Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #3201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But now I know that next time, I will check “no substitutes”.
Good tip. I'd be saying to myself: If I had wanted that brand, I would have ordered it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #3202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Good tip. I'd be saying to myself: If I had wanted that brand, I would have ordered it.
That’s exactly what I said to myself. The delivery person (who reviewed the invoice with me) said he would take it back and get me a refund, but I decided that was unnecessary for an error that was mine. They had, after all, just acted according to my instructions.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #3203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Then vs. Than -- they sound similar but they are different.

https://writingexplained.org/then-vs-than-difference
Wears the problem with than and then. Its not as though it is common.
And it usually does not effect anything. Your being silly.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #3204
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve today is this tracking ad that I keep getting despite opting out more than once on AdChoice. It is a shoe company (NewChic) and maybe they sell clothes too. The shoes look really nice but they almost never have them in my size. Many of the shoe descriptions include terms like "Good Cow Leather". I did find a shoe in my size that I liked once and actually placed an order, but my size was backordered for 3 months. After three months they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I guess that order is one reason they continue to stalk.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #3205
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That’s exactly what I said to myself. The delivery person (who reviewed the invoice with me) said he would take it back and get me a refund, but I decided that was unnecessary for an error that was mine. They had, after all, just acted according to my instructions.
I think you’re being too hard on yourself. At most an oversight, but no error. After all, a non-organic product really isn’t a substitute for an organic one, and the grocer knows that.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #3206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Then vs. Than -- they sound similar but they are different.

https://writingexplained.org/then-vs-than-difference
Loose you're arrogance about this.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #3207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Loose you're arrogance about this.
One that I just noticed on another site: "You can wonder around town" (this twice in one para so I presume it's not a typo).

Was tempted to ask "While you're speculating, are you getting anywhere?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #3208

Haha! Especially when reading an article about "whatever" subject by a so-called journalist I often have to stop and ask myself "what the heck did he just say?" Do they ever employ proofreaders?
In my limited experience as a freelance proofreader one thing I've discovered is that it is difficult to proofread your own writing. You know what you meant to write and often can't see the mistakes you wrote. Too many people rely on spell check to correct their writings. Which often leads to a different problem.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #3209

I had a pet peeve for Monday and one for Wednesday so here you go.

On Monday I had to go into the big city core as part of a little consulting thing I was doing so decided to take the commuter train. Got on at the first stop so lots of seats. Within a minute or two it was apparent that the guy a few seats away was going to spend the trip trying to cough up a lung. So I moved to the other end of the car. Third stop a lady sits down opposite me and commences coughing. At least the guy had a hanky. The woman not covering up at all. So moved again. Wound up with a probably viral sore throat on Thursday. Not bad but still. Take the day off or drive or wear a mask!

On Wednesday, went to the Apple store. New exactly what Macbook Pro I was buying. Spoke to the nice greeter and told him that I just wanted to give them my credit card, get the computer and go. He said it was really busy (8 pm Wednesday) and that it would be at least a 20 minute wait. Strange business model. Also had an interesting discussion with the salesperson when I did finally get one but that was just gravy.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #3210
Recycles dryer sheets

People who look at me and assume:

1) I'm a shrinking violet
2) I'm younger and or less intelligent than they are
3) I'm young and sweet and they want to therefore pat me on the head and say something like, aww, aren't you sweet
4) that I'm someone's wife, and I'm waiting on the beach, at the restaurant, on the trail, on the slope, for my husband to return

None of these things are true. And I'm tired of the arrogance of people to assume these things about me.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #3211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
People who look at me and assume:

1) I'm a shrinking violet
2) I'm younger and or less intelligent than they are
3) I'm young and sweet and they want to therefore pat me on the head and say something like, aww, aren't you sweet
4) that I'm someone's wife, and I'm waiting on the beach, at the restaurant, on the trail, on the slope, for my husband to return

None of these things are true. And I'm tired of the arrogance of people to assume these things about me.
People generally assume I'm older and less intelligent than they are - and they're usually correct.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #3212

Peeve of the decade: After all the hundreds of years that corrective lenses have been made, I cannot get a bifocal lens that has zero correction for the near vision part of the lens.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #3213
Give me a forum ...

Folks who like to sit in public places and sing along to the radio. Really you don't sound like you should sing in public.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Folks who like to sit in public places and sing along to the radio. Really you don't sound like you should sing in public.
Whenever my father heard me singing he would say "You really should be on the radio. Then I could shut you off."
Old 03-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #3215

There also seems to be a trend of clueless people using speakerphone while walking in public, so loud I have to raise my voice for DW to hear me. I once followed an entire conversation from half a block down the street.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #3216

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Whenever my father heard me singing he would say "You really should be on the radio. Then I could shut you off."
Or, “Who sings that song? [answer]. Then why don’t you just keep letting them sing it?”
Old 03-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #3217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Haha.

I'm fantasizing about how that would have played out with a stranger in an auto dealership. Probably best it remains a fantasy.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #3218

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
There also seems to be a trend of clueless people using speakerphone while walking in public ...
A few years back, an atty did this on the commuter train I was riding on. He was talking about a pending case and providing all kinds of confidential details about it to whoever he was talking to -- and to many of us in the train car. It quickly became clear to me that the client whose case he was discussing was my employer.

Perhaps I should have tapped him on the shoulder and told him to put a cork in it. Instead, I went to the office the next day and spoke to the atty managing the case.

Not surprisingly, she was not amused and I'm sure that indiscrete atty got an earful from her.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #3219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
On Wednesday, went to the Apple store. New exactly what Macbook Pro I was buying. Spoke to the nice greeter and told him that I just wanted to give them my credit card, get the computer and go. He said it was really busy (8 pm Wednesday) and that it would be at least a 20 minute wait. Strange business model. Also had an interesting discussion with the salesperson when I did finally get one but that was just gravy.
If you already knew which computer you wanted, why didn’t you order it online? I seem to remember doing that when I bought my MacBook Air in 2012 (still no problems).
Old 03-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #3220
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate it when auctioneers sell stolen tractors.
Closed Thread