "The consequences of these findings for human health are unknown." CBS should have said that.
Isn't that why we have a liver?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #3167

Our local Kroger has started using hand-held scanners where you are supposed to scan everything as you go and pay for it at the self-serve checkout. I haven't tried it yet, but based on my experience with the self-scanners I'm not optimistic.

My peeve is that they also got rid of all the express lanes and put in additional self-service checkout lanes. Today, the lines at the regular checkouts were all too long so against my better judgment I used one of the self-service checkouts.

BAD idea! As usual, the dang thing locked up on me at least three times because it thought I had placed something in the bagging area when I hadn't. Each time, I get the "attendant called" message and I have to stand there while the poor guy's helping somebody else with the same problem. And I have to scan at a rate probably 1/10th that at which I see the cashiers doing, likely because it's weighing each item in the bagging area to make sure it doesn't think I'm stealing something.

Maybe next time I will give one of the hand-held scan-as-you-go doohickeys a try. But this whole thing is an attempt to push more of the customer service duties onto the customer.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #3168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our local Kroger has started using hand-held scanners where you are supposed to scan everything as you go and pay for it at the self-serve checkout. I haven't tried it yet, but based on my experience with the self-scanners I'm not optimistic.

My peeve is that they also got rid of all the express lanes and put in additional self-service checkout lanes. Today, the lines at the regular checkouts were all too long so against my better judgment I used one of the self-service checkouts.

BAD idea! As usual, the dang thing locked up on me at least three times because it thought I had placed something in the bagging area when I hadn't. Each time, I get the "attendant called" message and I have to stand there while the poor guy's helping somebody else with the same problem. And I have to scan at a rate probably 1/10th that at which I see the cashiers doing, likely because it's weighing each item in the bagging area to make sure it doesn't think I'm stealing something.

Maybe next time I will give one of the hand-held scan-as-you-go doohickeys a try. But this whole thing is an attempt to push more of the customer service duties onto the customer.
This frankly annoys me no end. I've decided I want nothing to do with it. There is no upside for me at all to do their work for them. It's quite enough that I too often have to bag my own groceries; doing my own cashiering or using the frimpin' hand-held (produce is a real pain) and bagging as I go is just too much aggravation. I may be retired, but if you want me to do something that takes my time and effort, you'll have to pay me.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #3169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
I may be retired, but if you want me to do something that takes my time and effort, you'll have to pay me.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #3170
Give me a forum ...

I, too, see no advantage to a scan-as-I-go setup. And if I saw a huge line at checkout due to elimination of live cashier's and regular self-serve checkout, I'd abandon the cart right there and go somewhere else to shop. "Sorry, I can't stay here for this. The ice cream and steaks are at the bottom, sorry."
Methinks even the thickest innovation obsessed management will get the clue when they are spending more restocking items left by irate customers than they would have paid cashiers.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #3171

Oh, and on top of my scanning peeve, I have to continually dodge the workers picking internet grocery orders with their huge carts.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #3172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our local Kroger has started using hand-held scanners where you are supposed to scan everything as you go and pay for it at the self-serve checkout. I haven't tried it yet, but based on my experience with the self-scanners I'm not optimistic. .....
Scanning as you go doesn't appeal to me but I do like the way they do it at some checkouts at BJ's... you leave everything in the cart and just scan each item with a handheld scanner after scanning your membership card... that approach works really well in my experience.

Then I just walk the cart to the car an put the items in bags that I keep in the trunk.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #3173
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Went shopping for some stuff today. Spent over an hour loading up a half-full cart. Left cart and went to restroom (short few minutes) before getting ready to pay and leave. Upon returning, my cart was nowhere to be found. What? Can't even take a pee break now without the cart being taken away?
I was at Costco in the checkout and discovered that my membership had expired. Went to their desk and took 10 minutes to get two new ones (luckily DW was there to get her picture taken), and returned to find the cart intact at the end of the nearest isle.

I think the wide variety of self-checkout solutions indicates that no one has found an acceptable solution yet. In Walmart in Mexico, express checkout is a single line for 6 or 8 cashiers. Seems to work great.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #3174

It was cold, wet, and windy here today. What the hell is up with that?!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #3175
Moderator Emeritus

I received four text messages from four different campaigns telling me who to vote for in yesterday's primary. Gah. There's no escape from marketers.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #3176
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I received four text messages from four different campaigns telling me who to vote for in yesterday's primary. Gah. There's no escape from marketers.
Were the texts in English or Russian?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #3177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Were the texts in English or Russian?
Not picking up on Russian accents . Here's one of them: "This is Jessica with Team JB! The primary election is just around the corner-can we count on your vote for JB and Juliana?" Go away, textbots.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #3178
Give me a forum ...

I love scanners, they save me a lot of time.

I love food and I love "spur of the moment" inspirations. A lot of times I will go to the grocery to buy a lb of burger and a couple of rolls (or similar) and instead of waiting behind people with full carts I just breeze through the scanner. Don't even need a bag I have so little.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #3179

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I love scanners, they save me a lot of time.

I love food and I love "spur of the moment" inspirations. A lot of times I will go to the grocery to buy a lb of burger and a couple of rolls (or similar) and instead of waiting behind people with full carts I just breeze through the scanner. Don't even need a bag I have so little.
I'm the same way. I never buy more than I can easily carry to the car, so I never need a shopping cart, just a hand basket. And I always use the self-checkout lane. I visit the supermarket at least two or three times a week for these small loads.

Haven't seen the handheld scanners you carry around the store yet, but for the few things I buy at a time I don't think it would be a problem for me.
not a pet peeve, but one that I found a solution to
Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #3180
Moderator Emeritus

not a pet peeve, but one that I found a solution to

We have been using Walmart grocery online to place orders. Convenient and I can find anything in the store, including non-grocery items, on the site. I place the order and pick a time when to pick it up. They text or e-mail me at the start of the hour time I picked. The store is a mile away and I just drive down to the designated area and they load the items (pre-bagged) in the back of the car.

Works great and no searching the store for items and using scanners, etc. I do the shopping since DW can't do it anymore.

There are times when I go get a few items in person and deal with the stores.