Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #3261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
i agree. Also for me this pet peeve extends even further. It seems like some people have little or no empathy for others in different situations from their own. We all have problems and obstacles to overcome, and some people face obstacles that are so difficult (like the handicapped person who needs that parking spot and then gets a nasty note for using it, adding more to their already tough burden that day).

When we were kids, people talked about not criticizing someone until we had "walked a mile in his moccasins". I don't hear that phrase as much any more as i once did.

IMG_0472.JPG

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #3262
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
People who criticize people with handicap stickers . How do they know who is handicapped and who is not ? Lot's of people have handicaps that are not visible and have to deal with jerks who glare or make remarks or even leave notes. Seriously just thank God you are able and move on.

I think Iíve shared this anecdote before, but 20 years ago, I worked at a company with a facilities guy who drove an old Jeep CJ with a handicap plate. This guy did all kinds of what Iíd call light manual labor, and I always thought it was very strange that he had the placard and used handicapped spots at work, when he was clearly not limited physically.

Our annual company picnic was on a warm summer day, and he arrived wearing shorts, which nicely showed off his below-the-knee prosthetic leg. Very glad I kept my thoughts to myself, and a good reminder that you just donít know what anybody else may be going through.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #3263
Moderator Emeritus

We see this kind of stuff all over Texas (big truck country):

ecl5wsq.jpg
Old 05-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #3264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I just wish with my bad back and heart disease I could get one. When I see someone get out of a sports cars and jog into a store, I suspect they are using one intended for another family member.
I do get frustrated when we canít find a handicapped parking spot when with my nephew, who is wheelchair bound with spina bifida and only has one leg. Heís also waiting for a kidney transplant.
Heart disease usually qualifies a person for a permit. Check with your doctor and if he says you don't qualify then be glad you aren't that bad off yet.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #3265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
People who criticize people with handicap stickers . How do they know who is handicapped and who is not ? Lot's of people have handicaps that are not visible and have to deal with jerks who glare or make remarks or even leave notes. Seriously just thank God you are able and move on.
I'm 38 and look mid-20's so I get looks a lot when I use mine. I have rather advanced avacular necrosis and have considerable pain with every step I take with my left leg. Sometimes I tough it out and go into the store without my cane or crutch and use the shopping cart as a walker. If I do that I get glares every time. Almost makes me look forward to having the total hip replacement in 2 weeks so I will have to use a crutch or cane so they see why I am in a handicap spot.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #3266

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We see this kind of stuff all over Texas (big truck country):

Attachment 28441
lol I didn't realize that it was parked in a handicapped space (or two). I thought the ridiculous truck itself was the pet peeve.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #3267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
........................... I thought the ridiculous truck itself was the pet peeve.
Living in semi-rural Washington state, those ridiculous trucks are a pet peeve. Jacked up, windows blacked out, aggressive (noisy) tires and an 8" tailpipe with minimal muffling area a sure sign to me of an idiot driver.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #3268
Give me a forum ...

OK... I get a two fer today....

First, people who do not think parking spaces are for them.... first time was a few days ago when a pickup with a trailer parked in front of the Home Depot near the front door.... nobody in the truck... blocking cross traffic which was worse with people walking back and forth... then today at the tire store.... guy parks in front of the door blocking off people wanting to get out and also blocking people from backing up to get out....

The second is just seconds later.... people who drive the wrong way to get to a driveway that is 40 to 50 yards down... this is a 4 lane road with a concrete median at this location... but with a turn lane a bit farther down.... I almost hit a guy that was driving the wrong way as I was turning right and looking left (and yes, I did look right at first and he was not there).... blew my horn at him and he gets mad at me!!! Really? If I had not stopped quickly you would have been responsible for a wreck...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #3269

My pet peeve today is a common one, and which has likely been mentioned in this thread already: inconsiderate cellphone users.

It's an absolutely beautiful day here today, so the DW and I went out for breakfast at one of our favorite spots. Incredibly, their outdoor patio was empty, so at first we had it to ourselves.

Soon a couple of other folks chose to be seated outside. One of them, an older man by himself, sits down and promptly makes a call on his cell -- using the speakerphone! Not only did we have to listen to him, we got to listen to the guy on the other end of the line too.

