What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Math is just so hard. Especially those darned percentages. And fractions.

Yup! That's why an MSNBC journalist and an editor for the NY times thinks that Bloomberg could have given each American One Million Dollars with what he spent on his campaign. It's actually about $1.50 each. You can't make this stuff up.

My bet is that some technician on the set (camera, sound, power, lighting, etc.) probably noticed their error and let them know.

I remember when the [-]chicken entrail readers[/-] "meteorologists" here in Canada started using millimetres instead of centimetres.

Because, of course, BIG NUMBER IS SCARY !!

Mark my words. In a few years they'll have switched to microns.

Latest pet peeve occurs when walking toddler and pup on a leash in neighborhood. Cars lined up one behind the other in driveways totally blocking the sidewalk so we have to go behind the car and several feet into the street before getting back on sidewalk. Totally inconsiderate for walkers, strollers, wheelchairs, ect.

Trying to teach our little one to stay on the sidewalk but navigating into the street to get around these cars makes it tough. With so much texting while driving I do get a bit anxious. It will be better when playgrounds open again but until then, neighborhood walks are our best shot at a healthy appetite and quality nap.

I would imagine having the toddler on the leash helps to keep him/her on the sidewalk :LOL::LOL::LOL::flowers:

Latest pet peeve occurs when walking toddler and pup on a leash in neighborhood. Cars lined up one behind the other in driveways totally blocking the sidewalk so we have to go behind the car and several feet into the street before getting back on sidewalk. Totally inconsiderate for walkers, strollers, wheelchairs, ect.

Trying to teach our little one to stay on the sidewalk but navigating into the street to get around these cars makes it tough. With so much texting while driving I do get a bit anxious. It will be better when playgrounds open again but until then, neighborhood walks are our best shot at a healthy appetite and quality nap.

It is not only inconsiderate, it’s illegal to park a car on the sidewalk. You can call your local police department and let them know, if there is a repeat offender.

An update.

It's obvious that they already sold my name off. The mail solicitations have started. Each one comes with a postage paid envelope to send in my subscription or donation. So I cross out the part to put my payment method and write a note to REMOVE MY NAME FROM YOUR LISTS. DO NOT SELL MY NAME TO ANYONE and I send it back to them.

Now this probably gives a good hearty chuckle to anyone who works in the offices of these organizations but it's the only thing I can do about this so I do it. ...

Here's a nasty idea... take the reply cards and remove any information that can trace it back to you... swipe a dab of feces on the reply card before carefully folding it and putting it in the postage paid envelope and sending it back to them.

If they ever call you can claim elderly confusion of their reply with your Cologuard sample. :D

ETA: On second thought, in this age of COVID that is too nasty.... so fuggedaboutit.

Last edited:
I just needed soap pads and spent a crazy amount of time deciding what to get online. I ended up with $35 of stuff in my cart then I saw that the soap pads were only available in store, so I removed them, found something else to buy to keep the cart at the free shipping price, and checked out. I still need soap pads.

My pet peeve is the constant drumming of the fact that older vulnerable people should stay home until who knows when . Seriously folks we got the message so back off . Most of us know our risks and will adjust accordingly . No need to make us feel like lepers .

Last edited:
My pet peeve is the constant drumming of the fact that older vulnerable people should stay home until who knows when . Seriously folks we got the message so back off . Most of us know our risks and will adjust accordingly . No need to make us feel like leapers .

Stay the $#^&!*# away from me, and Wash Your Hands!!! :D

Maybe we older folks can watch Logan's Run while we are home. [emoji33]

On a more serious note, I agree. I am tired of being told the same thing over and over and over again. And I do wish we could get more granularity on the statistics for risk levels.

Now excuse me while I spray bleach on my morning grapefruit.

Last edited:
Closed captioning on TV is my peeve lately. I'm glad I can turn them on, and I do have them on always, since my hearing is awful (don't ask about hearing aids or 'TV ears', and ruin my rant), but.. Whenever I can't make out what they're saying, I wait for the words to show up on the screen, and it says 'unintelligible'. Great, so the captioner can't make out what the actor says, either! Another thing: it seems like most of the captions are created by a computer using speech recognition software, and words that aren't spoken clearly can be turned into just about anything, lol. Yeah, waddawant for free, I get it. But geez.....

Devices with connections, switches, markings and instructions that are designed to make the most simple action overly complicated and frustrating.

I think this Dilbert Cartoon hits the nail on the head.

https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-04-26

That's perfect. But, I foiled that evil genius, I use Whiteout to mark direction of my usb connections and the device. I get the unit, headphones, speaker, etc. plug it in and put a dot of Whiteout on each, so I just know to put the dots together.

I remember when the [-]chicken entrail readers[/-] "meteorologists" here in Canada started using millimetres instead of centimetres.

Because, of course, BIG NUMBER IS SCARY !!

Mark my words. In a few years they'll have switched to microns.

About 20 years ago we used to have a OZONE ALERT graph on the front of the local daily paper, a colorful noise meter look-a-like thing. We were constantly in an alert, but gradually went green, and stayed there. Then they changed the standards, and we went back into alarm stage again, and then we went green again, and then, the OZONE graph went the way of the buggy whip. No longer an unseen, life threatening, dangerous threat, I guess.

I did some volunteer editing today for, I guess it's considered an "intergovernmental organization." The top of the document was a quote in image format next to a photo of the young adult it's attributed to. She was promoting volunteering. It reads "...kick-of" instead of "...kick-off" and I fixed it in a graphics editor. I told the person I was working for what I did.

I don't know whether the error was introduced during transcribing from something spoken or not. I don't believe the error changes the intended meaning but I fixed it anyway. I also don't believe it's conceivable that the source would refuse to approve a correction or refuse to resubmit the quote with correct spelling. And it's not like this is news reporting. Nobody told me what style guide to conform to. Using "[sic]" would ruin the effect of the document IMO. I think I did the right thing but with every hour that passes without a reply I'm thinking my "boss" is disappointed.

Last week I ordered three things online from Princess Auto (our version of Harbor Freight). Two replacement wagon tires, a compressor airgun and some grommets with a setter. They're due to arrive by post on Monday.

Just got next weeks store flyer. ALL THREE ARE ON SALE ! With tax the difference is nearly 50 bucks. I guess a store visit for returns is in my future.

"If it wasn't for bad timing, I'd have none"

Experts. When they want to promulgate rules for the general public from their narrow areas of experise.

Closed captioning on TV is my peeve lately. I'm glad I can turn them on, and I do have them on always, since my hearing is awful (don't ask about hearing aids or 'TV ears', and ruin my rant), but.. Whenever I can't make out what they're saying, I wait for the words to show up on the screen, and it says 'unintelligible'. Great, so the captioner can't make out what the actor says, either! Another thing: it seems like most of the captions are created by a computer using speech recognition software, and words that aren't spoken clearly can be turned into just about anything, lol. Yeah, waddawant for free, I get it. But geez.....

Depends on what you are watching? If it's a scripted show the transcriber would have a copy of the script so they KNOW what the words are supposed to be. In fact the closed caption is already imbedded at the factory.

Sometimes a character will ask a question and the response of the other character is a disgruntled, or annoyed stream of mumbles designed to be obscenities that you can't say on TV. Hence "unintelligible." If your hearing good enough to sort of keep you in the game you can get the wrong impression.

If it's a sporting event or other live thing people will talk too fast, talk all at once, be overridden by a surge in crowd noise etc. A court stenographer can interrupt and ask for a restatement. On live TV with a transcriptionist OR a speech recognition machine you can't get that.

I think I did the right thing but with every hour that passes without a reply I'm thinking my "boss" is disappointed.

Another possibility is that nobody noticed. That frequently happens with good deeds.:)

I think I did the right thing but with every hour that passes without a reply I'm thinking my "boss" is disappointed.

One of the early life lessons in my career was when the boss' boss chewed me out for correcting his obvious and really basic grammatical error in a letter he gave me that I was supposed to finish up. I should have put the wording back the way he had it originally.

I think I spent about a full working day editing the 567 words and doing the graphic work so I may well have changed more than they wanted. I joined another forum where I may post my edit and get opinions. English isn't the native language of any of the people involved in what I'm editing as far as I know. And there was some odd punctuation, like two instances of a comma between a closing quote a dash before the name of an author.

I think I spent about a full working day editing the 567 words and doing the graphic work so I may well have changed more than they wanted. I joined another forum where I may post my edit and get opinions. English isn't the native language of any of the people involved in what I'm editing as far as I know. And there was some odd punctuation, like two instances of a comma between a closing quote a dash before the name of an author.

But is it an em-dash or an en-dash? :D

But is it an em-dash or an en-dash? :D

Don't think I don't check that. It was an en-dash which was wrong but I didn't change the one in the image. So I guess I'm not a perfectionist. The one in the plain text was two hyphens. I replaced that one with a proper em-dash.

Last edited:
Replaced 20 lb CO2 tank on kegerator and thought it was tight. It was empty after less than a week. Thirty five bucks into thin air.

Did a soap bubble test on second new tank connection to regulator. I have beer again! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom