Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #3761
Administrator

As someone who has spent the majority of his professional life in the law, let me just say that legal/illegal often bears only a tenuous relationship with right/wrong.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #3762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
As long as I'm not driving with my brights on, I'm not breaking any laws.
If you are stopped by the local constable, he will inform you otherwise. I'd imagine in most locations you'd get a "fix-it ticket" with no fine if you demonstrate that you've gotten it repaired, but that's not a given.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #3763
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As someone who has spent the majority of his professional life in the law, let me just say that legal/illegal often bears only a tenuous relationship with right/wrong.
And as someone who has spent the majority of his professional life as an automotive engineer, let me say that 2018/new often bears a tenuous relationship with correctly adjusted/manufactured.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #3764
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Even if no one ever flashes you again in this lifetime I think you should get them checked. Better safe than sorry - you don't want some old geezer with cataracts blinded by your lights and go into "moth mode".
Yeah or someone who has a few grand invested in after market light bars and extra high powered lights. Might seem like a challenge to the wrong person. Seems like seeing who can brake check whom?

DW is on her 4th Wrangler(sometimes know for high set lighting), I don't want to see anyone flash us. Worse yet is someone playing the headlight game. Nothing good ever happened from blindness while driving.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #3765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If you are stopped by the local constable, he will inform you otherwise. I'd imagine in most locations you'd get a "fix-it ticket" with no fine if you demonstrate that you've gotten it repaired, but that's not a given.
+1
Old 11-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #3766
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What grounds would a law enforcement officer have to stop me? Geez, I said that 2 people flashed/honked at me over the last week because they incorrectly assumed I was driving with my brights on and several of you are taking the position that they must be right. And I'm not the only one who has had that experience.

I guess that could be a new pet peeve. People who jump to incorrect conclusions without having all the facts.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #3767
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What grounds would a law enforcement officer have to stop me? Geez, I said that 2 people flashed/honked at me over the last week because they incorrectly assumed I was driving with my brights on and several of you are taking the position that they must be right.

I can't tell if you are pulling my leg or not. If one of those drivers blinded by your headlights is a police officer, there is a chance he will turn around and pull you over. You may then get a ticket for driving with misadjusted headlights. This is the same type of ticket you'd get if your directional signals failed to work. Whether the bulb was burned out or you just didn't use the signal, you'd still get a ticket.

Why do you think people believe you are driving with your high beams on? If you are driving with your low beams on, but they are adjusted incorrectly, it is just as annoying and dangerous. They are flashing their lights and honking their horns because you are creating an annoying or unsafe situation--and neither they (nor the police officer) is likely to care much if it is because you are driving with your high beams on or with "low beams" adjusted too high or too far left. Both situations are against the law, and both can result in a citation.

IMO, you really should fix this, and not wait (months?) until your next oil change. Would you knowingly drive with your high-beams on for months? If you have reason to suspect you are driving with mis-adjusted headlights that are blinding other drivers (and you do--they ain't flashing their lights and honking their horns just to see if they work), how is it different?
What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #3768
Give me a forum ...

What is your pet peeve of the day?

If someone signals you that they think your brights are on but they’re not, they’re mistaken but have no way of knowing that.

If they just flick their lamps quickly, it’s unnecessary (but only you know that) but harmless as you will shortly be the proverbial two ships.

I think it’s best to just let it go in most circumstances but it’s fine to rate as a peeve.

[ADDED] There seems to be some custom around here to flash lights as a “heads-up” for things like an accident just occurred or a police car is off to the side checking speed. You don’t know just why Blinky is flashing.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #3769
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps, but my 2018 Chevy Equinox is only a year old and the headlights are not out of alignment. A quick Google search indicates that this is a common issue when other drivers aren't accustomed to the brightness of the HID headlights.

I used to rarely drive in the dark. About a year ago, someone flashed their lights at me on a rural road late at night. I didn't think much of it at the time. Lately, I'm driving after dark regularly. One day last week, an oncoming driver leaned on their horn as they passed me. Yesterday, while it was still light outside, I was stopped to make a left turn. An oncoming driver flashed their lights at me. My headlights were on because it was raining, as is the law in my state.