Inconsiderate does not begin to address how rude I think that was.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #3270

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
My pet peeve today is a common one, and which has likely been mentioned in this thread already: inconsiderate cellphone users.

It's an absolutely beautiful day here today, so the DW and I went out for breakfast at one of our favorite spots. Incredibly, their outdoor patio was empty, so at first we had it to ourselves.

Soon a couple of other folks chose to be seated outside. One of them, an older man by himself, sits down and promptly makes a call on his cell -- using the speakerphone! Not only did we have to listen to him, we got to listen to the guy on the other end of the line too.

That's what we call "freedom" in the U.S.A. And if you don't like it then it you don't know how to get along with other people. At least that's what the message seems to be.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
That's what we call "freedom" in the U.S.A. And if you don't like it then it you don't know how to get along with other people. At least that's what the message seems to be.
I am with CoolRich on this one. Just because someone has the "freedom" to do something and it is not illegal, that does not mean the act is necessarily in good taste and should not offend anybody -- especially in this case because the guy originated the call.

What if someone sat at the next table and ripped a big loud stinking fart, then proceeded to dig the wax out of his ears then decided his fingernails needed cleaning and trimming right there? Freedom to do those things? Sure, but rude? Maybe so.

People get cut off in traffic all the time and it is legal, but is it rude?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #3272
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post

I have started just openly staring and eavesdropping at people who are rude on their cell phones. If they notice, they usually quiet the convo down or leave the area. If they donít, at least I amused myself a bit.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #3273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I am with CoolRich on this one. Just because someone has the "freedom" to do something and it is not illegal, that does not mean the act is necessarily in good taste and should not offend anybody -- especially in this case because the guy originated the call.

What if someone sat at the next table and ripped a big loud stinking fart, then proceeded to dig the wax out of his ears then decided his fingernails needed cleaning and trimming right there? Freedom to do those things? Sure, but rude? Maybe so.

Thanks Rustward. You said it better than I could have.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #3274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have started just openly staring and eavesdropping at people who are rude on their cell phones. If they notice, they usually quiet the convo down or leave the area. If they donít, at least I amused myself a bit.
Yes, I've done that as well and it is fun. But, I seemed to have upped the game bit. I now occasionally start to discuss whatever the cell phone person is talking about loudly enough so the rude phone person hears it. This technique works well if you're with someone. It really works well if your not with someone.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #3275

Quote:

To clarify: I am with CoolRich on this one too
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #3276
Give me a forum ...

Didn't take long to get another....

Health insurance rules!!!! (big surprise here )

Went to pick up some pills for DW after dental surgery... giving her antibiotics since her last bone graft did not take... a total of 30 to be taken....

BUT, insurance limits that number to 20 per order!!! REALLY? Like we are trying to corner the market on antibiotics? SOOOO, in a few days we have to reorder to get the remaining 10 pills.... and also make another copay....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #3277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
BUT, insurance limits that number to 20 per order!!! REALLY? Like we are trying to corner the market on antibiotics? SOOOO, in a few days we have to reorder to get the remaining 10 pills.... and also make another copay....
REALLY bad policy. I wonder how many people living paycheck-to-paycheck just don't pick up the last 10 because they're feeling better and want to save the second copay and then the infection returns but is resistant to the previous antibiotic.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #3278

Quote:
What if someone sat at the next table and ripped a big loud stinking fart, then proceeded to dig the wax out of his ears then decided his fingernails needed cleaning and trimming right there?
That would make me think I had gone back to w*rk in the cube farm.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #3279

Online recipes- I realize the abundance of free online cooking recipes is a wonderful thing, but with so many of them, getting to the recipe is torture.
First the person posting rambles on with some irrelevant, self-indulgent discursive text about them, their relationship with the food or maybe not- a Rachel Maddow-like meandering reflection punctuated by not helpful photos. Finally at the end you get the actual recipe or even worse a link to the actual recipe.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #3280

That recipe thing gets me too but, on reflection, it is free and google invited me, not the website owner (or did they?).

But I have a suggestion about the speaker phone in the commons. Since it is in the commons, why move to the phone guy's common table and tell him you can hear better from close up. Then proceed to talk respond to his friend on the line before he can.

Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote