Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #3861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Adding "I think" makes it an opinion. Without it it is stated as fact. "I think" is appropriate if stating a hypothesis rather than a proven fact.
If that's true, why didn't you write?

"I think that adding 'I think' makes it an opinion."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #3862

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Why it’s a problem: ”I believe,” “I feel,” and “I think” do not inspire confidence in the reader—they do the exact opposite. Their use causes the reader to question the author’s authenticity and honesty. These words make the writer sound unsure of themselves and the topic discussed. It also forces the writer to overuse pronouns and that’s bad news.
OTOH, for a person who writes nonfiction pieces for publication, using "I think" can be wise. Without that phrase, the statement is potentially falsifiable. With it, you can't refute the statement.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #3863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cogito, ergo sum. - René Descartes
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 12-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #3864
Give me a forum ...

Given today's social climate shouldn't it be "I feel" rather than "I think"?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #3865

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Cogito, ergo sum. - René Descartes
René Descartes walks into a bar and orders a drink.
When he finishes his drink, the bartender asks him if he would like another.
Descartes replies, “No, I think not,” and disappears in a puff of logic.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #3866

My pet peeve is people who lounge on the weight machines between sets.

I was using the weight machines at the gym yesterday. My routine is to do one set of reps on each of 12-15 machines. I prefer to do them in a specific order, but will vary the order if a machine is in use. After I finished the leg adductor machine, I would typically move to the abductor machine but there was a woman using it so I moved to another in my routine. I kept monitoring the situation as I moved from exercise to exercise, hoping to jump back to the abductor. But this woman was doing multiple sets, then sitting on the machine as she rested between sets. I even saw her taking on her phone while sitting on the machine.

Finally, I was finished with all my other stopes and had only the abductor left. The same woman was sitting there still, resting between sets. I approached and asked if I could sneak in between sets. She “I’m not finished yet, I have one more set” to which I replied you’ve been here for a long time, I’d like to get one set while you rest. Then she got all indignant and said “ I don’t have to get off for anyone”. I pointed out that it is proper etiquette to let others work in between sets but she started arguing, so I just walked away.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #3867
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post

I was using the weight machines at the gym yesterday. My routine is to do one set of reps on each of 12-15 machines. I prefer to do them in a specific order, but will vary the order if a machine is in use.
+1000
We work out the same as you do. With regulars at the gym most* are happy to let someone work in. Tourists not so much.

* One lady's not, I don't even know her name, but she told me how I should vote last November.[emoji23] I gave her my name and no politics. That was our introduction, haven't had a need to talk since.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #3868

News articles that start with the contraction, “Here’s...”. It helps me realize my advanced writing skills compared to the average journalist. This especially spears in local news.

“Here’s what happened today.” “Here’s all what you need to know about...”

It is saying “Here in this article I, the non-expert who writes poorly in a topic about which I know nothing.”
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #3869

I add an implied "I think" to anyone's posting on the internet, or even in face to face discussions. Whether they say it, or I mentally add it, it is so much easier for me to deal with. Then I decide to categorize it as a fact or as an opinion.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #3870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Even worse... people who try to "reserve" a machine even when not on it.

Monday I was working out. There are 2 leg machines - I do not know their official names, so I call them "the spreader" (spread against the resistance) and "the squeezer" (squeeze to the resistance). As I approach the spreader machine a woman gets there and puts her bag, towel, etc. next to it and sits on it to use. No problem, I move on to a different machine. After I finish a couple of other machines the spreader is free, but her stuff is still on the floor next to it, and the woman is now on the squeezer machine, texting.

So, I go and sit on the spreader to use it - and the woman says "excuse me, I'm still using that one".

I gave her a puzzled look at said "Hmm... did the laws of physics change so that a body can be in two places at and the same, and thus occupy 2 machines at once?"

Now it were her turn to give me a puzzled look, so while she tried to figure out my statement I just smiled and proceeded to do my set on the spreader machine, then got up and said "well, physics does not matter at this point, I'm done", and walked away.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #3871
Recycles dryer sheets

People who insist on blocking the shopping aisle with their baskets. I give them one "excuse me" and then move their basket. I don't know if most are just unaware of their action or if they are aware and just don't care.

I hate rudeness.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #3872
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
People who insist on blocking the shopping aisle with their baskets. I give them one "excuse me" and then move their basket. I don't know if most are just unaware of their action or if they are aware and just don't care.

I hate rudeness.
Especially bad are the ones who position the basket at a near 90 degree angle to shelves, thus guaranteeing maximum blockage.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #3873
Give me a forum ...

Men wearing hats indoors. Especially veterans. They should know better.
Next up is sunglasses on indoors.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #3874

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Men wearing hats indoors. Especially veterans. They should know better.
Next up is sunglasses on indoors.

You wouldn't say that if you saw what us vets heads looked like. Why wash or even comb what hair I got left if I can just put a cap on it.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #3875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
You wouldn't say that if you saw what us vets heads looked like. Why wash or even comb what hair I got left if I can just put a cap on it.
I am a veteran. Active duty 67-70. Do know vets heads look like, including mine. And see what is left of hair it in the miror.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #3876
Recycles dryer sheets

People attending social gatherings when they have an easily transmissible illness like a cough/cold.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #3877
Give me a forum ...

Businesses that provide an e-mail address and then don't monitor or respond to it. Examples:

1. I need an annual inspection of my sprinkler system backflow valve. Company that performed the inspection e-mailed the result to the water company. A few weeks later I got a nasty note from water company telling me my backflow valve was "seriously overdue" for inspection. Called the inspection company, learned they'd e-mailed it, called the water company and they found the e-mail. So- I have to TELL you to check your e-mails?

2. Wanted to make a trip to a favorite boot shop an hour from home on 12/31 but wanted to know if they'd be open regular hours on NY Eve. (No indication on web site). E-mailed them asking the question on 12/30 (a Sunday and they close on Sunday). Got a robo-response but it's now Wednesday and no answer from a human. I'm still waiting.

3. I've been making $5,000 pledges payable over 5 years to a local charity I support and occasionally they overlap and I owe $2,000 in one year. Wasn't sure if 2018 was one of those years. E-mailed them at address provided on web site and asked if I owed another $1K in addition to what I'd already paid. No response. I think I'll find another charity that will acknowledge my existence.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #3878
Give me a forum ...

Lying clickbait. Here are two examples:

I clicked on the top one, and none of the eighteen gadgets were the interesting ring device. For the lower one, the woman appeared nowhere.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #3879

Impenetrable product packaging comes in many forms. Most recent I've faced is a tight, very tough plastic covering the cap on a bottle. This overseal has no perforations and no edges by which to grab it. I finally wedged a flat blade screwdriver under it and twisted to split the plastic, except the screwdriver broke first!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #3880

Or how about the "easy open tab"? You know the one that rips off the package without even making a dent in the perforations?
And how about toilet paper? Isn't it supposed to tear along the perforations? Quite often I will leave the TP with about a foot or two of a 1/4" long thread hanging. They couldn't make it that way if they tried!