As far as I can tell, it's their ignorance, not me breaking any laws. I'm not sure this would be wise, but I've read that when it happens to others, they flash back, so the person can clearly see that they weren't driving with their brights on.

I would say that there still is a problem with something in your vehicle.... I now have my second car with HID and I almost never get flashed unless I really do have my highs on...
Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #3770
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would say that there still is a problem with something in your vehicle.... I now have my second car with HID and I almost never get flashed unless I really do have my highs on...
Right. When they first came out, the very distinct pattern of lights from the HIDs caused many people to believe a they were high beams. That's quite uncommon now >>unless the headlights really are misadjusted.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #3771
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
......... People who jump to incorrect conclusions ...........
That's how I get my exercise.

But seriously, you owe it to yourself to at least park it in the street and walk away far enough to see if the headlights are indeed glaring.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #3772
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What grounds would a law enforcement officer have to stop me? Geez, I said that 2 people flashed/honked at me over the last week because they incorrectly assumed I was driving with my brights on and several of you are taking the position that they must be right. And I'm not the only one who has had that experience.

I guess that could be a new pet peeve. People who jump to incorrect conclusions without having all the facts.
It's called "defective equipment".
Old 11-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #3773
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t think anyone has ever flashed their lights at me if my brights weren’t on. I did get pulled over by one of Chicago’s finest late one night for not having my lights on at all.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #3774
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don’t think anyone has ever flashed their lights at me if my brights weren’t on. I did get pulled over by one of Chicago’s finest late one night for not having my lights on at all.
I had that happen to me in New Orleans, in an area with lots of bright street lights so I didn't realize my headlights were off. I thought I was sunk! But gosh, was I ever lucky. He let me go with just a warning (and a frighteningly stern lecture).

I have had people flash their lights at me, and then once gaining my attention, pointing at a tire that had lost pressure or some such thing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #3775

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
He let me go with just a warning
Gotta love that "Moderator Emeritus" bumper sticker!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #3776
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yeah, you wouldn't believe the perks!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #3777

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I can't tell if you are pulling my leg or not. If one of those drivers blinded by your headlights is a police officer, there is a chance he will turn around and pull you over. You may then get a ticket for driving with misadjusted headlights. This is the same type of ticket you'd get if your directional signals failed to work. Whether the bulb was burned out or you just didn't use the signal, you'd still get a ticket.

Why do you think people believe you are driving with your high beams on? If you are driving with your low beams on, but they are adjusted incorrectly, it is just as annoying and dangerous. They are flashing their lights and honking their horns because you are creating an annoying or unsafe situation--and neither they (nor the police officer) is likely to care much if it is because you are driving with your high beams on or with "low beams" adjusted too high or too far left. Both situations are against the law, and both can result in a citation.

IMO, you really should fix this, and not wait (months?) until your next oil change. Would you knowingly drive with your high-beams on for months? If you have reason to suspect you are driving with mis-adjusted headlights that are blinding other drivers (and you do--they ain't flashing their lights and honking their horns just to see if they work), how is it different?
No, I'm not pulling your leg. I apologize for the novel, but I really feel like I'm being torn to shreds here, with some people convinced that I've got defective headlights and am being irresponsible for not rushing to have them fixed because of 2 people out of the hundreds who have driven past me over the last week. Really think about that, would you?

In response to the bold parts above:

How do you know that other drivers are being blinded by my headlights? My original statement said nothing to that effect. As to why I thought 2 people flashed/honked at me last week, I wondered about it and Googled it. I read that people may do this for a few reasons, one of which can be when they think someone is driving with their bright lights. I know that my HID headlights are brighter than the ones on our former 2005 van and also on our 2012 Fusion. I wondered if other Chevy Equinox owners also experienced this. I found a Chevy Equinox forum where people were talking about this dating back to 2016, getting flashed because the headlights are brighter than many people are used to. I then, maybe incorrectly, thought that might be why I was getting flashed/honked at. On the first occasion, it was dark. Yesterday, it was the middle of the afternoon, but it was raining, so my headlights were on, per state law.

You jump to the conclusion that people are justified in flashing/honking because I'm creating an annoying or dangerous situation. Unless you were there to witness it, you really don't know why.

