Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #4061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
You are being 'robocalled' by telemarketers, no doubt. I'm surprised you haven't been robo'd already. I started getting them about 6 months ago. I bought a digital answering machine to save my old anlaog answering machine from the abuse. I also have turned off the ringer (landline) and I just check my messages now and then. My machine doesn't identify where the calls are coming from.

Evidently, it’s called a One Ring Scam and part of some fresh hell of this digital age. I haven’t called them back but it’s a pain when they wake me up in the middle of the night, getting me out of bed to check that it’s not my family trying to reach me. Here’s an article about it and I just hope it doesn’t get worse or happen to others here: https://www.napstersecurity.com/post...tional-numbers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 AM   #4062

I have all of my ringers turned off, land line and my cell phone. Once my teenager was out of the house and on his own, I turned them all off at night.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #4063

One of my favorite things is the "Do Not Disturb" function on my phone.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #4064

My new Moto x4 with the "do not disturb" allows me to turn it face down to put it into dnd mode. I can also set it so that only certain calls or texts will come through. No need to be woken up except for family emergencies.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:06 AM   #4065
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I twice got one of these calls from a number in Mauritania. They were early morning calls. I blocked the number and haven’t been bothered since.
What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #4066
Recycles dryer sheets

Lately this one is annoying - all sorts of “tipping opportunities”. I’m not really at the place where I’d like to donate 20% for you to reach into that display case and place a $6 sticky bun on a plate and then slide it to me at checkout.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #4067
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
Lately this one is annoying - all sorts of “tipping opportunities”. I’m not really at the place where I’d like to donate 20% for you to reach into that display case and place a sticky bun on a plate and then slide it to me at checkout.
I recently saw a prominent tip jar at a self-serve breakfast bar at a hotel. There was certainly no personal service being provided.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #4068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I recently saw a prominent tip jar at a self-serve breakfast bar at a hotel. There was certainly no personal service being provided.
I think typically there is a part time person who comes in early to set it up and keep it stocked during the morning. Seems very similar to leaving a tip for the housekeeper who cleans your room and makes the bed. Those folks are not well paid for the most part.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #4069
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think typically there is a part time person who comes in early to set it up and keep it stocked during the morning. Seems very similar to leaving a tip for the housekeeper who cleans your room and makes the bed. Those folks are not well paid for the most part.

Yes, this is the counterpoint. I was a waitress at one point and tips were a substantial part of my income. And, perhaps due to my generation, I associate them with a personal level of service. I often do contribute to the tip jar in recognition that workers, seen or unseen, aren’t paid much. For some reason, there are just times when it is, well, wearying.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #4070
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A housekeeper cleaning my room is providing a personal service. Someone stocking a donut bin is not, as I see it.

And tipping is not based on peoples' pay levels. It is based on tradition and personal service.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #4071
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
The tipping situation is becoming chaotic. It will take a miracle for it to come under control.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #4072
Moderator Emeritus

A tip jar probably isn’t even very effective if people aren’t having to pull out their wallets to pay for something and then get change, which probably makes up most of the $ that goes into a tip jar. (DH does slip the breakfast person a little something at these hotels.)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #4073

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
Lately this one is annoying - all sorts of “tipping opportunities”. I’m not really at the place where I’d like to donate 20% for you to reach into that display case and place a $6 sticky bun on a plate and then slide it to me at checkout.
+1

I won't tip if I have to place my order at a counter and collect it at a counter. What makes such places think they're doing anything much different than a typical fast food place, where they're not allowed to accept tips? In fact, they're doing less, as noted above.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #4074
Give me a forum ...

Tipping is supposed to be for extra service. The one exception is the full service restaurant industry, IMHO It was never meant to to supplement an employer's lower wages.

When will employers's start doing their job: Evaluate and pay their employees? I don't buy an over-the-counter muffin because I have a need to do somebody else's work.

And, Get Off My Lawn!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #4075
Recycles dryer sheets

I think what also contributes to a ubiquitous tipping annoyance is that in many retail situations, I must designate if I want to donate to help homeless pets, help a needy family, or any number of other fine endeavors. What I’d really like (I think) is to simply purchase the item and that, anonymously, thank you (I’ll worry about navigating my own idea of rewards) . It just seems more and more my retail transactions have morphed into something that requires answering multiple questions.

I’m an active charity donator and volunteer and would just rather do this on my own than answer “No” every single time I buy groceries. For many it may be a real convenience for me not so much.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #4076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
For a month I’ve been receiving calls at all hours of the day and night from Armenia, Slovenia, Republic of Georgia, and other countries I have no connection to. Has anyone else been similarly blessed?
That's me who has been calling you all hours of the day and night from everywhere. You might consider answering your damn phone. Apparently, this forum is the best way for me to reach you. Anyhow, I was wondering if you needed your carpets to be cleaned.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #4077

Who in the world would place a call back to an international number they don't recognize?

Enough to make it pay off for the crooks, apparently.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #4078
Gone but not forgotten

My pet peeve is that the posts from Trolls get deleted just as they are getting interesting !
Old 04-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #4079

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
That's me who has been calling you all hours of the day and night from everywhere. You might consider answering your damn phone. Apparently, this forum is the best way for me to reach you. Anyhow, I was wondering if you needed your carpets to be cleaned.
I decided to stop being so paranoid, so I told someone on Craigslist my cell phone number. A few days later I got an angry message on my cell phone telling me to stop calling. Maybe my cell number is now being used as a fake local number for these darn robocallers. I suggest public beatings for robocallers !
Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #4080
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I decided to stop being so paranoid, so I told someone on Craigslist my cell phone number. A few days later I got an angry message on my cell phone telling me to stop calling. Maybe my cell number is now being used as a fake local number for these darn robocallers. I suggest public beatings for robocallers !

+1000000 I’d kinda like MY phone to just be for MY use and not have to keep it on DND simply to screen robocalls. A pox on anyone making their living this way....