As I guess, I really don't. In fact, since I wasn't the only car on the road, maybe I wasn't even the one being flashed or honked at. I assumed it because they did it as they approached my car. Maybe it was directed at a car behind me. I've seen people around here driving in the dark without their headlights on, which is crazy. This afternoon it was raining. Again. Most people had their headlights on. A few didn't. No one flashed/honked today, so the great majority of approaching drivers don't appear to have a problem with my headlights, otherwise I'd think I'd be getting flashed/honked every day I drove with my headlights on. Also, in this area, police officers are a frequent sight. I've driven next to/in front of/approached in oncoming traffic/sat next to/beside while stopped at traffic lights, police vehicles regularly, both local police and highway state patrol, with my headlights on many, many times each week. None has seen fit to stop me yet for having headlights that some might think are too bright. And if I'm still not sure, I could walk across the street and ask my retired police officer neighbor to take a look-see.

That's why I posted it as a pet peeve. I didn't think it was a problem with my headlights, but with a couple of other drivers making an incorrect judgment. Both times it happened, I was on the same street, not a minute from my house, in about the same place, but at 2 entirely different times of the day. I've been driving 60 miles a day on most days the last month, taking my son (who has autism and moderate to severe hearing loss in one ear) to his new job. That's a lot of miles with no other drivers flashing/honking. If I really had a problem with my headlights, I'd honestly expect a lot more of it.

I'm not going to waste any more time going back and forth with you on this. I've spent more time here than is warranted and I really regret having posted this peeve at all. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That's how I get my exercise.

But seriously, you owe it to yourself to at least park it in the street and walk away far enough to see if the headlights are indeed glaring.
Actually, I have done that. I didn't think it was necessary to have added that to my original and brief pet peeve. I didn't anticipate being torn to shreds over this. Before I even posted my pet peeve, I checked! I can't get any more detailed than this. I checked my headlights against my white garage door in the dark. The light they give is even on each side and from top to bottom. The low beams give a nice bright white rectangle extending an equal distance on each side of the car. I got out of the car and walked a distance away. I looked at them from the side. There is nothing that looks abnormal about the light beams. They are even and straight. The high beams produce two higher humps, evenly spaced, extending above the white rectangle. When I'm driving down the street at night and I'm the only car in the area at the moment, the road in front of me and to the sides is lit evenly all the way across. I can see a small animal that is about to dart into the street from a tree lawn before I'm close enough to be a danger to it.

This is all on low beams. I don't have a reason to use my high beams, even on a rural road. I can't put them on by accident and not know it. My headlights are set to Auto. They come on when lighting conditions warrant it and when the wipers are going. There is a green indicator on the dashboard when the low beams are on. It changes to blue if I put the high beams on. You can't mistake the difference.

Because of all this contention, which I'm quite surprised at actually, I asked my husband to check the headlights tonight. He said there is nothing wrong with them. He knows quite a bit more about vehicles than I do, being a software engineer in the commercial vehicle industry. He said that because an SUV sits higher, the lights may be more at someone's eye level in a vehicle that sits lower, and HID headlights are brighter. They look white, not yellow. Someone might get the wrong idea that I'm driving with the brights on, because my headlights are brighter than what they're used to seeing. That is all it is.

Next time I take the car in for a free car wash at the dealer (sooner than I'm due for my next free oil change), I will inquire if they've heard of/or experienced other drivers mistaking Chevy HID headlights for brights. Over and out.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #3778
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Are you still getting your quarterly dividend check for services rendered?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #3779

Quote:
I'm not going to waste any more time going back and forth with you on this. I've spent more time here than is warranted and I really regret having posted this peeve at all. Seriously.
You are not alone with your regret. Seriously.

note: emphasis by the duck
Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #3780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I'm not pulling your leg. I apologize for the novel, but I really feel like I'm being torn to shreds here, with some people convinced that I've got defective headlights and am being irresponsible for not rushing to have them fixed because of 2 people out of the hundreds who have driven past me over the last week. Really think about that, would you?

In response to the bold parts above:

How do you know that other drivers are being blinded by my headlights? My original statement said nothing to that effect. As to why I thought 2 people flashed/honked at me last week, I wondered about it and Googled it. I read that people may do this for a few reasons, one of which can be when they think someone is driving with their bright lights. I know that my HID headlights are brighter than the ones on our former 2005 van and also on our 2012 Fusion. I wondered if other Chevy Equinox owners also experienced this. I found a Chevy Equinox forum where people were talking about this dating back to 2016, getting flashed because the headlights are brighter than many people are used to. I then, maybe incorrectly, thought that might be why I was getting flashed/honked at. On the first occasion, it was dark. Yesterday, it was the middle of the afternoon, but it was raining, so my headlights were on, per state law.

You jump to the conclusion that people are justified in flashing/honking because I'm creating an annoying or dangerous situation. Unless you were there to witness it, you really don't know why.

As I guess, I really don't. In fact, since I wasn't the only car on the road, maybe I wasn't even the one being flashed or honked at. I assumed it because they did it as they approached my car. Maybe it was directed at a car behind me. I've seen people around here driving in the dark without their headlights on, which is crazy. This afternoon it was raining. Again. Most people had their headlights on. A few didn't. No one flashed/honked today, so the great majority of approaching drivers don't appear to have a problem with my headlights, otherwise I'd think I'd be getting flashed/honked every day I drove with my headlights on. Also, in this area, police officers are a frequent sight. I've driven next to/in front of/approached in oncoming traffic/sat next to/beside while stopped at traffic lights, police vehicles regularly, both local police and highway state patrol, with my headlights on many, many times each week. None has seen fit to stop me yet for having headlights that some might think are too bright. And if I'm still not sure, I could walk across the street and ask my retired police officer neighbor to take a look-see.

That's why I posted it as a pet peeve. I didn't think it was a problem with my headlights, but with a couple of other drivers making an incorrect judgment. Both times it happened, I was on the same street, not a minute from my house, in about the same place, but at 2 entirely different times of the day. I've been driving 60 miles a day on most days the last month, taking my son (who has autism and moderate to severe hearing loss in one ear) to his new job. That's a lot of miles with no other drivers flashing/honking. If I really had a problem with my headlights, I'd honestly expect a lot more of it.

Actually, I have done that. I didn't think it was necessary to have added that to my original and brief pet peeve. I didn't anticipate being torn to shreds over this. Before I even posted my pet peeve, I checked! I can't get any more detailed than this. I checked my headlights against my white garage door in the dark. The light they give is even on each side and from top to bottom. The low beams give a nice bright white rectangle extending an equal distance on each side of the car. I got out of the car and walked a distance away. I looked at them from the side. There is nothing that looks abnormal about the light beams. They are even and straight. The high beams produce two higher humps, evenly spaced, extending above the white rectangle. When I'm driving down the street at night and I'm the only car in the area at the moment, the road in front of me and to the sides is lit evenly all the way across. I can see a small animal that is about to dart into the street from a tree lawn before I'm close enough to be a danger to it.

This is all on low beams. I don't have a reason to use my high beams, even on a rural road. I can't put them on by accident and not know it. My headlights are set to Auto. They come on when lighting conditions warrant it and when the wipers are going. There is a green indicator on the dashboard when the low beams are on. It changes to blue if I put the high beams on. You can't mistake the difference.

Because of all this contention, which I'm quite surprised at actually, I asked my husband to check the headlights tonight. He said there is nothing wrong with them. He knows quite a bit more about vehicles than I do, being a software engineer in the commercial vehicle industry. He said that because an SUV sits higher, the lights may be more at someone's eye level in a vehicle that sits lower, and HID headlights are brighter. They look white, not yellow. Someone might get the wrong idea that I'm driving with the brights on, because my headlights are brighter than what they're used to seeing. That is all it is.

Next time I take the car in for a free car wash at the dealer (sooner than I'm due for my next free oil change), I will inquire if they've heard of/or experienced other drivers mistaking Chevy HID headlights for brights. Over and out.

Check your first post... you never said it was 1 person flashing and 1 honking the horn....

You sounded like it was common and if it were then that means something was wrong with your car...
Closed Thread